Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭moneyheer

Heard today head mechanic was let go and he has taken a fair chunk of business with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭Grueller

If that's CL he hasn't even his apprenticeship finished. Savage mechanic but for a dealership that size to have a man like that as the go to man is a joke to be fair. Between him and the man in Poulpeasty Cooney Furlong and the motor company could close the workshops bar warranty work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Have you it with a while? Do you need a big tractor infront of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭ginger22

Got last year. Easy to pull but you would need 6 cylinder tractor or front weights as it is heavy. We have 175 HP on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Have you done MSS with it? How well does it work with such variety of seed size?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭ginger22

It can handle all seed types. Getting good take with clover also.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Getting water contamination in fuel light after washing tractor what should I do?

Post edited by mickey1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭hopeso

Start by draining the glass bowl at the bottom of the fuel filter. If that doesn't work, you could try replacing the filters.

Do you think water has entered the tank? If so, it will be better off to drain it before fitting new filters.

Is it possible that it's just the sensor sending a false signal after getting wet? Are any other warning lights showing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A question - why do countries like the US and Australia use crash gearboxes in their trucks/HGV's but we have to clutch for every gear. I remember moving an old Leyland lorry forty years ago and I had to double clutch between gears - what type of gearbox was it?

I've been watching a few farming youtubers from the US and other than selecting first gear they don't use the clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not a lot of knowledge on trucks here but the crash box is the one that you have to double clutch to change gears. As far as I know there are no synchros in the gear box. I presume the gearboxes in the American trucks that you mention are some version of an automatic/tiptronic ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

You don't need to clutch between changing gears, you just need to get correct rpm. Slip into neutral, match rpm, slip into next gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭hopeso

The gearbox in the Leyland would have been a constant mesh, similar to what was in 100 series Masseys and most other tractors of that era. The method most commonly use to change gear in those tractors was to actually stop the tractor between gear changes simply because there wouldn’t be enough momentum to have time to double clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Suckler

Have a Massey 3075 here that cant engage 3rs & 4th gear due to the selector rail being welded to the fork coming from the gear stick. What I need to do (because breaking the weld would be impossible) is replace the rail...I think.

Does anyone know if the plate shown on the side can be taken off without and the rail replaced without causing an issue? Its not numbered below but the fork numbered 16 would be similar set up. I think that's the forward/reverse selector; gear selector would be the next shaft beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

We don't have to clutch as we have synchronous gearboxes in most things now. It's just bred into us that it's mechanical savagery to not cutch for a gear change.

In saying that though, the synchros in European gearboxes are soft and you wouldn't be long wearing one out.

As said, the double clutch is a crash gearbox with no synchros. The reason for the double clutch is to match the output shaft speed with the engine rpm to make it easier to slot into gear without crunching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Had that plate before. Easy to take off, nothing to fall off it. Putting back needs a few more hands as you need to line up the selectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We don't have to clutch as we have synchronous gearboxes in most things now. It's just bred into us that it's mechanical savagery to not cutch for a gear change.

In saying that though, the synchros in European gearboxes are soft and you wouldn't be long wearing one out.

That's the point I was trying to refer too in my post. Why don't we have the same type of gearboxes in Ireland/Europe. Is it due to topography?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Not entirely sure. My guess is it may be from a mechanical POV possibly. It is far easier replace a clutch plate than a synchro but I haven't a clue. We like to do things differently 😀. Lots of things they do that we don't. Some good,some bad.

We don't like bullnose"s here but you would very rarely see a cabover in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

EUROPEAN vs AMERICAN Cabover Semi Trucks! - YouTube

This guy discusses some of the differences in clutching, but I think he may have over complicated the European shifting. Have a read of the comments as they are quite informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Have you 'ono' wrote in the add, I'd sometimes pass an add if I thought there was no negotiation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭mayota

Delete the ad and re-list with a more realistic price that you're happy with. I think alot of saves are people keeping an eye what's selling or not. Pm me link if you wish.

• Advertisement

Looking for some advice, I'm thinking of leasing a tractor for the year instead of buying another one. The claas is doing around 1,000 hours a year and I hire in another tractor when I need it, however sometimes that's working when I'm busy so I have to do without it. Between the hire work and my own work on the farm I can see the need for a second tractor maybe 120/130hp. If I got one with a loader and GPS it could do most of the work and I could leave the claas on the hedge cutter for the winter. What would I expect to pay do you know and is it financially worth it? What kind of hours would it have to be doing ? Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

If it's a loader tractor it might move this time of year but you ll only sell a tractor this time of year mainly if the price is right.one time it used to be good time because of sfp money but thats usally spoken for nowadays. you need patience for donedeal. It may take a number of ads and you have to listen to alot of old yarns.in general if you get someone in the yard and they are serious then you drop the price.dont drop for someone on the phone that hasn't looked at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Was selling something recently and got a few messages along the lines of "... its not selling, I'll give you £x for it." with a bid of half asking price.

Pointing out problems and reasons why it wasn't selling - made me wonder why the hell they were interested as all they found with it were faults.

There seems to be chancers and vultures out there. Got it shifted in the end for near to what I was asking, but took a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭jaymla627

20 plus euro per clock hour I think to hire, with a minimum hour requirement of 500-750 depending who you deal with, are you vat registered that would take the sting out of it but if not it's an expensive way of operating but handy in your not on the hook for finance for 5-7 years

https://www.tfmltd.com/hire/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭straight

Question about a trailer for drawing bales. Recently I was drawing bales with a double axle trailer - super singles. I'd say they were worse than dual wheels or no better anyway. A lad drawing with me had 800 flotation tyres and he didn't leave a mark. I wonder would a low loader be a good option? 2 or 3 axles of dual wheels? The low loaders seem to be value Vs big new bale trailers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Nice on the road and fine in good ground conditions, once you aren’t turning too tight. Sticky duels fill up with earth and you then spent a mile depositing it out on the road. Low loaders would be a lot heavier build too, be like carrying a few bales around with you all the time.

I’d like to upgrade the wheels on the trailers here, move away from the super singles. They’ve no place in a field really anymore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

My standard answer for "what the least you ll take "question is" as much as I can get"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭enricoh

Only problem with the flotations is when you go to replace them you are at risk of a heart attack when you get the price! Anyone try low profile super singles 445mm wide Vs 385mm on super single.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Have 24ft broughan here on the low wide super singles,seem to be ok in the field,floatation were 500 more.They would have stuck out more outside the body of the trailer and left the load a nice bit higher with bales 3 high

• Advertisement

I'm vat registered for the machinery work so that's a help. If I had a loader on it, it could do feeding instead of the jcb, topping, stacking and hauling bales. When you add up the running costs of owning a tractor vs hiring there's not much in it, also you haven't to pay for repair bills

Advertisement