Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

But I just don't think I could hack the camping in a tent

Yeah, I'd be the same... I would absolutely love to go to Glastonbury, but I don't think the few days in a tent would be for me...

I'd want some level of comfort like a relatively comfortable bed, a shower, and the ability to safely lock and secure my belongings.... I think if I was going, a camper van would be at least a minimum requirement for me.. unless of course there were reasonably priced accommodation options with the above amenities... I know EP over here have some options like that, but they are pricy...

I only ever camped in a tent at a festival once before, (Life Festival 2009 in Ballinlough Castle), and while it wasn't too bad (though cold at night), that was a very small festival and would be in no way comparable to Glastonbury, and 14-15 years later, I think I've outgrown my ability to put up with such a situation...

I'd be interested to hear from any folk that have been in a camper van, either rented in Ireland or in the U.K., and then took it to Glastonbury..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Have been 13 (or maybe 14) times. 4 or 5 times in a campervan, the rest in a tent.

Campervans are expensive and you can be parked miles away. Like a 20 minute walk to the gate to get in. The showers in them are crap. And everyone can hear you having a ****. Also a lot of toilet admin, emptying the little blue waste thing.

My missus said she'd never go to Glasto nevermind stay in a tent but she did one year and never looked back. Tent all the way. Get a decent tent you can stand up in.

You can leave your valuable stuff in the lockups on site for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TenPicnics

The thing is, you can get really, really lucky, and actually succeed in getting a ticket the one year you decide to go, but every year hundreds of thousands really want to go, they register, they apply for tickets on the day applications open, but they don't get tickets.

It's not a ticket you can just buy, it's a lottery with only a minority succeeding. Am sure there are some ultra expensive packages that include a ticket, but unless you have 10 grand or so to throw around then it's the lottery like the rest of us, where you have roughly (very roughly) a one in 5 chance of getting through to a ticket. My advice is look now at registering (the official Glastonbury website has tons of info) and try for a ticket for 2024 this October/November. If you're lucky in Oct/Nov you will get through and have a ticket secured (with only 50 quid deposit), and you have months then to decide before the balance payment date and resale in spring 2024. If you have a few friends who also want to go, if you all register this year you can work together when the ticket sale/lottery date comes around, you all try and if one person gets through they can secure tickets for the group (you share your registration codes with each other). I was the one person in my group who got through and got tickets for the 3 in my group. I spent a long time researching how to do it - previous Glastonbury threads here on boards were incredibly helpful, but also check out the information on the official website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

First Glasto can be tough (Although at least it was dry for you - too hot but at least dry). One tends to try to cram in as much as possible (Oh I'll see 20 mins of this and hop over there for 30 mins of that and then yonder for last 15 mins of something else). It's not really feasible over the few days. But that just goes with experience.

It was another hot year this year. That's 3 in a row if I remember correctly. I definitely found it a bit easier this year than last year though. I think they'll get into a bit of trouble over the crowds at Elton John. That was MASSIVE. We stayed a good bit back and to the side as we were not too pushed for him and hit looked crazy big. I don't know how it compared with McCartney as we were up between the front of the sondstages for that but, to me, it looked way too big. (I believe they got their knuckles rapped about the crowding for The Killers in the John Peel/Woodsies a few years ago). Couple of musings:

• I miss Williams Green and hope it comes back. Was always a great hangout on Thursday especially. I'm not adverse to change but that was a great spot.
    • Glad they added more compost toilets near Pedestrian Gate A. It helped.
    • However they removed one of the water sources at the bottom of that area (Now enclosed by staff area). That caused delays early in the mornings.
    • Food prices have definitely gone up but that's not limited to Glastonbury.
    • Last year the sound from Arcadia and The Other Stage was VERY loud near where we usually camp (Near Pedestrian Gate A). But this year it was very much improved. Cheap pair of earplugs solved that.
    • No Lanyards. That was a pity as I usually keep them as souvenirs

So yeah, I enjoyed this Glasto a lot. I definitely found it easier on the auld bod than last year. THAT was tough for some reason

• Advertisement

If they keep this new system, the above is out the window.

You and your 3 mates (Ive similar numbers) stand little chance against 1 person who gets their entire school/college class to try for them.

Works in a sales floor environment before and could've easily got 50 people trying for me under this new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yeah, the whole sleeping in a tent for 5 nights thing was a worry for me beforehand, not gonna lie. But honestly, it was no problem at all. Half decent self-inflating mattress and a 4 man blackout tent for the 2 of us was fine. As The Nal says above though, I would seriously consider a tent that I can stand up in for next time. Although you do have to consider the extra weight of a bigger tent along with the bigger footprint of the thing meaning your campsite choices get slightly more limited the later you arrive. The biggest problem for me was trying to make sure that my daughter kept her side of the tent tidy and put all her makeup brushes away (about 60 of the bastards) when she'd finished with them.

Showers consisted of stand up washes outside the tent with a collapsible bucket and a couple of cloths. Admittedly, this was made easier with the weather this year, but it was fine, and really most people are in the same boat. We did consider queueing for the Greenpeace showers, but really we didn't want to be wasting time doing that when there was so much to see.

But couldn't they always have done that? Oh wait, under the new system is the deposit payment requirement gone? Sorry for probably stupid question, I've been wondering what is the difference with the new system.

The old system meant you needed to pay for the tickets, well the £50 deposit. So buying tickets for 6 people meant you needed 300 quid or to give all the other people trying your CC info. Which isnt a runner obviously.

