Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two die in the Ironman at Youghal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Madness. Madness on the part of the organisers letting it go ahead and madness on the part of participants jumping into that sea in that state like lemmings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

I’m a very experienced open water swimmer and triathlete. I’ve done numerous long distance races and marathon swims. I’ve also acted as race safety officer at medium sized(500+) participants.  I wasn’t in Cork but in looking at the photos and videos and reading the reports the swim conditions looked very borderline for a triathlon. To me they looked worse than 2019 when the swim was cancelled (I did do that race). 

I swim Leinster Open Sea races and those conditions would probably have been ok for that type of race (as long as the safety boats could safely operate) where in the main you have experienced open water swimmers not depending on wetsuits for buoyancy / support and who haven’t been training for months across three disciplines or paid €700 to enter and so aren’t under pressure to race on the day. 

A lot of people who enter IM races are poor inexperienced swimmers and can’t deal with the sorts of conditions encountered over the weekend. Whilst that’s not the way it should be that’s the reality and Ironman know this. They sell a bullshit narrative to novices about the Ironman journey and anything is possible and so people believe it. Poor swimmers need to be protected from themselves by competent water safety officials (not saying the two who died were poor swimmers, I’m making a general observation). 

There were other issues from looking at he footage 

- that swim entry was not a safe starting point for that many swimmers IMO

-the course buoys were red and so were many of the swimmers hats, which when combined with high waves makes sighting extremely difficult

-safety boats were struggling in the conditions, which for a race should mean cancellation 

Ironman don’t need TI’s approval to run a race, but it gets them access to the Irish triathlon clubs and volunteers to marshal the race; TI then get a load of money in return in the form of one day race licences. Sure the President of TI used to run his long distance races without TI sanction.

What happened was desperately sad, and if these deaths were due to drowning then Ironman and TI have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

If I thought the sea was too dangerous to swim in, NEWSFLASH, I wouldn’t go into it. These people weren’t marched in at gunpoint. They all assessed the danger and ran into the water of their own free will.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

even i, a person with no experience in this field, could see, those sea conditions were just too dangerous, i think there should be legal cases taken here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And responsibility still goes back on the organisers if the conditions were unsafe and they chose to continue the event. This tends to be one of the reasons why the likes of running clubs and such prefer locally organised events. They actually care about getting permission to host again the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you are not familiar with the sea or sea swimming you would not be a good judge of what sea conditions are safe vs unsafe to swim in.

1000 experienced sea swimmers would have been absolutely fine in that. 100 pool swimmers would absolutely not have been.

IM cant really be held responsible for participants not being good enough swimmers, however they absolutely to have responsibility to ensure safety cover is able to function. In that kind of swell and onshore waves & wind!!, kayak cover is incredibly difficult to do. This is the key part where IM could be found liable - how the sea conditions impacted safety cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Where are people getting these numbers?

There wasn't even 2000 competing. They were let into the water over 90 mins, and most would have been out in under 30 mins.

What does "sanctioned" mean in this context? TI isn't a safety body, they don't need to give their blessing to IM at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ahh so your one of those people who likes to blame the victims....

• Advertisement

But as a person with no experience, why does your opinion matter?

An elite athlete could look at that and say "great, fantastic challenge!"

...and never underestimate the power of adrenaline, we have a tendency of overlooking even serious risks when it gets going, this is where in such situations, organisations are needed to deem the situation is actually safe, theres clearly something wrong with the functioning of the organisation that ran this, they need to be held accountable....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Augme

No where in the TI'S statement did they refer to a 'water safety assessment'. That just seems to be Irish Times interpretation.

...well cause im a member of boards, as all the rest of us are, and im entitled to my opinion, again, as all other members are....

...again, adrenaline, never ever underestimate its dangerous, ive nearly leaned this the hard way myself, i was in an potentially dangerous situation myself last year, could have easily died, thankfully there were experienced personal around me, and alerted me to the dangers occurring, they probably saved my life....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Of course you wouldn't have got in if you just went down for a dip on Sunday morning last. One look and sensible people would say, not today and look for somewhere more sheltered etc.

You are completely underestimating though the element of peer pressure. The organisers have said it's safe, everyone is lining up, looking apprehensive but you've paid your entry fee and there's boats out on the water etc - so people just go with the crowd. You'd have to be made of strong stuff to go against the grain in situations like that and be more experienced that the people most likely to struggle would be.

All the articles are referencing 2000 participants. I understand the staggered entry times but from watching the videos of them entering, the state of the sea and my experience driving safety boats for water events I cant see how anyone thought this was safe to go ahead, its incredibly easy to lose sight of people in rough water even if its not very deep. Ive never participated in one of these events specifically but ive had to watch people in rough water and keep track of them and if you have 100 people in a crowded group in rough seas you are not going to notice if you suddenly only have 99 visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It must have been a nightmare for anyone tasked to be out on the water and looking out for swimmers who were struggling on that initial section. Things spiral out of control very quickly. The one saving grace seems to be the number of people in the water who could assist other competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Come on. Headlines very rarely clear up anything. They quite often contradict what's actually in the article.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that the case with the article in question?

Sounds more sensational to bump the numbers and exaggerate the danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Genghis

I've am trying to establish who insured the event.

Yes, participant insurance is normally provided by TI for TI events, and is part of membership / One day licence, but I wonder if participants in this event are insured by Ironman under a global policy. Given the scale of Ironmans operations, I can't imagine they operate market by market, NGB by NGB for something like insurance. But I could be wrong. Maybe there are two policies in effect.

I can't see any terms and conditions, etc for registrants (as entries are obviously closed for 2023 and not yet open for 2024), I presume all entrants had to provide licence information to race (or buy One Day Licences as part of registering?).

Would be interested to know if anyone has registration emails, etc.

Such a sad set of circumstances all round.

Blame them for what? We don’t even know the causes of death yet. For one it was an alleged heart attack when he exited the water.

Seems you’ve decided your judge, jury and executioner on the event and anyone else opinions don’t count. Not a great attitude to have on a “discussion” board.

Most people grow out of “peer pressure” by the time they’re 20. It wasn’t a teenage event.

Most people grow out of “peer pressure” by the time they’re 20. It wasn’t a teenage event.

Again all the articles are referencing that number and their own website quoted 1500 additional participants for the 2022 event

You say it was everyones choice to enter the water? Simple logic means you must also then think anyone injured or hurt as a result has nobody but themselves to blame surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I don't think any impartial spectator would look at the video and think it wasn't insanity to enter the ocean in those conditions.

They remind me of Christmas day a few years ago at kiliney for a swim. Nobody got in apart from a bit of wave crashing at the shore.

I'm a regular sea swimmer, nowhere near iron man level but I couldn't imagine entertaining the idea of entering in those conditions.

RIP to those who died. At the very least I hope the people who made the decision to go ahead with the event are removed of having that authority for any future events.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Worth reposting for its content as as a robust counterpoint to the keyboard experts.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

Insurance would be the question I'd have regarding TIs lack of sanctioning. I'm not a triatlete, but do a fair handful of cycling events. All competitors have to have insurance to enter and this is either through an annual CI license, or being gouged for a one day license. A quick Google didn't show up anything specific about Ironman insurance. From the fact they were sanctioning it, would imply they were involved officially in some capacity, even if only as boots on the ground for Ironman. Did the lack of sanction leave the competitors without insurance cover? If so, was it only for the swim, or did it extend to the bike and run as well?

If, as somebody else earlier in thread suggested, the marshals and safety staff in the kayaks were TI members - volunteer or paid - were they not themselves put into danger by the conditions, and if TI withdrew their sanction should this not have been relayed to the water safety people?

Can't say anybody at the organisational level - Ironman, Ironman Ireland, or TI - is coming out of this smelling of roses. There seems to be a lot of he said/she said kicking off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Good point about the hats and the buoys being the same colour. Would have thought all contestants would be issued bright coloured hats that were a different colour from the buoys.

Were the safety boats struggling? I read that conditions weren't that bad past the break. If they were struggling then that is in issue. Do you know what sort of communication there was between the boats and also observers on shore? I assume they all had radios. Are there any guard towers down there?

Like I said earlier, I didn't think the conditions looked that bad. Based purely on the footage I've seen. I've competed in bigger and nastier stuff than that in the past. On reflection that's viewing it through surf race/sea swim eyes. As you and others have mentioned, triathletes generally aren't used to those sort of conditions.

Advertisement