Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

An upgrade is needed for safety. I do not believe that this is being held up by the Green Party: more likely is that the delays are from a reluctance to commit to the project’s high construction costs in what is still a pretty volatile environment in terms of construction costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There currently isn't anything delaying the project. Enabling works are ongoing and will be for a while yet, construction can't start until these are completed. Consultants are being procured who will prepare the construction contract tender package, a necessary step which can't be skipped. Hopefully there are no delays in issuing the construction tender and subsequent commencement of the works.

There have been delays in the past, most notably the appeals to the planning approval, but as things stand today, the necessary steps to allow for construction are all proceeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Dronehawk's latest (May 2023) M28 Update video

And a second video, also May 2023, showing the start of the route from a higher altitude. Published by Wojciech Frankowski

Three surprisingly interesting videos by Red River Archaeology Group who are conducting the the M28 archaeological investigations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Dan Boyle was posting on here claiming a rail line from Cobh to Ringaskiddy was the solution.

I thought it ill thought out at best. The lorries accessing the port are distributing containers literally everywhere around Munster. Rail in this case would be useful for moving containers to specific locations only. It’s just didn’t make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It certainly isn't a solution though I have to say looking at a map it is TANTALISINGLY close from the likes of Ringaskiddy to Rushbrooke. You can easily see the trains from the port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

a fixed rail bridge from Cobh to Ringaskiddy would stop ships docking at Marino Point. Not a hope in hell it would happen unless they tunelled it or some sort of swing brigde

A raising bridge of some sort would be technically feasible I guess and would probably happen in most places, but certainly not in this country.

Remember we haven't built ANY new build rail since the foundation of the state (reopening or widening lines and the LUAS not counted).

A bridge across the harbour would cost a fortune and would be a planning nightmare, add in the opening requirement and it becomes even more expensive and difficult. It is not a realistic option, particularly when Marino Point will be able to facilitate sea to rail transfers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Prior Information Notice for Main Works to be published imminently

Prequal of contractors to commence August 2023

Construction to commence Q4 2024.

Welcome news.

Hi Marno21, I don't want split hairs but I think it is worth posting the actual wording from the TII document.

Significant advance works ongoing, including major utility diversions. Cork County Council submitted a Derogation Report proposing the use of an NEC Target Cost Contract, this was approved on 5 April.

Tenders for Technical Advisor appointment, Phases 5, 6 & 7 were received on the 21st June.

The Main Works tender Prior Information Notice will be published in June 23. Prequalification of Contractors to commence in August 23. Construction is expected to commence in Q4 2024 subject to PSC Gate 3 and Cabinet approval.

While your post is a fair representation of this, given what is happening to other projects the last sentence (which I highlighted in bold) is significant in that it allows another opportunity for the project to be needlessly delayed by Ryan. I don't want to drag the thread off-topic so I'll post more on his conduct in your Logjam thread.

And given that the issuing of the tender documents is still some time away, I'd suggest that expecting construction to commence in Q4 2024 is highly aspirational and at the very least assumes no hitches, delays or cock-ups, never mind political meddling.

Sorry to be a negative voice on this again, but nothing in the firmament gives me any cause for optimism in relation to this or any other road infrastructure project at present.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is a fair comment, this thread is the only thread I didn’t copy the quote verbatim. I think after years of waiting when I finally saw a firm construction date I had to run to the thread with it.

Whilst your caution is completely founded, I will add that so far he hasn’t been able to put in place any road blocks when it comes to construction contracts in my experience. I think at that stage there are companies and parties involved and if he’s at shenanigans someone will raise it up the chain rather quickly.

Q4 2024 is also prime election time and there are 2 senior Cabinet Ministers in this area who may be sweating it this time around.

IMO this one is pretty safe. We shall proceed with hope but awareness of the potential delays.

This one is safe I think even with Ryan in charge. Its just so necessary for Cork and the Port, and isn't a bypass, per se, or a long distance stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Three government ministers in the same constituency as the M28 project.

