Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Saorview was always going peculiar plus ibox has way more channels

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Love how the 'good guys' who were on rte news earlier were allowed to rattle out a load of lies and scary words to try to warn future potential users off.

I heard viruses and ransom ware mentioned. I have experience of said boxes, and know hundreds of people using them and not one has ever experienced any such problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭TokTik

Bit of trivia on that “you wouldn’t steal a car” anti-piracy ad that used to be on videos/DVDs years ago.

They literally pirated the music in it from a Dutch musician, Melchior Reitveldt. It took him 6 years for him to get any money from them.

I heard they’ve repurposed all of the analogue tv signal vans that the license inspectors used to have hahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Butson

I have iptv, €100 a year for app and back up one too.

But let's be real here, it is theft pure and simple. Most of the servers are now in Iraq. Lads sitting in warehouses stealing and selling streams to us.

Yes Sky etc is a rip off but take the Premier league for example. They buy the rights. Marketing costs of same. Staff at games, production staff, tech, the list goes on.

They need to seriously lower rights costs to the Premiership then they wouldn't need to charge so much to recoup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I was wondering was anyone still doing pirate DVD's, yes is the answer, this 72 year old probably made a mint from the his grey pound mates not up on the internet 😁

It’s not just the cost. The fact you can’t watch any match they choose not to broadcast. No 3pm kos on Saturday etc.

There's some truth to it.

Many off-brand Android boxes - the kind you might buy on Aliexpress etc - have malware already on them. Loaded by the manufacturer or seller.

The vendors of dodgy boxes buy these Android boxes and then load them up with streaming apps, Kodi add-ons etc. Many of these apps and add-ons themselves contain malware. So it's malware on top of malware.

It's not always the case. But it often is. Most buyers are not qualified to assess whether they are affected or not. It took security researchers with packet analyzers etc to discover what some of these boxes were up to.

What the malware does can vary. Your box might be part of a botnet. They might steal credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It'll be interesting when 3D Printers can build an engine...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

On the other hand Sky makes a lot of money, subscriptions, advertising,

Cost of everything absolutely everything entertainment wise since covid has skyrocketed…. TV packages, live entertainment.. gigs / theatre etc…

literally the only things I watch on TV now is live sport and the odd comedy / documentary… so about 30 channels out of 400+.

so you can understand why dodgy boxes and tech to jump around the premium high charges exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

for most pubs it makes little since to pay for sky, they are not busy enough for the price they charge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Fair enough but dont steal it then, it looks very bad a business doing something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The not showing 3pm games is not Sky's decision.

It's the football authorities that restrict the broadcast of 3pm games, to protect the lower divisions.

Sky have no choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

Not fully possible or feasible to block custom DNS services, if you use a VPN the you’ll use the VPN’s DNS.

If the ISP decides to block VPN’s that really won’t go down well as many of us have a legitimate and fully legal reason to use (wfh which uses a custom corporate VPN). They couldn’t even run an exception based system as the corporate VPNs are configured by your employer and could change with little notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Be interesting to see if this works

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cordcuttersnews.com/the-war-on-iptv-continues-as-a-new-watermark-service-can-detecting-pirated-streams/%3famp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

you mean the pint symbol on the bottom left they have had for businesses over the last 20 + years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m not interested in getting a dodgy tv box or watching SKY for free but I would like to learn more about what free TV apps and streaming are out there and since there’s a lot of people here right now with know how knowledge, could I trouble you to point me in the direction of where I can educate myself on the weird and the wonderful of free and legitimate paid streaming apps

I don’t have a fire stick and while not quite like tracker mortgages of old, I don’t know a whole lot about what a fire stick is 😀- Netflix and Amazon prime are really the only two I subscribe to but might get paramount + for Fraiser in October if they’re showing it this side of the pond.

But would like to see what else is there and what I need to get to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We use a vpn for wfh. They are a fully legit. Isp will never block. Why would they?

That would be like saying if a burglar uses Dublin bus to travel to areas to rob houses that dublin bus are somehow complicit. Ffs.

