Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Car can't be driven.

Options
  • 26-08-2023 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Went for NCT major fails. Should I repair or scrap?

It's a 2006 Yaris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭User1998

It would only be worth saving if you know a really cheap mechanic. It probably needs a good bit of welding and a new catalytic converter at the very least.

If you do end up wanting to scrap it, please PM me and I will most likely buy it for more than what a scrapyard will give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Just had a whole new exhaust fitted and 4 brand new tyres and a valet . How none of the damage was noticed is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The general consensus with old cars would be to throw the car in for the NCT first, let them tell you what work needs to be done.

Did the ‘whole new exhaust’ include a catalytic converter? If so it will be very hard to make it pass an NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

You'd check tyres wouldn't you

What happens if you fail dangerous on tyres

You'd have to tow it I assume

• Advertisement

OP failed dangerously on rust so should have towed it away from the centre. Obviously nobody does this tho.

Ah Ok I thought they slapped some huge sticker on the windscreen and notified the gards

Not insured though I assume , car unroadworthy and failed dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It was no worse leaving than it was getting there. And often driven dangerously for last few thousand Kms since it was due its last service.

Ideally they would impound dangerous cars but that's beyond them.

How could they impound anything

Customer would have a legal right to tow-truck it away at a minimum as he owns it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

driven my car with the bold boy sticker on the window, was trying slicks out for a while, wouldnt recommend them, straight to the tyre garage, job done....

• Advertisement

They do slap a big sticker on the front window - usually in the eyeline of the driver. They don't notify the gardai because no offence has taken place - it's not an offence to fail an NCT. It's an offence to drive said car on the road but that's the purpose of the big sticker, to make you easily identifiable.

And definitely not insured lol. If the Gardai catch you or you have an accident, you're fucked.

You just take the sticker off the window and drive off, its not up to the NCT to enforce the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My instinct is scrap, but first try to get a few repair quotes

If the repair costs €3k for example, and you can find a decent enough car for less than that, then getting a newer car is probably the better option

Try to get something that's a recent NCT pass, otherwise you'll be back to square one in a few months

You can ring around a few car scrappage places to see what they'll give you, but I reckon you'll probably be offered €250-300 for the car in its current state

You could sell the car privately, there's several garages offering scrappage deals against new cars at the moment. Customers will sometimes but a car for a few hundred then get the scrappage deal worth thousands off a new car

So there is a market there and you could get a bit more than the scrapyard is offering. As long as you're upfront about the state of the car then you're grand

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Sorry that this happened to you. It’s not ideal, but a near 20 year old Yaris really isn’t worth putting any money into. Used car prices have dropped in the last few months so you should be able to get something else. It’s a pity you’re out of pocket for the tyres and exhaust, it’s a tough situation but you’ll just have to write that money off.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭selectamatic

NCT lads would be under the car poking and prodding away to bate the band with a screwdriver or something similar so they often uncover a hole/weak point that would go unnoticed by someone who'd be fitting a section of exhaust etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

as far as I’m aware the NCT testers don’t touch anything under a car, I don’t think they’re allowed use screwdrivers or any other tool, everything is visual.

This explains the ‘corroded brake lines’ racket when a bit of dirt is described as ‘advanced corrosion’ . I failed on this and a mechanic told me he had to replace a good as new brake line because of this scam, happens all the time he told me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Not true. I witnessed the tester attacking my sills with a large screwdriver like he was Norman Bates. He left a sizeable hole in it.

Thanks for that response appreciated. I am lost now as I am disabled and currently in remission from breast cancer so I will be stuck in house for a while. I think scrap is the only option for me now. I only had car serviced 6 MTHS ago and new brake pads discs and drums fitted also. So I won't spend anymore on a car I won't feel safe in even if it is repaired.

Thanks for that response appreciated. I am lost now as I am disabled and currently in remission from breast cancer so I will be stuck in house for a while. I think scrap is the only option for me now. I only had car serviced 6 MTHS ago and new brake pads discs and drums fitted also. So I won't spend anymore on a car I won't feel safe in even if it is repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, that's probably beyond econimic repair unless you're DIYing it. I'd throw it up on Donedeal/Adverts for a few 100 listing all the recent work and let it off, chances are you'd get more doing that than scrap value.

Cut your losses and put any money you'd spend on repairs towards another car.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Who did the service? The tyre and exhaust place would not be looking for issues so have no responsibility for the fail dangerous. But the garage that serviced your car should have spotted the issues and at least highlighted them, extensive corrosion doesn't happen in 6 months. I'd be looking at going legal on the garage that "serviced" your car as you've been driving a dangerous and most likely uninsured car for 6 months, at least get the cost of the "service" back from the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Squatman

it all depends on the level of rust to be honest. one hole in anything is enough to fail, and is regarded as Extensive corrosion. depending on extent and accessabiluty, it could be a very quick and cheap repair at a local independent. Not so sure on the 02, could be a MAF sensor or similar, especially if you have had a full exhaust system incl. catalytic converter

Generally speaking with these Yaris they get to 06/07/08 they usually fail on rust and emissions. Its never just a sensor its always the catalytic converter and exhaust leaks.

The problem is a cheap Chinese catalytic converter usually isn’t enough to pass an NCT and will usually give you an engine warning light too. And a genuine Toyota catalytic converter is just way too expensive.

Thanks for replying. I thought the garage should have spotted the problems too.

NCT guy showed me pictures from his phone, 4 different photos. I was horrified tbh it's extensive,only have the car a year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Did you buy private or from a dealer? If from a dealer bring it back and demand your money back as they sold you a dangerously defective vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

i got the same a couple of years back, as my tyres were as bald as a babies' .....

The NCT people are covering themselves in case there is an accident, and you or somebody else comes after them, saying you allowed me to drive a dangerously defective vehicle and now look what's happened! Ireland is a very litigious place.

I drove my car home, and then got the tyres changed. Brought it back for retest and all was good.

Mind you I am NOT advising you to do that, as to knowingly drive a dangerously defective vehicle is potentially deadly & WRONG! If you do so, then let it be at your own risk.

Not true at all. Car had a valid NCT at the time of sale and was deemed roadworthy.

OP can’t prove the car was defective at the time of sale.

Wouldn't dare drive it, it has been towed to a garage will know the outcome tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Google "nct welding repairs" get a price for the Job but ask them to check what else might need welding for the next test. That will guide you.

The emissions could be a bigger problem, you got the exhaust replaced, is there a catalytic filer or was it chopped out. They aren't cheap.

My rule of thumb is that it's worth it if you keep the car 6 months and the cost of the work is less than the cost of 6 months repayments if you bought another car.

From the sound of it you should be shopping for a new car.

Advertisement