Micheal Martin.

Michael McGrath.

Simon Coveney.

I know they aren’t involved with the project but surely they should be pushing for it to be built.

You would think that wouldn't you. But you'd be completly wrong.

Martin, aided and abetted by his "ears on the ground no threat local side-kick" Desmond was quite public in his support for the M28 Steering Group, who actively campaigned against the M28 and blocked it for three years and apart from the delay achieved absolutely nothing of substance. Apart from putting thousands of N28 road users at risk every day.

Both McGrath and Coveney were more subtle, shifting from one arse cheek to the other and riding both sides of the ditch with a "well the new road is necessary but of course we must listen to the democratic voice of the people" kind of "love you long time give me votes" stance.

For completeness, Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire pretty much kept his mouth shut, and certainly was never a vociferous supporter of the new road. And in contrast, Jerry Buttimer, never shut his mouth in opposition to the project.

I won't bother mentioning the local Green representatives, firstly because you can guess their stance and secondly because both of them are now utterly irrelevant.

So all in all, the level of support for the project from the main local politicians was somewhere between zero and minus five.

However, you can also be sure that their diaries already have provisional entries for the opening in 2031 or whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The wall in Broadale is done and the builders have returned the area to normal. Does anyone know why they left the two sides open, and what they plan on doing with them? Also, the face of the wall facing the link is still bare concrete

Interestingly, a lot of the ash trees that were felled on the eastern ridge are growing back like nothing happened

Ash trees are pretty much invincible, unless Ash Dieback comes a'knocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The wall nearest the slip road lining the golf course was knocked and has been rebuilt further back and at an angle, I assume to allow for Maryborough Hill to be widened for the future turning lane

Post edited by DylanQuestion on

best guess is completion in 2030 approx. This has been discussed in this thread previously if you wish to scroll back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

2030? Best guess is 2027 with a 2024 start and a 30-36 month build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Does the whole thing need to be opened at once? I know it's a short scheme but it seems to me that Carrs Hill itself is far more urgent than the bit by Raffeen and on towards Ringaskiddy.

Don’t give the Government any ideas. We’d be waiting til the 2040s for Phase 2 then

If you did N40-Shannonpark you’d have jams at Shannonpark before long

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

It was indeed, looking at that wall it is as you mentioned within the line of the current one.

It is blatantly obvious that the adjoining wall alongside the adjoining property will also need to realigned.

This I fear however will take a long time before that can proceed.

Post edited by kub on

This hasn’t gone to tender yet, and it’s quite conceivable that the tender won’t even be published this year. There is no chance of construction commencing in 2024. TII are on record that this is targeted for completion post 2030. There was a discussion on the likely completion date a few pages back if you’d like to review it.

TII will I suspect find it difficult enough to get viable contractors interested in quoting for this project. They are already having to make alterations to the way the tender and contract will be framed in the hope of attracting interest. Dividing it up into phases would make it even less attractive, especially given that its a small enough piece of work to begin with.

Post edited by Hibernicis on

Your last sentence isn't correct. A smaller contract would most likely attract a wider pool of potential contractors who wouldn't have the capability or meet minimum requirements for a larger contract. It would also reduce the risk and exposure to the contractor.

In any case, it is entirely possible, and even standard, to set out elements of a project which are to be completed first. With this entire scheme as a single contract, TII could set from Shannonpark north as the priority and to be handed over first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I never actually said it would go to construction in 2024. I was pointimg out that this was the best case scenario as you claimed a 2030 opening was the best case scenario.

When we're talking about hypothetical opening dates, the best case scenario is 2027.

TII's last update was commencement of main works contract in Q4 2024 but that was subject to main tender PIN publication in June and prequal of contractors to commence in August.

To my knowledge, neither of these events have taken place yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

What’s the plan for the Shannon Park junction. Assume a trumpet would make sense but no doubt they won’t go for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement