Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 7) Bunclody (12th August @1:10pm)

Options
  • 27-07-2023 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

(Previous outing link: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058304062/boards-golf-society-2023-round-6-glasson-22th-july-11-10am/p1 )

A great win for aPostPunk at our our last round which was a great success after a very damp July. We move to another of my favourite courses in the country in Bunclody golf and fishing club which is fast becoming a jewel in Ireland’s crown of fine courses. This will be my second play here, from my first play in the society in a previous year I have great memories of a unique course which changes regularly and has a stunning and unique finish snaking alongside the river Slaney.

Clubnet will be populated shortly for bookings. This one will be €45.

Post edited by slave1 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Never played it...so, looking forward to this one..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Another course design element I remember from my first play at bunclody was some holes had very large unraked bunker type wasteground areas. Often they are not directly in play, but you still have to play over them a few times. I've played these in courses in the US, but we tend to not have areas like this in Irish golf.

Post edited by RoadRunner on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Was looking at it on Hole19 earlier in the week, and it looks like there's a huge amount of trouble on the course. Will definitely be one for a more restrained approach i'd imagine.

Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Played it few times and whilst the last one was with the society maybe 7 years ago, I do remember a few cracking holes and walking off thinking it was a great course. Looking forward to the return visit

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭a post punk

I’m fairly sure I haven’t played this 1 before , must have missed the outing last time with the society, I’ll be moving into the 60’s of Courses played in Ireland with this 1 which is great but still a lot to look forward to…..

Nice to be heading to the next event with a much needed win under the belt and thanks to all sending congratulations through boards and text after Glasson , much appreciated 👍

PP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

When I worked at Jeff Howes Golf Design, this was one of the 1st projects I was involved with, holds special memories for me.

Its essentially three different courses. 1st 5 holes are pasture land, with gentle rolling contouring, very well bunkered and open tree planting that I am sure is maturing nicely now. 6 to 9 are the river holes and play very tough, if I remember correctly there is 30 something waster bunkers over 6, 7, 8 and 9. A nod to courses like Pine Valley. 10 to 13 takes you back to the pasture holes, where from 14 on wards you are playing in a fab Pine Forest course with some dramatic elevation changes, (there is a lift to take you from 17 green to 18 tee box). 15, 16 and 18 are great holes.

Flybys here - https://vimeo.com/showcase/3515138

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Play this one regularly . Killarney too. So plenty of scar tissue.

Tough opening trio of 2 par 5's either side of a scratch golfers par 4.

13 through 17 is a fantastic stretch of holes and will decide the outcome.

It's a big course, not your typical resort course so bring your A game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Looking forward to the full weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

I love Bunclody and have played it looks its actually a really hidden gem as the green fees aren't mad money where the could easily be! It be up there in my Top 5 parklands along with Castlecomer although I do find Castlecomer harder though! I have always played well in Bunclody + have great memories as I have have won a few society outings there long before I found my Boards home ☺️ So am absolutely raging to be missing this! Really should look at dates more 🙄

In all the times I have played it I have never scored on the 18th! Mad as I have tried everything even wedge off the Tee 😂 (its a par 5). Just suits a fade and ditch is very close if you draw it, with woods on the right that if you go into its a reload.. Its a fantastic hole as I always think about it plus its unique in where it has a lift up to it 😂

• Advertisement

Hah, i only just realised that i have played here before, on a stag last summer. Barely remember getting to the place, nevermind what the course is actually like 🤣

When does the time sheet open?

I’ll have it set up this evening

Teesheet open

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭bobster453

Booked

Brilliant course.Love everything about it.

Percentage play a priority.

Lift is a really cool addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Richiemaloney

New one for me looking forward to it 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Snackbox20

Played this course 5 or 6 times and it is one of my top 3. From the iconic clubhouse with its thatched roof to the scenic index 1 on the 15th, the course is immaculate. As @Golfgraffix correctly pointed out it is a mixture of a number of different golf courses, the back nine boasting the best of the 18. It is worth noting also, the waste ground bunkers on the river holes on the front 9 you are allowed ground your club in them, it always gave me the feeling it was like whistling straits in the US. Bunclody has a fantastic finishing hole, after walking off the 17th (you take a 5 storey lift, and 🙏🙏🙏 that it's not As Seirbhis or in repair, you walk off the I'm a celebrity bridge onto a sloping par 5 that opens up and presents a lake guarding the left side of the green and the gallery from the clubhouse bar can see you putt your eagle, birdie, par, or worse. Those of you that have not yet played here, you are in for a golfing treat. Deffo looking forward to this.

Here is a taster to whet the appetite

See you there

Booked in there, last slot. No problem if its moved forward a bit due to numbers.

Can't wait to get out again, and hoping to get in a round or two before this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Break80

Played it once but only remember the lift to 18.

Looks stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I'm hoping to make my Boards society debut at this one, booked in for the 2pm slot.

Eager beaver, taking this as a sign, bobster453 -> winner with 43 points!

DQ'd for not signing his card 😁

Welcome. We occasionally have to rejig the times just before the event, so the 2pm could end up being 1:50pm for example. So good idea to keep your eye on here occasionally 👍️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Thanks - I'm a regular lurker so I'll keep an eye out! Looking forward to it.

I'm afraid you're no longer a lurker buddy! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

After a successful start to the Boards season of making 5 starts in a row, I'm going to have to miss a second event unfortunately. Sounds like a great course and varied challenge.

@RoadRunner guess I better sign card before I play then😀

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Booked into the last slot, looking forward to this one, another course I haven't played! Course looks class from the pics.

I've realised that my past few rounds I've started really slow, scratching loads of the opening holes. Think I'm just not warming up enough so will try hit the range on this one.

Hopefully this weather fecks off by then. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

big problem f mine is not hitting balls to warm up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement