Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

empty gesture?

• 26-07-2023 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭

I meet people from different countries through work most days. if you are with them for a day or 2, sometimes they say thanks for everything, great to meet you, if you are ever in France, America etc come visit us, you can stay at our house. I always say, yeah definitely but at the same time im thinking, are they serious or what? lol nice to offer but surely it cant be genuine? would you make the same offer to a stranger really?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've made the offer in the past and certainly meant it. A few took up the offer. You get a connection with some people fairly quickly and know those you'd like to spend some time with. I've made good friends as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭pgj2015

For some reason I think Irish people inviting foreigners would be an empty gesture, maybe not the other way around.

An uncle of mine invited a hippy to stay at his house when drunk in amsterdam, the guy said can I stay a few days? my uncle said a few days, you can stay as long as you like lol but then he didnt want him there when he turned up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Have made the offer. Have been taken up on it. Have been offered it. Have taken up the invite.

If you work with them then they probably have similar experiences/interests, possibly similar personalities. You can tell pretty quickly if you have a connection with someone. Hardly a perfect stranger.

She not he, a few of them.

I worked for them, not with them. I run a business.

I must text some of them for the craic sometime and see if they want to meet up in their country, I would never stay with them though, Id rather stay at a hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,886 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

She not he, a few of them.

Could be after a bit more than a business relationship maybe 😉

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Great lol one of them was married and he was there when she said it but the latest one, not sure if she is single or not, she didn't mention a husband or partner.

Advertisement