Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds 2x04- 'Among the Lotus Eaters' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Evade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭corkie

@AMKC Actually in some ways you could say it was an Ortegas centric episode.

More of Ortegas in season 2, kind of spoiler article for future episodes: -

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

How big was the original away team? 

Three Dead and Seven injured (as stated in The Cage / The Menagerie), so at least ten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I really enjoyed that episode: this show has definitely found a groove that while no longer surprises like Season 1 did, still entertained to a standard that has become comfortable. Which in of itself shows how strong the show has remained across these 1.5 seasons.

And this is a show that recognises the story types that work with Trek, and puts enough of a spin on them to keep them feeling vaguely fresh. In this case, a classic case of the entire crew coming down with space sickness, a few lone souls managing to find a solution; I like here how the day was saved by Pike and Ortegas working their own threads that as a whole, saved the day. We got a few little character moments and while yeah Ortegas is a bit of a non entity ATM, I feel like we're due her own Dedicated Episode anyway

So Yeah nothing memorable - which is apt given the plot! - but a demonstration that the show is coming together quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭corkie

The Starfleet service record of Lt. Spock (Ethan Peck) was seen in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 2, episode 4, and it omits mention of Spock's adopted sister, .........

While most of Spock's service record appears logical, there are two interesting facts that stand out. The first is that Sybok is listed as Spock's half-brother, indicating that Starfleet is aware of the rogue Vulcan heretic. The other is the lack of reference to then-Commander (now Captain) Michael Burnham of the USS Discovery, Spock's adopted sister.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

OK so these ships have a crew of 203 with only one doctor? and seemingly only one pilot?

Post edited by pjcb on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think

I was just thinking the same. I think William S underrated as an actor. He just did vulnerable masculinity with great panche. It was a so so episode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I imagine it is a "Chief Medical Officer", but for simplicities sake, you don't see the other medics unless it's an emergency, they have other, less important jobs the rest of the time. I imagine in that time, the need for a GP for every minor ailment is not really existent or at least, only takes about 2 minutes per patient, so on a normal day, if everyone came down with something minor, it still would only occupy a bare working day.

As for the pilot, I imagine it is just a shift thing, just like every other Trek show. I know a few of them have done a parody of the "night shift", they have loads of pilots, Ortega is just considered the best one and called in outside of her day shift when something big is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've definitely seen other medics walking around in the background on the show.

As for Ortegas, "I fly the ship" is literally her entire character to the point of parody so I imagine she just doesn't sleep.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Having a doctor and a nurse on a military(ish) ship with a crew of 200 is a huge medical staff. Most navies would have one person with training more in line with a very well trained paramedic on a ship that size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"We've never needed a crew before".

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Star Trek has always quietly ignored the idea of Shifts anyway - bar Lower Decks which made a small running joke about it. By rights the ensemble should be even bigger than it is, with whole episodes featuring the Night or Backup shifts.

Shifts come up quite a bit but rarely more than a throwaway line

That's what I mean. Just throwaway stuff that amounts to being ignored; which I get. It'd be very weird if TNG periodically had some crazy alien adventures befall Acting Captain Bob and his trusty Number 1, Sandra.

An exploration ship in the middle of space, days/weeks/months from backup with a crew of aliens and meeting who knows what?

Better have a 2nd doctor in the house

It would usually be one of the other bridge officers in command, even Harry Kim gets a shot at it a few times a week

The same could be said for a ship or sub at war.

Not really. The Enterprise is an exploration vessel which will come across unexpected spacial dangers and novel diseases.

I know very few modern ships which are months away from help, anywhere on Earth, or any which will encounter a subspace rift or disease no one has ever seen before with no means of resupply

The only Enterprise to be months away from help was the NX. But it's about crew efficiency, having multiple doctors doing nothing for days or weeks on end is a waste. As it is M'Benga and Chapel don't seem to be very busy most of the time outside of their pet projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,669 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Star Trek has always quietly ignored the idea of Shifts anyway"

• Advertisement
Advertisement