Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Westernview

They seem to have a lot of saplings planted in certain places. Hard to tell sometimes when the grass is almost as high. They may have more to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cartoncowboy

Does anyone know, now that the DC is open, if the project has monies within for the rehabilitation of the "old" road? I'd imagine that the old road is pretty worn and could do with some surface dressing at least or active travel provision? The N4 Castlebaldwin/Collooney had an active travel portion, so just curious what the plan is, if there is one?

I haven't heard of any funding for surfacing the old road but the council have previously mentioned developing a Westport-Castlebar Greenway possibly alongside the old N5 once the new road opened.

The surface on the old road, which has now been downgraded to a regional route, seems ok to me so I'd imagine any investment will be mainly on a greenway. If it doesn't come from the DC budget it will come from the Dept of Transport. As far as I know the DC budget would only extend to repairing approach roads due to construction but I'm open to correction.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2020/01/30/n5-castlebar-westport-greenway-proposal/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There is now an active travel project which is completely separate from the N4 Castlebaldwin to Collooney road project. For the past few years, new DCs are to have active travel facilities designed as part of the project. The N4 was designed before that requirement, as was the N5 Turlough to Westport (ABP included it as a condition for the Westport bypass but that was a separate planning process to the rest of that scheme).

I'd assume that funding was given for an active travel alternative on the Castlebaldwin to Collooney route because the rules changed between its design and construction. There's a good chance that the same could happen for the N5, particularly so as it would fill the gap between two existing greenways.

Westport councillors are unhappy with the signage approaching the town from the new N5 (they seem to love a rant). Granted the omission of Louisburgh and Leenane seems a bit strange alright but Westport and Westport North is clearly signposted on the approach so not sure why people are continuing to the Newport road side if they want to get into town. More of a case of people not understanding the layout of the town IMO. Would imagine it will resolve itself as people get more familiar with the new roads.

https://www.mayonews.ie/news/home/1256359/claims-signage-on-new-n5-causing-traffic-chaos-on-newport-road-in-westport.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Local news...

As Dylan moron says...

Do you know why it's local? Cos its sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

I think locals will catch on quickly but for tourists the signage is not that helpful. It should be clear that the most direct way to the town centre is by turning left at the roundabout. At the moment that's not obvious at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Seems weird to have Islandeady on that sign. If you were going to Islandeady from that direction, surely you'd have come off the dual carriageway at the roundabout outside Castlebar? But no mention that that's the best way to the coast road or the N59 going south?

Some of those Councillors talk a serious amount of rubbish, but I'll give them that one, there are a number of issues with that sign.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yeah, technically when you get to the R309 roundabout the next places on the R309 are Islandeady and Westport, but that doesn't account for the R309 being a parallel route to the old N5.

It should be really signed Westport and then Louisburgh/Leenane (N59).

• Advertisement

Islandeady seems strange alright - almost as if it's there to direct people who may have missed the sign at the Pheasant hill roundabout. Hard to argue that it should have precedence over directing traffic to Leeane, Louisburgh though. Think we all agree they should be included.

Strictly speaking Westport itself is probably correctly labeled. The addition of "Westport North" might be confusing people as to which way to go but in theory it should be a help in splitting traffic to different parts of the town and reducing the previous issues with tailbacks at Knockranny. Castlebar could do with similar signage - for example if you are driving from Westport you are directed into town on the R309 at the first roundabout regardless of what part of Castlebar you are bound for. Signs saying Castlebar West, South etc might be better, especially for busy times of the day.

Changing the Westport label to 'Westport Town centre' and adding the N59 desinations might be the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭pjordan

Irish road signposting has long been a bug bear of mine and it is signage like this that bear it out, which displays a complete lack of foresight or, more significantly, local consultation/insight.

As it happens I came into Westport on Monday from the Newport side and the tails backs right out to the hill at the tennis courts leads me to believe that a lot of the tourist traffic that would usually have backed up on the Sheeaune is now being diverted onto the Newport road, in a large part due to this misleading or confusing signage. It would seem logical (but logic rarely seem to come into TII's reakonings) that the roundabout on Sheeaune would feature Westport town centre and the N59 onward to Leenaune (and the R335 to Louisburgh) as their primary emphasis. Very much smacks of someone at a desk just following procedure and guidelines with very little, or no reference to local, on the ground, knowledge or insight.

It reminds me of a few of signposting clangers I encountered in the past including:

The N5 signage in the middle of Longford pointing both ways but no East or West clarifications.

The confusing signage around Cork city from years ago where when it was pointed out that it was confusing the official response was "it'll be ok when drivers get used to it" which kinda defies the purpose of signposts, especially for tourists that need to be clear first time. Bit like Westernview's point above, surely signposting is meant primarily for those not familar with a location to assist them on a once off or infrequent basis, not for those that know layouts and have therefore litte if any need of signposting?

And the cryptic colour coded junction signage introduced at great expense in Dublin about 20 years ago under the Seamus Brennan Transport ministership which gradually slipped away back into obscurity and eventually removed to avoid further embarrassment.

Theres just 2 primary roads in the area - the N5 and N59 - and they omit signage for the N59 south but signpost a Regional road. Seems illogical but is this because of some rule that you can't mention the N59 south because you have to go through regional roads to get to it (if taking a left at the first roundabout)? Someone mentioned something like this before in relation to Ballina not being signposted on the new N5 because its separated from the N5 by the N26. If this is the case the rules aren't always very practical and may need to be looked at.

Piece in this weeks Connaught Telegraph about the upcoming closure. No reason given as to why there is a closure, just "maintenance works".

That sign looks correct to me. Going straight on keeps you on the N5 which brings you to the N59, going left brings you onto the R309. Having "town centre" under Westport on the left turn would have been helpful.

You could possibly argue that the N59 south of Westport should be accessed by going through the town along the old N5 route but it would be odd to signpost a N road via an R road when that same N road can be accessed via a brand new R road. In this case, it doesn't really make much difference as you go through the town either way.

It probably would have been better for the N5 to end at the roundabout and for the Westport bypass to be N59 (this would have to happen if the Westport southern bypass ever gets built). As it is, the sign is directing all N59 traffic onto th bypass and presumably is then directed north/south when you reach the N59.

I presume the issue is that locals are so used to going south via the old route that they can't understand the other routing but from an irregular visitor pov, going N road to N road does make sense over going N road > R road > N road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Which way is Google maps sending everyone.

"Town centre" would ease the problem alright I think. Westport will always be a bit of a bottleneck until the southern ring is eventually developed but the Newport road seems less able to cope with extra traffic than the R309 approach by Knockranny. At least the traffic can split at the castlecourt, and after the lights you can go straight across the bridge unimpeded on to Bridge street, instead of getting stuck along the Mall when coming in the Newport road side.

If the southern ring road was built I would think that might become the new N59 and the road through the town would revert to regional route. That would mean renaming the part at the end of the N5 to N59 as you mentioned.

Its sending traffic from the N5 to the N59 south via the R309. So that's probably a good thing. A lot of tourists would be using google maps I would think so it maybe it is more a local issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

This came up on the thread about how "CORK" was signed on the N40 Dunkettle scheme too, and I think it shows a flaw in our signage system: there's no easy way to indicate the way to the centre of a place that works for tourists as well as natives.

The current practice is to use "An Lár [NAME]" for cities, and "[Ainm] TOWN CENTRE" for towns. There's problems with both: first, for cities, you don't know it's the centre unless you know Irish; in the other, you know it's the town centre, but not which town unless the town's Anglicised name is similar enough to its Irish one - for a tourist, the way we do town-centre directions results in the place-name disappearing from the signs just as a visitor is looking out for it.

Italy solves the same problem by using a "bullseye" symbol for the route that brings you to the centre of a place. In this pic,"Rome" is on both signs (as "ROMA est" and "ROMA nord"), but the bullseye symbol next to the name on the right-hand sign tells you that "ROMA nord" is destination that will bring you to the city centre (although as a tourist, you really shouldn't try to drive in Rome!):

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭plodder

Another aspect of that which we don't use here (properly or much) is using a different background colour when grouping related information, particularly when using symbols like the bulls-eye and Roma in that one, or the airport symbol. The view below shows the approach to the M17/M18 with a sign for Shannon airport. At least the name of the airport is shown, but it is conceivable that a visitor heading to Ireland West Airport could see the airport symbol and not associate it with Shannon on that sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think the French do it well on signposts like this.

They have two separate signposts, spaced a couple of hundred metres apart. The first one gives regional directions, so in this case, 'Newport, Leenaune, Louisburgh', the second one further on gives local directions, such as town centre, train station, or a suburb, local village (Islandeady). Especially important in areas with heavy tourist traffic.

I agree with KrisW1001 above that the 'bullseye' symbol is excellent. Signs should be understandable no matter what language you speak.

Also the signs around Westport need signage for Croagh Patrick and Achill, two of the biggest tourist destinations in the area.

EDIT: This is an example of French signage, first sign for major routes, second for local.

I can't seem to post a link, so here's a screenshot.

Post edited by KevRossi on

• Advertisement

Drove this yesterday in heavy rain. The drainage doesn't appear to be great, lots of standing water and spray compared to say the M4 or M6 in similar weather.

I drove it over the weekend and had a similar experience. Even where the cross-gradients seem adequate the water appears to be clinging to the surface in some way. Strange.

The offending Westport North destination on the roundabout sign has been painted over. Perhaps a temporary measure until updated signage is installed?

Didn't hear that. Well id hope that it's temporary because otherwise its just transferring the whole problem back to knockranny again. Having Westport north is a good thing to separate the traffic provided the TOWN CENTRE route through knockranny is signposted also. Otherwise it's back to the old chaos just to placate local councillors.

I'm sure somebody feels they fought the system and won, that's all that matters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭serfboard

Drove this road both directions at the weekend for the first time, and what a fantastic road it is. It was dry when I was on it so I didn't get to see how it behaves (or not) in the rain.

The road feels like you could go a lot faster than the 100km/h limit, but, given Garda activity on the road yesterday, it wouldn't be advisable. However, with the part from the Western Castlebar roundabout to the Eastern Westport roundabout being only 10km, the drive is almost over before you know it.

What was more impressive for me is the ring road north of Westport. They made a super job of it.

It's a fine piece of infrastructure surely and a pleasure to drive. Very easy to go over 100km/hr without realising it such is the smoothness of the surface.

The ring road is well done alright but could do with a barrier separating pedestrians/cyclists from the road as it also has a 100km/hr limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The benchmark for insanely smooth roads is the M6 from Galway to Ballinasloe. How does the new N5 compare to that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I drove that road many times and never noticed the smoothness. Next time I'm on it I will have to take a better look.

Advertisement