Any paid iptv provider will more than likely be using routing on their end anyway to hide or mask the traffic.

You will never see users of these subs in court. Sure loads of gardai and solicitors are using them.

Maybe the like of disney, netflix and sky can ask actors or footballers to take a paycut to lower the price of their product.

40 million for a movie. 300k a week for football. Nah **** trying to blame the lad at home with a firestick.

And **** the pubs. They are gouging customets themselves are trying to raise the price of supermarket beer so no sympathy for them getting rode for sky subs.

Continue on lads. Its a victimless crime.

Lol. How can they detect a legit connection being broadcast outside its own network for iptv purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sky Sports is often on offer and is generally cheaper on Now TV. Nobody should be paying €80/€90 per month.

On Now TV at the moment, Sky Sports + Sky Sports Extra + Boost is €23 per month using discount codes. This is a fair price in my opinion for a genuine and reliable service.

If Sky were to advertise this as the price, I think they’d get many more subscribers.

Now TV are also relaxed about sharing. For example, my father users my Now TV login to watch the occasional match without an issue. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, I've often wondered why they did not already do this. Kill the subs as they are detected. I would say it's coming.

All Frasier episodes are available for free on the free All4 app from Channel 4. It’s a phenomenal service. Some great content

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thanks- I actually have the Fraiser box set😀 But must explore the All4 app as didn’t think Ireland could access that- is it a fire stick I need to stream it onto the TV? (If I want to watch it on the TV Vs mobile device etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sky is very limited though. For example..

If you want to watch every game for your football team each season, Sky/BT etc can't offer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The main driver is the premier league, and that isn't just cost as other's have mentioned. I generally pay for content (podcasts/ TV subs/ GCN+ & NowTV for sports), but the temptation for IPTV is every game of the club. I was actually considering vpn/ Bein subscription.

Piracy/ Streaming obviously hasn't reached the tipping point for the premier league/ subscription TV that they offer season passes for clubs. fwiw I think there'd probably still be a market for sky/ tnt for "games of the weekend" that people would watch as neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Only one 3pm available on the Saturday on Sky and that’s on Premier here in Ireland.

UK rules are now beyond old that no live games can be shown between 2.45 & 5.15 on a Saturday.

Look at Germany, all games available and the crowds are still full

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Its a victimless crime.

But it's not, and this is why.

Sky and BT (TNT sports) pay the EPL and other sports bodies to have the right to show their product.

Sky etc then make that money back and the profit by charging the customer.

The EPL and the sports bodies distribute that money they get from the TV companies to the clubs and the clubs spend it on everything from high profile players to the people who clean the stadium.

Now the financial analysts of the TV companies look at their subscription numbers and determine they are losing £x to illegal streaming.

So in turn when the next round of rights auctions come around they bid less, and as a result the sports bodies get less and the clubs get less.

So with the clubs getting less they have to cut costs.

They won't cut the salary of the high profile players straight away, but they will spend less on lower profile players, they will cut costs in maintenance, catering, admin etc.

So at the end of the day it's the guys and girls at the bottom of the ladder that lose out, they are the victims, the ordinary people like you and me.

Now don't confuse this analysis of who the victims are with any aversion to illegal streaming.

For years I've watched sports on free illegal streaming, at the end of the day I've a greater responsibility to my own family finances than the finances of a pie vendor inside Villa Park.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Now tv currently charging €39 per month for sky sport, tnt and premier sports. Nah thats not a fair price.

I'd like to watch every game my club plays. I have zero intetest in watching burnley v crystal palace.

How much would i pay to watch every game my club in every game they play? €15 a month max.

Im the potential consumer. Thats how i want to consume it. Until that can be offered then i wont be buying whole packages with 90 percent of the stuff that i have zero interest in.

Their subscription configuration is wrong. Out of date and over priced. They may not think so but the potential consumer does.

If i could get my clubs games at €15 a month for the 8 or 9 months of the season i would end my iptv sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

You don’t need a Firestick or “Dodgy Box” to access the streaming apps , they are freely available on most Smart TV’s .

Advertisement