Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Inverters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Alkers

Many thanks, any recommendations for such an inverter? I have limited roof space to fit any more panels so happy for the two systems to be seperate.

Would any sparks be happy to wire in this kind of setup?

It's on a Facebook group which I assume many here are members of. Hands off! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SE Galway

Hello folks.

I've been reading this post with great interest, as I am in a similar situation where I would like to add a second inverter to expand our Solar PV system.

Our existing solar PV system is south facing producing 5.5 kilowatts in good sunshine and is run using a Solax hybrid inverter which is connected to a 6.3 kilowatt hour battery. This PV system feeds into a sub-fuse board located in the utility room. The sub-board is connected to the main fuse board with a 16 square wire. The hob, oven, dish washer, kitchen and living room lights and sockets are wired from the sub-board - just providing this information incase it's relevant to my questions below.

I plan to add a second inverter which will either be a Solax inverter or a basic string inverter with two string inputs, the size of this inverter will be approximately 3.5 to 5 kilowatts and the solar panels supplying the second inverter will be West and East facing. The sum of the two systems working together could produce 9 - 10kw on a good day.

I don't know anything about installing solar systems so I have a number of questions I'd like information on just so I'm aware and have an understanding while speaking with the installer.

Questions:

(1) I've been doing some reading online and any of the things I've seen in relation to the installation of a second inverter they talk about wiring the inverters together in parallel or in series. Is it necessary to install or wire the two inverters together in parallel or series or can they be wired independently to the same fuseboard or as it is in my case the sub-fuseboard?

(2) The existing inverter has a CT clamp on the mains wire coming in so it can determine if we're exporting or importing, is it necessary that the second inverter would also have a CT clamp on the mains for the same reason to see if we're exporting your importing?

(3) Should the inverters be connected together in some way so they can communicate with each other (this may not be possible I imagine if the inverters are different e.g. Solax for the existing system and Hypontech for the second inverter)?

(4) When both inverters are generating power will they both send power to the house to satisfy the load while the excess goes to the battery and rest (if any left over) exported to the ESB network or could they inhibit each other in anyway?

Apologies for the long post and questions but any advice you can offer or answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your reply.

Kind

regards,

SE Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭championc

So long as the second inverter is a standard string non-hybrid, it will seamlessly fit in. It will feed the battery first seamlessly, then export.

But exporting is now capped at 5kW

As for DIY, super easy. Panels are daisy chained, with the cable from each end plugged into inputs in the inverter. All connectors are MC4's. They all just click together.

The AC side needs to be connected to it's own breaker on the board (or subboard). No CT's needed

Hello Champion,

Thanks for your replies and information.

In relation to the 5kw export, so once my battery is full and the house load is met the most that my system is permitted to export to the grid at a given time is 5kw, is this correct?

Is it the case that the largest inverter I can install is a 5kw inverter?

Thanks again

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭con747

So yes, officially, the sum of all inverters should not exceed 25A

Hello folks,

Many thanks for all your input it's much appreciated. I've learned a lot through this and earlier posts on this thread.

Thanks for sending link to regulations.

Kind regards,

SE Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

To answer your Qs:

(1) The new grid-tie inverter should be wired independently back to it's own MCB (or correctly sized RCBO if required).

(2) The existing mains CT clamp from the current Hybrid inverter will see all import/export so no need for another one.

(3) The grid-tie will work independently of the hybrid so no need to data connect them.

(4) They will work as you've described, complementing each other, especially in the '3 string' South + East&West configuration you've described which is pretty much the sweet spot.

Under the free Mirco-Generation scheme it's now 25A as mentioned already.

If you pay ESBN a €977.85 fee under the Mini-Generation scheme, they can 'upgrade' your connection with the click of a computer mouse to take up to 72A on single phase or your Max Import Capacity (MIC), whichever is lower.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

But 6kW for pre tightening of rules, OP may have a 6kW NC6 filing?????

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Careful on that interpretation of the NC7, that is just an application fee, capital works may be required at your expense and the €977.85 is non-refundable. Check out capacity from your local transformer, in my case it is maxed on supply so I would not receive higher connection, it's quite mirky waters and we are all waiting here to see how it actually pans out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've a non hybrid inverter. Am I correct in my reading that I can only get another non hybrid for more panels in a separate string?

I assume I could then get a storage inverter to connect to either one and batteries to the storage inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

If anything, ideally you'd get a hybrid which would monitor overall export and throttle back if / when necessary and connect the batteries to that.

What's your MIC? It'll say on your connection documents in kVA. As you say, I'd definitely do the research first before paying anything. You can check if it's possible to upgrade your MIC by getting a quote with this process.

You could put in a separate 'new' hybrid with your exisitng grid-tie and they would work independantly of each other. If you're upgrading a grid-tie system to hybrid, most people in that situation would just replace the grid-tie inverter with a hybrid inverter that can do everything you want in one go.

Just another thing on the 25A limit, it should be possible to program your existing hybrid to only allow a max export of that. So, if you size your new grid-tie inverter at 25A or under, you won't go over 25A total as the hybrid will throttle back if it's done charging the battery and house demand is being met.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mr Q

@Buffman the 25A limit doesn't allow for software limits. So if you have an inverter or more with a combined total of over 25A they wont allow it on the NC6.

Only the expensive NC7 allows export limiting

Just to clarify a point slightly - a storage inverter doesn't link to anything. It simply monitors power being exported, and grabs it.

So it can be anywhere at all within your home setup. It can be out in a shed, garage or barn, nowhere near the PV inverter. It can even be connected to a sub-board, while PV is connected to the main board

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So having a hybrid and non hybrid inverter isn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Well.... As per ESB you shouldn't export more than 25A and that should be the max cumulative output of all inverters......

The hybrid will see any and all export and could limit some or all of its output (or pump it in to a battery) is my point.

• Advertisement

Hello folks,

Thanks for all this additional information, it's been a great read

Our MIC is 16kVA, excuse my ignorance but is this MIC capacity to our advantage regarding expanding our current PV solar system with a second inverter in an east West configuration?

With regards to throttling, this is something our installer suggested this evening.

What are our thoughts on our 16kVA MIC mentioned about and what this might mean for solar array expansion?

Thanks.

Regards,

SE Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You can. But it would help if they were identical and they support connection of one as master and one as slave. And the only reason for that setup is to have more battery charging / discharging power than one inverter can give you. Personally I would just look for a more powerful inverter and buy a single one!

Hello Slave1,

We do have a NC6 which we filed before the tightening of exported electricity.

I had a look at our MIC and it's 16kva, does this help our case if we want to expand our solar array limiting one of the inverters to 6KW?

If we're already at a MIC of 16kva do we still need to submit an NC7 when we expand our solar PV system?

Thanks.

Regards,

SE Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mr Q

The MIC is for import. The NC6 is what will determine your export limit currently.

You would need a NC7 to have more than 25A of inverters connected to the grid.

Hello Mr. Q,

My PV Installer submitted our NC6 back in 2021 for our expiring 5kw system, how would I find out what our MEC currently is based on that NC6? Or is it the case that I need to submit another NC6 to determine my current export capacity?

Thanks.

Regards,

SE Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭DC999

Email networkservicesbureau@esb.ie explaining and asking them for a copy of the NC6 that was filed on your behalf, so you can see what inverter size was submitted. The NC6 shows the inverter limit. They are very helpful people here have said.

I didn't know what MEC was, Max Export Capacity (kVA) = Total Installed Inverter Capacity. I checked my NC6.

No, as other's have said, the only way to tick all of ESBNs boxes for even 'potentially' going over 25A export is to pay €977.85 for an NC7, even if the system is set up to not allow it.

Your current available MEC is 6kVA (25A) because that's the max allowed under a NC6, and your existing 5kW install will take up most/all of that allowance.

You've a nice MIC of 16kVA, around 66A. So, if you did want to go down the NC7 box ticking route, with the €977.85 click of an ESBN computer mouse, your 'new' available MEC would equal your existing MIC of 16kVA. So that would roughly be around 15kW max inverter export.

I assume you're already receiving FIT based on the your existing NC6?

(MIC=Maximum Import Capacity, MEC=Maximum Export Capacity, to save anyone having to google)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

16kva is an 80 amp supply

For export esbn assume the highest end of the 230v allowance, and for import it's the lowest end (ie 200v)

• Advertisement

Hello Buffman,

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, we're in receipt of a deemed payment for our solar export based on our 5kw inverter. We haven't gone the smart meter route yet but will considerate it if we can expand our current system. We'd be looking to expand by an additional 3 to 5kw.

One last question on the NC7 form. Is it the case that the solar array is expanded first followed by sending in the NC7 form to the ESB or is the NC7 application made first to the ESB before the solar array is expanded and an additional inveter added?

Keep in mind that we made a NC6 submission in 2021.

Thanks.

Regards,

SE Galway

Advertisement