Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to recognize polyamorous marriage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,163 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A related point is that marriage, the legal institution, isn't the foundation for marriage, the social reality

Here's the key point: why does the "social reality" have to be legal definition? We're merely talking unchallenged tradition here and making a challenge to it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,174 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I've no problem with that; challenge away.

But they way you challenge traditions about marriage is not to demand legal recognition for some hypothetical, abstract, idealised concept that has no existence in the real world; it's to develop and practice a new model of marriage. You need an alternative tradition.

The state can't "recognise" something that doesn't exist. You need to be able to point to to people who are actually living in polyamorous marriages and to a wider community of people who accept and support those marriages and then you can say "look, this exists; you need to recognise it". Until you can say that, there is no case for recognition; there is nothing that needs recognising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Polyamorous marriage is an oxymoron. I have no issue with someone having multiple partners, it's their life and there is nothing to stop them, and more importantly, nothing illegal about it.

If they want a polyamorous relationship, have one. If they feel the need to offer security to their partners should they die/ separate, then write a will/ cohabitation agreement.

You need an alternative tradition.

We already have one - it's exactly what's being proposed.

The State - i.e. the will of the people - can recognise anything it likes and define marriage in any way it wants. The question, therefore is not do we have an alternative tradition (we do - or we wouldn't even be having this conversation), but does it have the will of the people? And THAT is what's up for debate.

Beyond that, it's a catch 22 situation: you're saying "prove it exists in order to make it legal" but in order to do this, you have to make it legal first in order to conduct the experiment.

• Advertisement

That's a bizarre form of argument.

At the time that marriage equality came through, many critics of the legislation used to make comments like, "What's next? Marriage between three or even four people; this is a slippery slope".

The standard response at the time, and a wholly sensible one too, was, "but nobody is asking for that kind of marriage".

And that remains true today. Nobody is asking for it.

Did we have to make marriage equality legal first in order to prove that demand for it existed in the community? No, we didn't. We adjudged that based on the demand from gay couples over many years, in an organized movement, for the state to recognize their marriage.

We don't see a movement of polyamorous marriage advocates. Unless that changes, we have no reason to introduce legislation to address a non-existent problem.

No, marriage is a contract between consenting adults: marriage between a man and a tree is what we're REALLY claiming and was rightly called out as said fallacy. And you know this because you took part in the conversation when it arose, and you made the exact same arguments then as you did now, with the same flaws you have now.

The rhetorical question remains the same: if the will of people decree a,legal change be enacted to a social tradirion known as marriage- as we both know has happened in the past - what is to prevent said will becoming law?

And before you answer that: what stopped the redefinition of marriage BETWEEN CONSENTING ADULTS from becoming law at the request of the will of the people, the last time it was asked?

And you know this because you took part in the conversation when it arose, and you made the exact same arguments then as you did now, with the same flaws you have now.

False. I have never ever opposed marriage equality.

what stopped the redefinition of marriage BETWEEN CONSENTING ADULTS from becoming law at the request of the will of the people, the last time it was asked?

Nothing.

But there was a popular widespread movement that backed up marriage equality. There is no such movement for polyamorous marriage.

The key is in your own words, "at the request of the will of the people".

The state doesn't need to manufacture novel legislation to treat a non-existent problem in society.

Nothing. My point entirely.

As I posted above:

The question, therefore is not do we have an alternative tradition (we do - or we wouldn't even be having this conversation), but does it have the will of the people? And THAT is what's up for debate.

but does it have the will of the people? And THAT is what's up for debate.

Is there polling to suggest that polyamorous marriage is something that the wider electorate wants to see happen?

Is there a popular movement in this direction?

Unless I've missed something, the answer to these two questions is no.

• Advertisement

Honest answer: no idea. I'm as curious about that as you are. But as I said - that's why I'm here.

Not really. You said that there "was a debate to be had".

That's fine, but it assumes there's a wider public debate or movement about this topic which doesn't appear to exist.

Random polling, when you force the question on the public, shows only a 30% approval rate in the US - and that's without even a proper debate on the subject i.e. when people learn of the downsides, it's likely that percentage would shoot down even further.

Now you're arguing against points I never made, so - one again: I laeve you here with the point I DID make proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

But what is a point, can a point be a question.

Is a rock a car? Whos to say? You can put wheels on a rock, and its up to the people to identify it as being of the state of car (or not).

Why should a rock not be a car. And why can a question not be a point.

Etc etc bullshyte. Why shouldnt a fish be able to claim the dole. What actually is a fish. And what is the dole.

Deleted (thought I was being quoted, point irrlelevant)

The state makes itself irrelevant if it defines marriage in a way that's excessively at variance with the way society defines it. That's why the ban on divorce had to go; that's why same sex marriages had to be recognised. Marriages were already breaking down and people were separating and entering into second relationships; same-sex couples were already marrying. And not just the people involved but their families, friends, neighbours and community were accepting and supporting this.

