Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4, Cula4, TG4 +1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I prefer the original French titles myself but the Irish ones definitely hit cult status.

Telegael did quite a few Irish dubs in the pre-TnaG days. I remember Baby Follies (another French one) was redubbed as Tír na hÓige.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Also one about Puffin Detectives... I just remember learning that bleachtaire was the Irish for Detective.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Bring back Pop4 with Eoghan McDermott 😉

Saol Ella (Ella's Life, a pun in Irish Ella's Life and Another Life) is the new Afric starting this autumn

______

Yesterday

BAI now carrying out their SIA.

No ads according to the proposal. It would be nice if we got to put our 2c into the mix. or even see the proposal.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Master Anorak

I presume if this goes ahead, they'll be able to take Cula4 off the main channel and pump out more episodes of the golden girls, Murder she wrote, the weakest link and heart to heart during the morning and afternoon

You would hope that they would mix it with a local daytime chatshow, local repeats, archive programmes and improve the mix of classic shows that they air. They've started showing Shark Tank lately.

This would be part of the proposal as to move Cula4 from TG4 would require Ministerial Approval.

Currently

CULA 4 - 7 TO 11:10 (4hrs)

11:10 (Classic/Bought in) Wonder Years, The Golden Girls, Luke Nguyen's Greater Mekong

12:40 (Repeat) Garrí Glas

12:10 (Classic/Bought In) Hart To Hart, Shark Tank

15:00 CULA 4 (2hrs 30mins)

17:30 (Repeat) Bailte

18:00 (Classic) Golden Girls, The Wonder Years

They could produce a 2 hour daytime show that repeats in the morning, much like what RTÉ do. But how much would that 2 hours cost? which would take money away from Prime Time / Quality programming.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Master Anorak

They have pretty much morphed into Daytime RTE One 1997-2004ish with Murder see wrote, Heart to Heart & The golden girls

We just need Dallas and Knots Landing.

there are other problems with the proposal (though having not seen the proposal!)

1. TG4 have €40m per year (they might provide it with more at the budget
    2. TG4 spend about €25m on commissions (including Children's)
    3. TG4 spend about €3m on imports (including Children's)
    4. I could be wrong but dubbing for Children's costs about €2m per year
    5. TG4 spend about €3m on Sporting rights
    6. TG4 spend about €9m on Broadcast, Marketing, Subtitling and staffing.

Give or take.

1. Will they get more in the budget
    2. How much more can the spend on Commissions, if you ad daytime show your taking at least €5m from current commissions, less for drama, less for documentaries and other more expensive content.
    3. Could TG4 justify buying in more imports ? I think they have it about right
    4. Could TG4 repeat live sports during the day like VMTV MORE
    5. How much does broadcast for a 2nd channel cost?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

• Advertisement

I think they could put a film channel on from 8pm to 1am, ~3 films a night.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I place the blame for that entirely upon those responsible for the 2009 Broadcasting Act, upon the BAI and upon the absolutely visionless folks in charge of the whole hot mess.

You get the impression that Ireland only transitioned to digital television because it was pushed on us, we'd be quite happy to live with RTE One, RTE Two, TV3 and TG4 on Analogue PAL. Then they try to market it as a clone of the Freeview platform in the UK but propose conditions that none of the potential commercial operators were willing to accept, conditions that make it impossible for anyone else to use the spectrum and so here we are.

I wonder if the 2009 Act even allows for a third PSB Multiplex, there's no chance of any commercial ones starting up, not even an option for 'minimuxs' or regional ones that might let an operator, say, like VM expand outside cities

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Act doesn't provide for a third PSB mux but there shouldn't be a major problem with the BAI issuing one of their 4 mux licences for PSB content following the usual consultation and ministerial approval process.

@rogue-entity plenty of people on boards in the 2000s saying that any DTT would largely just consist of RTÉ ONE, N2, TV3 and TG4 and not much more, other were insistant that they had to have BBC 1, 2, UTV and C4! and as it progressed that what we saw was RTÉ ONE, 2, VMTV and TG4, with the addition of RTÉjr and Sky NEWS, you can't consider VMTV 2, 3, 4 and RTÉ +1 channels to be extra channels, same goes for RTÉ NEWS, while they couldn't even get OTV on to the platform.

I can guarantee you that most of those in charge actually think Soarview is a suitable service, with the 3 PSB'ers and the 4 VMTV channels along with Sky News. How did VMTV FOUR or Sky News make it on to the platform?

Several options were put forward to the BAI to examine in terms of new broadcasters, BAI view was that none were ready to go, not that the BAI took the time to pick up the phone or send an email to any of the people that put forward those ideas.

Anyway we prob should be grateful for CULA4 and TG4 +1 at this point in the game.

______

Yesterday

Why would they? We've gone from 4 Analogue channels to 4 Digital Channels with some extras as mentioned already, oh and the addition of Sky News. IMO a failure.

______

Yesterday

And Gay Byrne ... don't forget that the Dept of Comms had to have their own DSO campaign also.

______

Yesterday

TG4 HD now available on Saorview.

Will this mean the muxs are full

RTÉ ONE, 2 and TG4 in HD with 8 SD channels including Cula4/TG4 +1

______

Yesterday

Cula4 is now starting at 6am on TG4, while it seems they have extended their late night early morning schedule with repeats of prime time TG4 and France 24 now only begins at 5:30

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

TG4 SD - on Saorsat looks really washed out. Blacks are grey. Is this intentional? Or is it just they haven’t noticed?

i can’t see TG4 going HD on saorsat, I guess they don’t use it for any transmission back up?

Great to see CINE4 work out so well for TG4, BAI and Screen Ireland. A great project, regardless of the Oscar nod and awards.

It would be great if TG4+1 would be come CINE4, if TG4+1 happens.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sorry, but I find it very hard to believe that 7 million elderly people in the UK were (in 2023) dependant on LW radio.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To be clear, regardless of the economics of Cula4, this thread is not the place to have a debate on the economics of RTE Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd rather they spend that money on promoting the Irish language here than wasting it on a service for listeners in the UK who can very easily replace 252LW with other means of listening.

TG4 is not RTÉ so it bares no relevance to LW. IMO. But I don't think this channel will not appear on Saorview, most likely it and TG4 +1 will be on Sky and Virgin only, much like their HD channel. I don't think TG4 will be spending vast amounts more on the content that it currently provides, which largely constitutes a channel in itself on TG4.

RTÉ and TG4 need to use YouTube more, but that is not to say that moving children's TV from TG4 and RTÉ2 doesn't benefit other viewers.

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The TG4 Player has not only TG4+1 but TG4+2, btw. And live restart for good measure (which I really wish RTE had on there’s).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

That's weird , they definitely had it at one point because I remember using to rewind a live programme and it wasn't the +1 because I didn't have access to a telly

I have wondered why they didn't extend it to R1 but if they don't continue it for tv no wonder it wasn't rolled out to radio

Test pages for TG4 +1 and Cula4 are now showing on Saorview, Channel 14 and channel 18.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Had there been any indication of Cula4 or TG4+1 going on Sky?

I think it would be fair to say that TG4 will look for them to appear on Sky and Virgin Media. Quick search does show that they have been added to satellite.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

what epg numbers are they on on sky? I don’t have sky.

Advertisement