Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK folks this thread has gone way OT in the last while.

Stick to the thread topic or it will be closed.

As someone that used Myrtle Square daily till it was closed I'm hoping there is enough seating in new design to accommodate the lunch time workers. On mild days there is constant stream of people getting Tesco meal deals and sitting out. With lunch now being so expensive in the cafes, it was a great alternative to sitting at a desk.

I'm also hoping the new hanging garden structure doesn't block out all the sun on the Argos side. It was the one place in Dun Laoghaire town centre that actually kept the sun for most of the day and evening. It would have made a great outdoor cafe or pub area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

To my knowledge, Dunphys will have slightly larger outdoor seating area when this is all finished.

On the wider issue of outdoor gathering space, the answer is yes, there will be a lot both on the Square and down Convent Lane, but don't forget the Council plan to close Georges Street altogether adjacent that location and put trees, plants and seating on what is now roadway.

Now, they don't have permission for that yet and its still very contentious locally, but it would be just like DLR to peg back the seating on the locations they are already working on to try and get the Georges Street plan over the line.

Unfortunately, the Dunphys side is very much in the shade - the rest of the square however is a sun trap. Plus Dunphys usually only open around 4pm and don't serve food, this may change of course with a new square open to them.

Not going to happen but would be good if Starbucks could do a swap with Dealz in Bloomfields. The decal windows used for the Dealz shops are awful and add nothing to town centres.

Interesting to know about seating hopefully going on the roadway on Georges Street. However, sounds like this will still leave me and many other displaced workers without sit down facilities for some time to come . The waterfront is not always an option as the wind can be quite cutting plus the tables in the square were much more useful than trying to balance your lunch on your lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Dub.

Anyone hear about trouble in Ballybrack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Today. A load of lads who all happened to have the day off were protesting and smashing windows at ridge hall. Apparently they don’t want to share welfare with refugees who are due to move in

for some reason they had tricolours with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Yeah, just took a walk up there. Lots of guards and people standing round, saw the windows smashed in the old insomnia which I fail to understand the reasoning behind breaking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

How Garda cars/vans were there in Ballybrack today?

Was the number of protestors larger than the recent ones in Dún Laoghaire?

Bottom feeding yellow pack fascist incels, meet everyone.

• Advertisement

I`m hearing the people leading these attacks are local drug dealers.

Funny that, drug dealers usually like to keep a low profile and tend not to mind when more potential customers arrive on their patch.

I know nothing about that suggestion, one way or the other, but I did notice that many of those live streaming the protest activity, weren't local, but were the usual gobshites who purport to speak for all these communities and rent a crowd to stage these incidents when they arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just saw the RTÉ News report about the incident in Ballybrack last night. I hope the councillors father who was was mentioned in report recovers from that frightening ordeal. It is very scary to hear that an innocent elderly man was impacted by these scumbags in Ballybrack last night while he was just sitting there watching television in peace in his home.

I`ve seen the photos and it is indeed mainly local pushers and users. Ironically, wrapping themselves with tricolors like they are patriots, when most of them are parasites on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xaforb

A few of us did a nostalgia walk around the town and now looking for a small bit of info.

A good many years ago we did the Shackleton Exhibition in the old ferry terminal but it now looks deserted. Seems a shocking waste of a valuable space. Anything in the pipeline there?

Hadn't been down around the Lower Georges St. area in a long, long time. The old library building looks sad. Are there any plans to do something with it?

Also, just across the road from it there is a newish looking building occupied by the Bespoke Sofa Co. with apartments on the upper floors. Anyone remember what was there before? One of our group thought she recalled there was a hotel somewhere along there.

All or any info welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Ferry Terminal is to be turned into some sort of remote working hub the last I heard.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2022/06/13/dun-laoghaires-former-ferry-terminal-to-be-leased-as-co-worker-space/

Old library is going to be used by IADT on Kill Ave for some classes / workshops

https://iadt.ie/news/iadt-announce-agreement-with-dlr-to-expand-campus-to-carnegie-library-dun-laoghaire/

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭cobham

WAs the Bespoke place formerly Iceland outlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Yes, as I recall Iceland was recessed from the street. I don't recall there being a hotel there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xaforb

Many thanks for replies. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I think the Quarterdeck remote working proposal for the ferry terminal is dead

Personally, I'd love to see it as a school. The town really misses secondary schools. And it would be a great campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

Showing my age here, but I seem to recall McCulloughs (I think) in that location back in the 70s/early 80s. It was from what I can remember a home furnishings type of shop.

Also a small electrical goods store just up the road where the Asian store is now on the corner of Wellington Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Close, it was McGovern. Good memory thought. It was later a Knowles Electrics store.

As for Iceland there was a petrol station there before it opened in 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

Ahh Knowles Electrics - that's it. McGoverns would have been before my time.

I fairly sure the home furnishings store was on the Iceland/Petrol station site.

Was there a McCulloughs in D/L? A large furniture store (sofas/beds etc) at the other end of Georges Street, where Dunnes is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I was born in the 80's so I've no idea but I always remembered the petrol station beside Smyths Pub that was replaced by Iceland and now apartments of course.

Anyway here's an interesting article about Lower George's Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Thats McGoverns grocery at the other end of the town, across from the Peoples Park. McCulloughs was where Iceland opened and Knowles was on the corner of Mary Street.

That was still there as recently as 2009

The building on the opposite corner of Wellington Street has been empty since that time, any ideas as to what it was when occupied?

It was a Revenue Commissioners vehicle reg office up to about 2004.

Iceland didn't in fact replace the Texaco petrol station beside Smyth's Pub, rather it went onto the site which had previously been Dockrells Hardware. That happened around 1990 if memory serves.

Also, that same Texaco station had a long established car dealers, Donnelly and Fitzgerald Toyota, attached to it.

it was QTH Computers when I was a lad. Home computers like Spectrums, Commodore 64s, that kind of stuff. Possibly boring word processors as well, but who cared about all that in the 80s. My memory is likely wrong but I remember the hardware shop a bit further down the road being a Murdochs. There was also a hardware shop in Glasthule where Cavistons new restaurant is. I've an old Thom's Directory lying around here somewhere, if I find it I'll post a listing.

McCullagh's was like a mini department store where Penneys is now, I think. Lee's Department store was in situ where Dunnes is now.

apologies for the format/quality. These are from Thoms 1971

• Advertisement

Advertisement