Now all you need is the reg and you get a payment link later. So you could lash your reg details up on Twitter, FB, Insta et al and have your followers/mates all trying for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't think it will change anything much. For the handful of people who can pursuade a bunch of others to enter their details for them it won't have much impact on the rest of us. Will mean that you are less likely to loose out on all 6 of you getting tickets because one muppet in your group decided to sneakily add their reg number to multiple other groups without telling you and so your application fails, and less issues with chasing people for their deposit money.

There will also be more resales as people don't stump up their deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

All that discomfort is fine for you and me but a lot of people wouldn’t put up with that stuff and it would ruin the experience. I have some friends who enjoy the odd gig, they went to a festival once and stayed off site in a BnB because they can’t hack the toilets / tenting. Every year they say they’d love to go to Glasto with me but they would hate it and are better off watching from the couch. It’s dirty, it’s smelly, it’s an endurance test even when it’s dry, there’s not much comfort etc. It’s a very intense environment so it’s definitely not for everyone but I’m glad you enjoyed your first visit and I hope we all get tickets again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Reckon the recent demand boosted hugely by the good weather. Two or three shetstorms in a row (97/98) for examp would impact latent demand.

Genuinely believe you havent done Glasters until you've been through a 2007 or 2016. The last 4 bear little resemblance.

I hope you're right but I think itll be a lot more than a handful. Resale this year went in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

7 million plus watching Elton on the BBC won’t help either. A record breaker apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

To be fair, they haven't actually confirmed that it'll be the same deposit set up as the resale this year (although it looks like it probably will be) and also, do we even know how many tickets were in the resale pot to sell out that quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

As per previous posts this sale occurs on a Sunday morning at 9am. An entire office won’t be helping out.

People can get pals to help out but that has been the way for my crowd for the past 15 years. When not going I get online to help pals and they return the favour on years they’re not going.

Good luck getting hungover or exhausted people out of bed at 8.30am on a weekend morning to do you a favour. There’s no hope of an 18 (or 25) year old kid getting their pals online with codes to do them a favour. Some will but not greatly more than help at present.

Any alarm about the new system is misguided. The same people will be trying. The big difference is that you won’t get kicked out of the system at the point of payment. That is one hell of an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

If you do need to go with a smaller tent, due to weight or footprint concerns, I've found that having one with vertical sidewalls is a big help. Even though you can't stand up it feels like you have a lot more space than a standard dome because you can sit upright anywhere in the tent.

Examples would be the msr Elixir or Decathlon quickhiker ranges.

This is my tent. Plenty of room to stand up, hang things off etc and only 11kg. Its done 10 or so festivals now.

This is all I bring to festivals between myself and Mrs Nal, apart from a small bag she carries. Less is more!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

2007 was my third Glastonbury but I was with 2 newbies who never returned after that. It was still a good year music wise from what I remember but the sucking mud really dragged you down after a while(pun intended). We ended up trying to stay in the same place as much as possible so I guess they didn't really get the full site experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

It's the credit card only thing that annoys me. I think i know only one person with a credit card, everyone else (myself included) has a debit. Is there any particular reason they won't accept debit card payments?

On the mud thing, i'd have been delighted if every single year i went had been devoid of rain. This notion of not having done a real Glastonbury if you never experienced the mud is nonsense. I reckon 98 was worse than 2007. On the flipside, 95 and 2010 were my hottest, with an honourable mention to 92.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Wooderson

97 was worse than 07, wasnt there 98. 2016 was most grim I think. To suggest these years are comparable to 2010 or 2017/19/22/23 is a strange one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's just to do with the international payments. Guess it costs more in fees or something to accept international debit cards, but for UK purchasers it's debit cards only and no credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I guess the lanyards are single use plastic and are banned.

I think Elton John was the biggest crowd ever at Glastonbury - maybe 120,000.

I've seen photos of the other stages during his gig and they were basically empty.

I think a techie could write some code to apply multiple times.

I'm not certain though

Debit cards fine if you’re in the UK. it’s credit cards only for international payments. Not sure why. Possibly an insurance thing? Someone with greater knowledge of international banking would be able to answer.

I think it will always be popular now and oversubscribed.

Social media and influencers and TikTok make it very bucketlisty.

I think it didn't even sell out in 08.

They could easily do it over two weekends like Coachella but maybe too many complaints from neighbors although I guess everyone makes money from it.

I imagine lots of people go once and say "never again" whilst others fall in love with the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭riddles

It’s been a long time since Glasto didn’t sell out, if ever. No event this century had tickets left over. 2008 was late, but sold out.

The festival doesn’t need social media to attract people. Most attendees are returnees and the BBC coverage ensures it attracts new fans.

I also don’t know anyone who’s only been once. There must be such people but they’re rare though I couldn’t blame them if they arrived in 1997 or 2007. My pal Rachel came with us last year for the first time at the age of 51. By October she was online looking for a second ticket. It’s not something to tick off the bucket list, it’s the greatest show on earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

98 was worse than 97 although for some reason it's 97 that always gets the mention.

I'm really not sure what you're on about with your second sentence. I was just responding to a previous post you had made about mud. Then also highlighted my hottest years as an aside. At no point did i compare the wet & muddy years to 2010/17/19/22/23. Fairly simple, no confusion, i'd have thought.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Advertisement