Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licences Firearm to Convicted Criminal

• 13-08-2023 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Chaps I’m just wondering, I see a lot of people complaining about licensing taking forever on here, all the hassle and red tape people are being put through. Today I was talking to someone randomly. Topic of licensing comes up and he tells me of someone with a conviction for threatening to kill and still has firearms licences. Is that possible? I would have thought all be removed after something like that or no chance of licence being issued after. Would that be possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

This highlights how stupid the Irish Laws are. You can be convicted of an offence using a firearm (as long as you do not receive a sentence) or threatening to kill someone or even using a firearm in an offence (as long as it was more than 5 years ago) AND STILL BE GRANTED A LICENCE, but woe bethide if you have an arrest for being drunk in public as a student---intemperate habits

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭madmac187

The one in question was a threatening to kill. And sentenced 6 months plus. I dunno, decent people take things too easily in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭madmac187

And has another sentence for violence as well.

Think I saw in a previous thread that if you are caught with AK47 20rd magazine that the maximum sentence is longer than if you were caught with the actual AK47. Such is the sense of our laws and law makers

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭judestynes

I was chatting to this one guy a few weeks ago, apparently space aliens built the pyramids. Moral of the story is don't believe everything you hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Is the punishment for possession of a cf rifle magazine over 10 rounds not just your license revoked? As opposed to 7 years for illegal possession of a firearm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,685 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’d be interested in seeing the law that said that and not just a random claim in a thread. People aren’t always serious or knowageable in these claims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭TheEngineer1

A magazine is literally just a box and spring. I don't see how that could fly in court unless it was a high capacity mag for a licensed firearm. If that were the case, museums and people would still need licenses for deactivated firearms and prop guns instead of the lesser authorisation as they often have mags with 10+ round mags?

Too late now, but check the SI, if I remember correctly, even a museum has only a 5 year time limit on historical items

Advertisement