Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RoTelly

How to break up RTÉ and have some kind of separation from the current management and structures.

1. SCREEN IRELAND / FÍS ÉIREANN takes control of TV (Broadcast, Commissioning and Production ex news and current affairs)
    2. RTÉ's network 2RN takes control of Radio (Broadcast, Commissioning and Production ex news and Current affairs)
    3. A new separate company takes control of News and Current Affairs for production for each of the above, programmes are commissioned from them.
    4. TG4 and RnaG merge
    5. RTÉ CO moves to NCH

RTÉ board and Executive teams are removed and may not hold any position in the above company for at least the next 2 years.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Iecrawfc

It sounds like NKM agency has an awful lot of power in RTE ? Where or how did that come about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,274 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Saw an headline on the Irish Examiner website - Noel Kelly 'the real DG'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The Phoenix twitter account been having a field day about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Dee Forbes didn't care about providing a better TV experience for Irish viewers ... she took huge money allowed Tubbers and co do same .... and sat back and did nothing but look after the cronies ... extra episodes of First Dates? That says it all ....

She seemed hellbent on reviving Amy Hubermann too .... some of the worst and cheap to make dramas like Striking Out and Finding Joy were made ... until the penny dropped that they were not as popular as hoped ...

It is good she is gone ... but don't expect anything radically different from the next guy .... the vile reality TV culture that the likes of Forbes and Tubbers promoted has become ingrained into Irish TV .... it is a monster they helped grow and one that will outlive their stints on RTE ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,235 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Isn't Simon Coveney's relative "working" for Dee or was

His brother Rory is Director of Strategy, he sits on the executive board. He was tipped to be the next Director General.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Apparently over 50 million euros have been paid to agencies during the past 10 years. Whistleblower believes Tubridy is just tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Joe Brolly (not everyone's cup of tea) heading a field day with this on Twitter.

He won't say how much RTÉ pay their sports panels.

On sports now that all this is happing to we feel confident that RTÉ are are telling the truth about GAA GO ?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Well, the interesting thing is that Brolly fell foul of two of NK Management's clients, notably Claire Byrne and Joanne Cantwell.

The latter presenter essentially got him fired from the Sunday Game. (Well, it was more complicated than that, but just for shiz and giggles, we'll say it was just that easy). He's undoubtedly irritated he's not getting that RTE paycheck every week.

There's going to be far more scrutiny on that GAA Go app now. RTE looking more and more like the mafia now than they are a legitimate organization.

• An interesting choice of words from Minister of State Patrick O'Donovan about this whole mess. He talks about "undoubtedly" there is going to be a "serious hit" to the television licence fee, and that commercial revenue will also be "impacted". Also speaks about RTE having a "fundamental problem" and that "everything has to be put on the table" with a "re-examination of what public sevice broadcasting is".

If he's hinting at ripping down the whole edifice of what RTE currently is, then that needs to happen IMO. If it wants to be a public service broadcaster it needs to give up its advertising revenue income and commercial sponsorship income too. Should this mean closing down the likes of 2FM etc, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Unfortunately I can see this blowing over my next weekend, such is the Irish way.

Normally I'd be inclined to agree, but considering the possibly MASSIVE amounts of money that we are talking about here, and how many presenters careers are hanging by a thread, I think this is more than a 'over by the weekend' story.

RTE staff are now threatening to no longer work with the likes of Tubridy. It's an internal, as well as external, mess up. Staff who walked the straight and narrow are angry, and folks who were threatened with prison over not paying a license fee are angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Tubridy and anyone else who have been involved in this (management and "superstar contract presenters") should be told that their services are no longer required and if that means RTE Radio 1 having to search for new "talent" so be it.

I'm sorry, I just don't accept "I didn't know" or I wasn't made aware". Absolute BS.

Well, Damn...

Dee Forbes resigned. Think she's gonna be made the sacrificial lamb.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I flicked through her statement…

she’s basically saying it’s not her fault, deals were already in place before she came in, she was just trying to save RTÉ some money etc….. blah blah fcuking blah….

how coincidental that the sacrificial lamb was on her way out the door anyway… I bet she’s even done a deal to take the hit for this in return for a cash incentive of some sort…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Poor dee!😪

Pathetic statement....absolutely pathetic....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I have always thought Dee Forbes is a very unlikeable person, her resignation statement fully compounds my thinking.

Declan McBenet tweeted out how good RTÉ's sports coverage was, as if we have forgotten GAA GO, can we trust them on what the said about GAA Go now?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

resigned 2 weeks before she was due to resign anyway!

I met her, stand offish, unwilling to be criticized. Very must planned not to be in the limelight of the role.

Is the CEO/DG of a company an employee, I mean they are but aren't they also the boss.

______

Yesterday

I don't feel sorry for anyone in RTÉ. It's like they have just found their balls to speak up, they had plenty of time to call out the bad management of the company. Everyone looking in was saying it was badly run and here we are now.

______

Yesterday

Yeah, fcuk them all.

All crying foul now that it’s officially public knowledge how utterly rotten the organisation is.

Said fcuk all while they all benefited from it, but now their all trying to save their own arses.

Every last one of them should lose their job and have to re-apply to whatever ends up replacing RTÉ, and for a fraction of the remuneration they have enjoyed for so long. No more out of hours bonus for having to do their jobs after 5pm, no more unions, no more cushy numbers for family members, no more fcuking car allowance…..

Dee playing the mental health card.....

"Finally, I want to reiterate that I have engaged fully with the Board during this process. However, the Board has not treated me with anything approaching the levels of fairness, equity and respect that anyone should expect as an employee, a colleague or a person. All of this has had a very serious and ongoing impact on my health and wellbeing."

In other words, "everyone just leave me alone"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Gusser09

There's my Direct Debit cancelled. And **** them.

Shouldn't be called the License fee anymore. Call it what it is. The RTE stars benevolent fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭wassie

Interview Dee did just over 2 years ago.

WHAT ARE YOUR MAIN PRIORITIES FOR 2021 AS DG?

...Like so many other public service media organizations, financing and a sustainable future is a constant theme and continues through this year with the Future of Media Commission established by government to recommend on that very subject later this year. In the meantime we must do what we can to stabilise the organisation financially and structurally. We have a focus on growing and diversifying commercial revenue, stabilising and growing public funding, and saving operating costs. I believe that if we act now, and make the right decisions together, we can stabilise RTÉ financially within two years.

AND FINALLY, HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE RTÉ’s PLACE IN SOCIETY TODAY?

The public in Ireland place huge trust in RTÉ. We believe this trust was vindicated in all that we delivered during the pandemic. It is at the heart of our public purpose to reflect Irish life, and Irish lives. When the nation came together in 2020, RTÉ was there....

Dee-dee pretty much screwed that up

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TagoMago

Have no idea how these things work but will Forbes maintain her position as a director of GAA Go? She's sure to remain well imbursed for the rest of her days, that's for sure.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭avfc1874

That's the get out of jail card, everytime things get asked you don't like, my health is suffering, mention mental health and get a free pass ,

Everyone too scared to question anything when mental health is mentioned,

Tubs next statement, probably mention how his health is suffering, people start saying, maybe we're being too hard on him, ,, job done, nobody is accountable for any thing

Advertisement