Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Experienced" drivers lacking knowledge or rules of the road

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

good question, and i have also wondered is there a reason why, when the lane splits in two on approach, the left lane is painted with an arrow indicating left turn or straight on, while the right lane is only painted with a straight on arrow? surely that should be a right turn arrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,111 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah because they are told the only time to use them is in an emergency or when someone doesn't realise a light is green because they are on their phone.

Ergo the only time you hear them is at traffic lights or when they are cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Very few people use the car horn correctly, its to alert other road users of your presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Probably. Having used it for years I can assure you the most frequent issue though is people in cars and vans wanting to go right towards coldcut road approaching the roundabout in the left lane and wanting to go all the way round it in the left lane as it puts them in the left lane on the exit road for turning left onto the cold cut road. That and people coming from the cold cut road and turning right for Tesco panicking as they try get into the left lane to turn into Tesco as soon as they exit the roundabout so they drive over the bollards. Granted there's not much time to accomplish this when done properly but there's also a roundabout at B&Q you could just drive all the way round and into Tesco that way if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭creedp

I'm glad you didn't bet your house on that assertion. I wonder would it be reasonable from this assertion that it's possible to guarantee that young recently passed drivers never break the Rotr? Personally I think both assertions are equally daft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Would only be like that if there's no right-turn at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Really irritating, owners of premium cars especially seem to think using indicators are beneath them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

There are more than a few Gardaí willing to offer opinions who don't actually know or understand the legislation on which they are opining. I can recall one particular conversation (social setting) where a Garda I know was surprised to learn both that posted speed limits do not apply to cyclists, and that there is no legal blood alcohol limit for cycling. They had just assumed/been under the impression that since both of these applied to MPVs, that they applied to all wheeled vehicles, when the reality is very different.

So I'd not treat what you were told as gospel either.

I drove around this roundabout literally an hour ago, and had a look - I was shocked at how long and deep that groove is. The water has dried up in the weather and its pretty deep. I'd think a regular car would be damaged driving into that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are there regulations stating roundabouts should be designed like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

I imagine an artic trailer would be easily driven in and out of that hole and would explain the depth. This would also explain the obliterated bollards although I do think plenty of light vehicles have played their part there too per .G's post.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's not rocket science -

The RSA state that motorist should think of the roundabout as a clock:

• If taking any exit from the 6 o’clock to the 12 o’clock position, motorists should generally approach in the left-hand lane.
    • If taking any exit between the 12 o’clock to the 6 o’clock positions, motorists should generally approach in the right-hand lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yet it brings us back to: Is there a left and right lane at that roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd imagine there is. I haven't seen a single lane roundabout in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

This rule allows taking either left or right for 12 o'clock. It doesn't specify if it's to including or excluding 12 o'clock. If there are no narrows on the surface, I always prefer taking the left lane for 12 o'clock exit as I think it's safer and easier. If there's anyone on the right lane exiting at the same spot and there only one exit lane, I assume they have no priority over me because they are changing lane from second to first while exiting. However, that's not ideal. I obviously disagree with the OP who has created and additional lane - over one approach lane the OP made additional one. If the approach to the roundabout has 2 lanes and the exit is at 12 has only one lane, there's a problem as we have drivers form two lanes exiting same time at the same spot. They both feel right and may assume having a priority. Also, we have many roundabouts in Dublin with 2 exit lanes when the left one merges due to a the left lane shortly becoming a Bus Lane. So most drivers don't bother using the left lane and merging - they simply take the right lane and exit at 12 to the second lane. Not that it's bad, just saying that there's no consistency. If traffic is backing up at the roundabout approach, narrows on the surface isn't visible as blocked by cars. So any roundabout with the narrows should be complemented by road signs with same guiding narrows. If there are no narrows, then the above rule applies. However, there should always be narrows for roundabouts when there are more lanes at approach than the exit. That's not always the case. Some roundabouts have narrows, but they are too old to clearly be visible. Road sign would definitely be helpful in such cases, not mentioning snow or rain on surface which makes it harder to see these narrows.

Furthermore, I've seen roundabouts with the exit at 12.30-1 o'clock. The right lane should be taken at approach for such exits, but some people aren't that great with geometry and judging in a few seconds. They often assume. No narrows doesn't help and then people make bad decisions taking the left lane.