But where are the analogous polyamorous marriages? I'm not talking about polyamorous individuals or open relationships - we know that those exist. I'm looking for something that could meaningfully be called a polyamorous marriage that we could recognise as a marriage, with all the attendant legal and administrative consequences. Point to real-world examples in Ireland, please. And, if you can't point to any, on what basis are you asserting that we already have this tradition?

Not relevant to the point I made.

Polyamorous relations exist, so the next step would be for them to get married.

IF the wanted to and IF the State via the Will of the people allowed it - but those are big IFs.

I've answered this.already.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Okay, but what's the logical conclusion of your position - that any small number of people should have laws created for whatever they want?

Where does that end? It's unworkable in the real world.

Lots of different kinds relationships exist. There's no logical progression from "relationship of any kind" to "marriage of that kind". If people in polyamorous relationships turn those relationships into marital relationships, then it's time to ask whether the state should recognise them and, if not, why not. But you can't "recognise" something that doesn't exist, so I'm asking you (not for the first time) to point to a polyamorous marriage - an actual, real-world polyamorous marriage with actual real-world people in it and actual, real-world people accepting and supporting it - that the state could recognise. If you can't, then there's nothing for the state to recognise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

It depends if you mean an argument against implementing it actively or an argument against the concept per se.

For me personally - as someone actively in one of those relationships - I would say the foundational argument against implementing it is just one of cost/benefit. I feel that any change we make in our society to add new services or structures - or indeed expand the remit of existing services and structures - would be that the scale of effort and expense should track at least somewhat sensibly with the effect and demand. Since there is pretty much no one in such relationships - and those of us that are in them are seeking no such thing - even moderate effort would seem unwarranted. But I suspect the effort is not moderate compared to the change we made for the Marriage Equality Referendum.

Arguments against it in and of itself however I can think of fewer of. I just know that if a referendum or vote were put to the people tomorrow on it I would neither be voting for nor campaigning for such a change. I would be against.

I would assume the state would follow the usual approach of siding with the biological parents first and the non biological ones second? Certainly from my limited knowledge our children from our relationship - should say I die - be legally more relevant to their actual mother than the other. I assume divorce would be similar? I can see why the head would hurt though for sure. Thankfully since no one actually seems to want such a new institutional change - we do not actually have to hammer out the details :)

"shagging around" and "promiscuity" make it sound to me like you are both talking about open relationships or similar. Where partners come and go or in some way change over time. I am not sure that is the same thing we are talking about on this thread though?

What we appear to be talking about in relation to the OP is a non standard number of people (usually 3 but I am sure more is possible) enter into a relationship that contains every bit as much commitment, honesty, fidelity and mutual respect as any average couple can claim to have.

Certainly in our relationship you would be hard pushed to argue successfully that we have any less of those things than any couple you could find in Ireland.

I can not find any way to agree with what you say here at all.

Let's move away for a short moment to an analogy. Most parents are committed to their children. Some parents have 1 child. Some have 4. Some have more. But they can honour their commitment to each of those children - and do. Sure sometimes to use your words individual situations call for "putting one person over the other". As parents that happens to us often.

But long term committments are not undone by individual instances within them. The demonstration of our commitment is through consistency over time.

So too - moving back away from the analogy - is it in a relationship like my own. We are every bit as committed to each other as pretty much any couple you could find us in Ireland to hold us up against.

As I said in a post earlier in the thread I think it is a minor error to think of being in a relationship and being "committed to 1 person". Rather think of it as you are committed to the relationship. Just like the people in my analogy with multiple kids are committed to the family. And yes being committed to any structure of people with more than 2 in it requires occasional compromise. But that does not negate the reality and strength of the commitment in any way.

So while I can think of some arguments for not affording people like myself the structure of marriage - I do not think questioning our ability to commit to it or to each other is even a remotely valid one at all.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,270 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is the point. if there is not a sufficient cohort of people who wish to engage in polyamorous marriage then why would the state enact laws to allow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

In Islam its a normal style of relationship, or is your point different?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yeah, I know, buy you asked "But where are the analogous polyamorous marriages?" - and I answered this earlier by highlighting the catch 22 situation - polyamorous relationships can't get married, that's the whole topic of conversation! Would they even want to?

Beyond that, you need to refdefine your question.

What's Islam idea of a normal style of rleationship ot to do with it?

I'm not in favour of or against this.

That's the question.

Again, I'm not pushing for this - I'm just saying that they could if the will was there. The idea that a contract can only have two parites is the fallacy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was trying to understand P's point which seemed to imply it wasnt a thing. its a thing in some countries and there was a logic to it in pre industrial societies. Not sure there is any pressing "need" for it today so I cant see why a western government would look to recognise it or that there would be any public pressure to do so

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

If there was a will for it there would be a campaign for it as there was with divorce and gay marriage.

• Advertisement

Take it up with who? And why would I want to do that. I'm trying to understand your point and failing miserably.

Advertisement