Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marty Morrissey Tax on Car

Options

Comments

I'm public sector. I'm prohibited from taking ANY gifts.

As I've posted in another thread. One of my Groomsmen has a business golf day, each year, and have had to say no to playing a round with him on that day. I don't even use his business at work and never could!

Then I see the government golf society antics, expenses, Zappone taking weird routes to the Dáil. Now we see the RTÉ pigs in the trough.

I can't go for a round of golf with a friend of 25 years and they do all this???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Your right but its distracting from other things like the childrens hospital which it 50 RTE’s. The electric buses in dublin sitting idle at a cost of 150 million. The waste of money by the government on any number of other things. the HSE is RTE on steroids.

my understanding is that it was handed back as it was breech of ethics / optics.

Nothing to suggest anything wrong from a tax perspective, we simply don’t know this and I don’t think it’s reasonable to throw around baseless acquisitions like satguy did and claim “Marty must pay up” whatever that means(I don’t think satguy knows himself)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hero001

This falls clearly under the Revenue third party benefits rules, and the responsibility for accounting for the tax rests with the party providing the benefit. Questions about third-party benefits are very standard in any Revenue payroll tax audit, and most of the bigger firms with dedicated employment tax teams have been drumming up business by bringing items like this to their clients' attention on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,873 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The Boy Racing Thief With Teeth for High Beams

Hope he pays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭satguy

We can all see what Marty was up to,, we Irish even have a name for it,, = cute hoor

And RTE like the Dáil,,seems to have an over supply of them. His outstanding Tax is fair game for discussion and Boards is a discussion forum.

I’m not sure it does. Martys account is that it was in exchange for unpaid work for Renault, nothing to do with Rte, and he is not an employee of Renault so no obligation on them to look after his taxes. he needs to calculate the tax value of the benefit (revenue have guidelines on how to calculate and they are not low) and declare it as self employed income. That would be my take on it.

marty does enough corporate gigs so safe to assume that he is registered for self assessment income tax and has an accountant who would advise this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,906 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'nothing to do with RTE' would have more weight if it had been skoda or ford, say; but renault, who were part of the spark that lit this fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Who is stopping you from playing golf? Just go along, tee off on the 1st and enjoy your day.

• Advertisement

We're not allowed accept business gifts of any kind.

It would be a round on a very expensive course organised by the business. Everyone else there would be their customers. I may be going entirely as his friend but optics still make it a no-go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

why did he return the car so in the midst of a scandal if it was all above board

Can you clarify what you mean by “above board” (which I never claimed anything to be). Are you talking about his tax situation or his contact/ethical obligations with Rte. two very different things and as we are in the tax sub forum and the ops question is tax related that’s what I am focusing on.

You can be offside on one and be on side with the other. They are not mutually exclusive

it’s off topic, but if you are asking me why I think he resigned I think it is related to the optics and most importantly was to save his reputation. Coming forward is better than it being reported. This type of discussion is better suited to any of the other 10 threads which are running on this topic which are not in the tax sub forum. Not every thread has to become repetitive and have parallel discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doc22

You'd be prohibted from taking gifts while doing your Job. I'd fail to see going golfing with a friend could be prohibited. If there was a conflict on interest it was already there before the golf anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

He may attempt to claim it was a "pool car", the rules are quite strict though : https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/benefit-in-kind-for-employers/private-use-company-cars/exemptions.aspx

Car-pools

If your employee uses an employer-provided vehicle in a car-pool, they do not have to pay the following on this benefit: 

A car-pool exists where:

• a car is available and used by more than one employee
    • the car must not be regularly used by one employee who prevents others from using it
    • private use of the car by the employee is minimal
    • the car is not regularly kept overnight at or near the employee’s home.

State employees may have to drive a State-owned car as part of their job. They may keep that car overnight at, or near, their home, if:

• they are on call outside their normal working hours
    • the car would otherwise be a ‘pool car’.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,906 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a bit late for him to attempt that claim, given he's released a public statement where he stated *he* was given the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭nachouser

That car was just resting in his driveway.

If people were looking for a reason not to pay the RTE license fee,, well they have it now..

I saw Leo on TV saying he will still pay his,, more fool him..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Was he claiming milage for travel to events?

Did he have a fuel card for the vehicle?

Did he have a car allowance from RTE?

Who was paying his insurance & Tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

his tax obligations of course

optics? its too late for optics, I mean its not much of a story really, other than the story caused by it coming out this way, if hed done nothing it wouldn't even have been talked about

if renault want to give him a car, for doing appearances for them, no problem

if it turned out RTE were paying for the car....

thats the problem here

plus the stupid wages he was getting.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Will you get be able to take out an insurance policy on a car that you don't own or aren't leasing?

As he was not the registered owner, the tax renewal details would not have been sent to him. Similarly, if the car was over four years old, he possibly would not have been able to NCT it (he certainly would not have received any notifications from NCTS about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Martymobile doesn’t need to pay tax. In fact, tax pays the Martymobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've seen some pathetic attempts at rabble rousing in my day but this takes the biscuit.

Jealousy is a disease, get help.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Speaking the truth some might say,, how is that rabble rousing ??

Maybe we are the Rabble,, and maybe with all that has come to light, we are now roused,, and rightly so.. Are you not ??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You're being silly.

You can take a day of annual leave and do what you damn well please.

At what point do gifts from friends and family start being ANYTHING to do with your work gifting protocols, especially as you say there is no possible connection between his business and your role.

When your wife, sorry, mother got you a new beige tie for Christmas, did you declare it?

What if she gifted you a round of golf?

This whole treatment of sponsorships has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.

A whole bunch of Irish athletes from all sorts of sports get sponsored cars. They don't get them from their employer. They get free habitual use of them from a maker or a garage who wishes to be associated with them.

Take a rugby player or a pro sprinter. Both are paid to play, either a salary or a grant and the matter of BIK on the vehicle, in the way it has been supplied, does not arise.

Neither does it arise for Marty Morrissey. It does look bad in the context of the last fortnight, but he hasn't done anything wrong, even in the treatment of BIK and really the pearl clutching should stop and be saved for those in RTÉ management who cooked up actual deceptive arrangements. And also fostered a permissive and inequitable culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Anyone with half a brain knows how difficult it is to evict a tenant and how long it takes.

The statement is a lot closer to defamation than speaking the truth.

And yes, you are the rabble.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

he said his friend has a business golf day - i took the inference is that it's the company his friend works for (or owns) the company hosting the event, rather than his friend. so it doesn't matter if it's his friend or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats irrelevant to the context in which the poster has been invited. His presence has nothing to do with the conduct of business in either direction. He has nothing to sell or buy. He's just making up numbers on the tee.

I spent 15 years aggregate in the public sector and in my view, where there is zero possible conflict of interest, such a thing is nobody else's business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Capital Acquisition Tax?

If you receive a gift, you may have to pay gift tax on it. If you receive an inheritance following a death, it may be liable to inheritance tax. Both these taxes are types of Capital Acquisitions Tax.

Advertisement