Inconsistency, lack of signage and bad roundabout provision is a massive problem in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭deravarra

So now we have to ignore indicators?

Is there supposed to be some telepathy happening between drivers that I am not aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you think it's ok to take the right lane for 12 o'clock then you've a lot to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bebra

Deravarra, I think it's sensible not to assume what any driver is going to do. I've seen numerous drivers indicate right on approach to roundabouts even though they are going straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Was the car waiting at the roundabout indicating?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Anyone posting here ever drive through the Roundabout at Kilmartin's N6 Centre Athlone, travelling east out of town towards Moate ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭deravarra

No. But then again, not many do. And it's annoying.

It's another bugbear. Incorrect and lack of indicator usage anywhere - but especially on roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Threads like this confirm my rule #1 for driving anywhere. Which is to always assume every other driver is an idiot.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Have you read all of my post? I clearly stated using the left lane for 12 o'clock and simply expressed my attitude towards those who use the second. I simply expressed my interpretation of the wording of the rule. Your reaction isn't very adequate, I'd say. I see no issue other drivers using the second lane as the rules aren't clearly worded on this (is it that the second lane is between 12 o'clock and onwards including 12 o'clock itself?) and the Internet is full of pictures with such schemes showing that it's allowed to use the second lane for going straight. They might be not for Ireland. But even Donegal news FB is sharing such a picture stating it's approved by Donegal Gardai. Personally to me English is not the first language and I've simply exchanged my EU licence to the IE without any exam. Meaning there are lots of drivers who have IE licence, but might be driving based on their EU ROR. Many EU rules ban indicating on approach to the roundabout and don't allow to exit a roundabout from the second lane - a change to the first lane before the exit is required if not stated differently by signs at the particular roundabout. No reason to get upset or angry for each of those who use a wrong lane as we see them every single day, at least in Dublin. So before reacting in such manner I'd advise you to chill out first and think what is that you've got to learn today 😉 We need to firstly understand the context that the Irish government doesn't even give a simple leaflet with roundabout pictures, nor require to pass at least a simplified theory drivers test on exchange of the EU licence to the IE. So you can get frustrated as much as you'd like to those drivers who may not even realise that they are in wrong.

Now, can you be useful and give me a link to the official RSA picture where it shows that a driver who approached a roundabout at the second lane can't use the second exit at 12 o'clock? And can you explain why the AA stating that either, left and right lane can go straight at 12? This conflicts with what you say.

"Going straight ahead (exiting at 12), you can use either lane – generally keep left, but if there is a long queue turning left, then you can take the right lane. If your exit is after 12 o’clock (ie. any exit to the right), then approach the roundabout in the right lane."

Not difficult to find some pictures from the UK stating that the second lane is either for 12 o'clock exit or anything after while the left lane can also use the 12 o'clock exit. I struggle to find a trustworthy Irish source, only the AA so far.

Post edited by Citrus_8 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The other car was taking the 2nd exit, following the road ahead, so correct indicator use on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You created your own lane out of nowhere but a Garda said you were correct........mmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭standardg60

Apologies if you were using that blog to get your information being new here, it's completely wrong and is liable to create collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

You could just as easily assume that "idiot" is on the way to a dying relative or has distressed children on board, and drive defensively, which is a reasonably consistent rule of the road.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

As a newly licensed driver, I'm experiencing the opposite! I always indicate but the amount of drivers without N or L plates who don't indicate ,or indicate incorrectly, is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Agree with this for 2 lane entrance, but I would adjust one word and one clarification in the description (I think it s probable there)

"If taking any exit AFTER The 12 o'clock to the 6 o'clock position....Right Hand Lane

Adding

....Unless the lanes are marked otherwise

But I always wonder one question when following this rule above.

Should you follow the actual roundabout as built or the markings on the sign approaching a roundabout, because sometimes the 12 o'clock exit does not always match the sign??

I guess you follow the sign, as some time of large roundabouts you cannot see where exactly the exit is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

12 O'Clock is included. It's left lane for up to 12 o'clock and includes going straight when it is 12 o'clock. Right lane if "going straight" is after 12 o'clock.

Advertisement