Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christy Dignam RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

What a performer/voice,RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Mustn’t be a decent sized town in Ireland he hadn’t played in. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 38,051 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

RIP

What a frontman and voice, 'Crazy World' and 'This Is' are classics

Pic from the last time I saw Aslan in 2018. Every show was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Great performer and a really huge "what if" regarding Christy and his own demons.

Feel no shame, is IMO one of the greatest debut albums of Irish act. It's a loss long expected, but no less shocking.

Thoughts are with his family and friends. He'll live on in music a long while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP Christy.

One of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

RIP Christy

A legend, and a fantastic front man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Had the pleasure to see him live on a few occasions, unique talent and few matched him for stage presence.

One of the gigs I attended Christy walked down off the stage at the end and tried to shake hands with everyone and thanked us all for coming, the type of chap he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭PGE1970

He played a kunchtime gig with Conor Goff during rag week in Dundalk RTC in 1992. He had been kicked out of Aslan at that time and was a bit rough, to be honest.

Half way through the gig, the electricity failed. Christy decided that they would finish the gig acoustic but with no mike.

You could hear a pin drop, he was that good. He supplied his own electricity.

Whilst This Is and Please Don't Stop deservedly receive the plaudits, his solo stuff like One Man's Dream was excellent.

RIP, what a legacy to leave behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The only man who could sell out 3 nights in vicar st but you could buy fiver tickets on the door when he played the red windmill in phibsboro.

By all accounts he didn't have a bad bone in his body and had time for everybody, I vaguely remember a story of him missing a CD signing in finglas, so he got the shop manager to collect names and addresses and went to everyones house to sign them. No idea if it's true but I'm still gonna tell it.

Very rare anyone gets a second go at it, but you could argue he had 3 runs, and he had to be in an incredible amount of pain for the last run of shows.

Enjoy your rest Christy, you've earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Very sad. An amazing talent.

Rest In Peace

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Very sad to hear of Christy's passing but given his many health issues over the past 10-15 years, not a big surprise.

Great singer who sang with real passion - I never got to see Aslan live in concert but would have loved to.

Rest well, Christy and thank you for the music. 🙏🕊

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Spent time with him back when they were prepping for the debut album. A wild child or should I say a wilder child than me.

Had oodles of charm and charisma back then too. RIP Christy, you left some great music.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Legend. Have seen Aslan many times over the years. What a voice. Loved their version of nothing rhymes with the RTE orchestra.

I remember hearing This Is, way way back in the day and being blown away by Christy’s voice. Looking there at the nighthawks version definitely takes me back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Goodbye Charlie Moonhead is some tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

RIP, life is not a pretty thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I saw him 20 years ago in a ballroom in the middle of nowhere.

I probably didn't appreciate the band as much as I should have, was brought along with a fan but as a more mature person now I cam see his incredible talent.

Plus his lack of ego and true sense of where he came from has to be admired.

And also battling his demons.

Rest in Peace.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

RIP, This Is is an Irish classic

I didn't know about his childhood trauma until a few years ago, it's a story that always makes me sad to think of, but at the same time a lesson in not to judge anyone by their addictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

RIP Christy.

a great singer/songwriter and performer, but what i admired most about Christy was his honesty. what you saw is what you got, no BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

His gigs were fantastic for sheer entertainment RIP he always seemed like a lovely man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Over the years many bands have been dubbed "The next U2" by Irish radios DJs, but Aslan were the band everyone thought could make it.

That debut album, This Is and Christy's voice were just perfection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

RIP.

His music will outlast all of us here. That's the beauty of timeless music.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Loved 'high',one of his last songs ,had a real poignant nostalgic feel to it given his deteriorating health at the time.Rip Christy.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I can feel this. I worked in a venue Aslan played at a number of years ago before his diagnosis, and I remember enjoying the gig but before that I wouldn't have been overly bothered about them.

So glad I got to see them perform. Since COVID in particular I've made it my mission to see any band/performer that's into their swansong before they go. When I heard Christy was receiving palliative care part of me was devastated but also grateful that I was able to see the best of him even in the years he was ill.

An icon. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Life's a bitch alright but without the grit you'd have no pearls. Christy left plenty behind.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Saw them at a festival in Bandon in 06, my god the energy from him alone was unreal, he would have sang all night if they had let him , RIP Christy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,737 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

RIP Christy, A great frontman and most of us will never get to experience being on stage hearing your fans enjoy the show.

In his own words "Goodnight and God Bless"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭apache

Poor Christy. Went to his gigs as a youngster in Finglas and then in bigger venues when they got more famous. I'd say I've seen them over 30 times. RIP Christy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve said it a few times on boards and other forums but there should have been a major effort last year to give ASLAN fronted by Christy 1 last big night out.

Either the Point or Slane or Croker.

Ppl were sh1te talking about doing something at some stage ... but the end result is it didn’t happen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Very sad news. Christy wrote some amazing songs. Where's the Sun and The Gallery are two of my favourite songs ever.

Advertisement