Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mutti make a whole range of tomato things, not just passata. I think the difference between them and other brands is that they seem to pick their tomatoes when they're riper, so they're way sweeter.

• Hopefully this is the right spot for my question although the plant section was another strong candidate...

I just bought a pot of parsley in the supermarket. Now I've googled how to maintain it for as long as possible, as I usually just bin them after one or two uses, and I can't seem to find definitive advice (a lot of advice about growing from seeds but it's already grown).

It was only a couple of euro but seems a waste to bin it when I could make it last longer.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Treat it like you would treat grass, transplant it into a bigger pot or in full soil, keep it watered and in a bright spot (but not on a windowsill inside in full sun as it would suffer), cut the stalks using scissors and leave a couple of cm at the bottom. It may need some magnesium (epsom salts) if it turns pale. Ar some stage it will bolt, but you can continue snipping off the leaves. You can then remove the seed heads or colkect the seeds and sow them next year. All the same, I have a plant outside that's at least 4 years old..

Post edited by New Home on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Would it be ok to ask for any similar advice for other potted herbs they sell in supermarkets? Basil, coriander, thyme etc? We try to keep them going here at home but have limited success. The thyme seems to be the easiest to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Repot them all and put them outside. Coriander in particular goes wonderfully pungent when it's outside. Basil and coriander are annuals, they won't grow back next year. Mint, thyme and rosemary are perennial and will live for years if you look after them properly. Mint will take over whatever container it's in so keep it on its own. Rosemary prefers to go in the ground once it's reached a certain size, ime.

Slugs will go straight after succulents (basil, coriander) etc so don't put those pots directly on the ground. The more woody, aromatic herbs don't tend to get bothered by pests for the most part.

• Advertisement

Re: basil, I've done this before and yes, I can confirm you'll get more basil than you can eat, provided it doesn't get infested by whiteflies.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=byoEBdVoVpM

Post edited by New Home on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

No such thing as too much basil when you can just make pesto! I used to have huge terracotta tubs full of it. Currently just have mint, thyme and coriander but this weather is making me inclined to add basil to the mix. There's nothing like the smell of it in the garden on a warm day like today.

I don't like pesto. But I have a freezer. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sybil would say it was possible to have too much Basil!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Needed to buy wooden skewers for lamb, the other day. Got some in an Asian shop. Thought they were kinda expensive at €3.50 for a packet but decided to get them anyway. After I'd paid the server pointed out that they were bamboo skewers and wouldn't burn and could even be reused. Honestly, I didn't believe him.

But.... they didn't burn like most wooden skewers burn. They just scorched a bit. (I did soak them). Well worth the premium to get bamboo skewers.

On another note, I'll never understand why so many people insist on putting slices of pepper and onion between pieces of meat on a skewer. They don't cook probably, prevent the meat from charring and add nothing to the skewer other than visually.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looking forward to reading this (might even cook some recipes!)

Aside: Do we have any dedicated threads in the Food forum for cookery books or favoured cookery writers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’m pretty sure there was one. Why not start another one, see how it goes?

Have this one of hers as do a few friends and acquaintances. Can't say I've ever had any complaints about anything I've made from it.

Side note, I'll be down in Cork city this weekend and I know a few of ye are from there. Will have a few hours to kill Saturday morning/afternoon and Sunday morning, so if there are any food markets (or anything else) you'd recommend, I'm all ears. Ichigo Ichie on Friday night and the Frames on Saturday evening. A nice place for lunch wouldn't go amiss.

Take away in the sun From Iyers could be nice.

There's a large food market near The Marquee. Lots of variety there. That'll be open both days.

The new paradiso book is great. Of particular use is the back part which is a recipe reference section for pretty much every sauce, oil, crumble, spice mix, etc, that's used in the restaurant.

It's extremely practical and useful.

I'd second Iyer's too. Vegetarian South Indian food, on Pope's Quay. There's a cafe nearby called Myo. Have a coffee and sit by the river; across the river on Cornmarket Street there will be a farmers' market with some takeaway food offerings there. There are pubs and cafes on that street too. It'll be busy enough in the fine weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

So, seeing as the world and his missus are banging on about peanut rayu, I said I'd give it a go. I bought a tub of it from the Sage restaurant range. My OH tried it with some crusty bread and pronounced that it tasted like burnt garlic, which meant he was out.

I ended up slathering it over corn on the cob. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It does have a smoky, slight burnt taste, which wasn't off-putting to me. I didn't get much of a chilli hit, or a peanut taste for that matter. Think it was about €4, it said to use within a week, which won't happen.

What do the Boardsies foodies use it for? I don't want to waste it. Oh also it uses rapeseed oil, which I'm not a fan of. Is that the typical oil used?

• Advertisement

I like it over a fried egg with rice.

Mrs beer isn't keen on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just use it as a dip or spread on a tortilla wrap to spice up some goujons.

My mam and sister are absolutely addicted to the White Mausu one, they have it on avocado toast and poached eggs pretty much every single morning. I find the peanuts over-roasted in that one. Much prefer the Jaru version but tbh, I kind of just prefer fresh chillies and hot sauce as a topping on most things you'd put rayu on. Depending on the version it can make a nice dip or salad dressing mixed with loosened Greek yoghurt.

You can also mix it into dry-fried pork mince for a kind of cheat's Yuk Sung.

I think the thing I found was that it was very oily, which I know sounds stupid.

So I didn't mind it with the corn, I usually drown them in butter.

I will have to try out a few things and see what works for me. Like I said, I don't want to waste it.

OK then, so I did!

MODS: Feel free to merge this thread with any earlier ones if you see fit.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058300168/cook-books/p1?new=1

I found the White Mausu ones lacking in vinegar/sourness to give it punch; I've yet to try the Sage one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Any tips on mash potato for the top of a pie to be baked, (fish pie), steamed or boiled? Which type? My usual mash has a bit of butter, warm milk, little horseradish if i have it, i use a ricer.

Steamed, riced, then butter & seasoning. I don't think milk adds anything other than wetness.

Given that a fish pie usually has a pretty wet filling, the mash can be quite firm, imo.

You can also rice the potatoes, mix it up with the butter and seasoning, then rice it again, directly onto the pie for a nice crispy effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

never thought to rice it straight onto the top, sounds like it beats a few fork tracks.

would you just rice it all on top? or a layer of plastered mash with a ricer topping? The filling always bubbles up when baked

(i forgot to add grated cheese)

Also, steamed peeled? or skin on?

Advertisement