Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Any tips on where to get replacement solar batteries?

After my recent resurgence in interest in watches I found an old Solar G Shock that just about works after a good charge, but looks like the battery is goosed.

It also seems to have two battery slots, so perhaps a regular battery could be used?

It's an AWG-M100B-1AER

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is a very interesting watch and an even more amazing story behind it. I can only imagine Puyi held on the watch is Siberia in much the same way Christopher Walken's Rolex was kept safe 😉

I think the $3million estimate might be a bit light too. Lots of wealthy Chinese interest in this I'd think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's a lovely looking watch - Mido, Oris, Squale, and Zodiac come to mind in that kinda price range for nice dive watches. They all probably have a GMT model in their line-ups, and do vintage inspired pieces. But maybe hold off and keep an eye out on the pre-owned market, if the Longines is the one you really like.

They can be got for about 2.5K, and spending a bit more on the watch you really like is a better use of money than spending less on a watch you got because it kinda looks like the one you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Does anyone know what the symbols on adverts mean?

One is like an arrow. One is like a sim card.

Thanks Roy

Closing this out in a state of utter bemusement but very happy.

So on sorting the valuations and some other hard to sort out appraisals. I was in touch with 2 brokers and some other companies directly. Had quotes back that approached 4 figures and beyond.

Now throughout this I'd also forwarded all the documents to my current insurer (Zurich) who took it all onboard, upped my cover and added the watches and some other pieces to all risks cover and? The renewal price stayed the exact same 😳

I've checked and double checked the sums insured and cover active, then I thanked their customer service and paid for the renewal 😁

One thing I did notice with the online quote forms for all the brokers and insurers? Is that once the contents cover went over 75k the online system wouldn't quote.

Hope this info is helpful to some others who may have long fingered getting appropriate cover.

On an unrelated note. We are away for dinner and an overnight to the Mustard Seed in Ballingarry tonight. Have eaten there previously and it is IMO one of the best restaurants in the county if not the country 😉

Anyway the Mrs said I'd best pick a nice watch for dinner...

So Blancpain it is 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Glad you have the treasures covered. Enjoy the Mustard Seed B but echoes of slugman telling folks your watch collection is unguarded lol. Hopefully we don't get a bazillion vids about kickstarting your collection off the back of donations by the gormless slugeens.

Tis far from unguarded 😉 I do take your point though.

If I had the brass neck to kickstart a "rebuilding" project for the collection I'd already have staged a burglary 🤣

You have got to hand it to certain Bloggers, shameless and making money at it.

Good news indeed.

I had sort of a similar experience actually, spurred on by your post and a few recent purchases I went to sort out insurance. Online quotes and new companies were crazy prices, called my current insurer (Axa) and added the few bits and pieces for zero charge all risks covered, happy days.

Lol at staging the burglary 100%!

The only thing worse than him are his enablers. I might add I was not comparing you to him! Pics of the Blancpain with asparagus starter in the background later plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,483 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That encircle app sounds excellent! I'll try giving that a go. Be nice to even just have everything catalogued together.

I have contents insurance myself for an extremely vague estimated amount as part of my home insurance but similar to you I'd say I'm really undervalued by quite a bit.

I actually had a really difficult decision to make the year before last about my Akira animation cel collection. It had grown so much in value over the last few years (I have absolutely no idea why!) that I was either going to have to get the collection insured for potentially hundreds of thousands of euro (which would have been obscene) or start selling it off. Also there was the added worry about having the collection in the house. You can easily pick up artwork in folders and just wander off with them.

Went for the later and decided to start selling them via Heritage Auctions. Did really really well so I've sent another big lot over now for another one of their auctions in September. Its actually been quite a relief to get them out of the house!

It's incredibly bitter sweet though, absolutely loved building that collection and I'd actually become a bit of a contact online for folks looking for info on cels from the film in general - have had animators from the likes of Dreamworks and Pixar getting in touch over the years. Lots of bands asking for scans for album covers. Animation lecturers all over the world asking for information on bits and pieces. Really been amazing.

Similar thing happened to my videogame collection but luckily not to nearly the same extent as the cels so I can still enjoy them to a degree without thinking my house is going to be cased by someone 😂

• Advertisement

Were huge fans of the movie, I oft rock my "they're e just like candy" t shirt:)

Post edited by H_Lime on

That you might even have been trying to honestly never crossed my mind.

You'll have to settle for the asparagus with my main tho 😉

Master of the Universe

That's such a great panel from the Manga. Otomo sure can draw like nobody else, his draftsmanship is incredible, especially those big city streetscapes. Nothing else like it.

Here, have another bizarre hobby combination photo back, blurry watches and Japanese animation artwork 😁 (I suppose there's a tenuous 'Speed' link between both!)

I've always wondered who (bar perhaps folks with trumps predilection) figured out what asparagus does to your wee lol.

Enjoy the night, hope you and the lady are celebrating something good.

Watched a docu about the artwork, production and movie lately there. Must try to find it but I'm guessing you would have seen it.

Very cool hobby you have, love to see more pics of cells (with blurry watch for relevance lol!)

Had the pleasure of introducing the kids to the movie (bar a few scenes) now they're old enough. Interestingly it's more relevant now than ever on a number of fronts not least of which being the potential threat of AI.

Master of the Universe

Oh if you think of it do let me know! always interested in good documentaries about it, they're fairly few and far between.

Yeah it was a great hobby, but with emphasis on 'was'. 😥 I can't afford to buy them anymore so I am outta the game unfortunately! Do have loads of scans up on akira.ie if you fancy a look (have been using it as a bit of a platform to at least save my collection digitally as they're all sold)

Delighted to hear you had your kids watch it. I remember the first time I saw it back in 1992 on Channel 4, was only about 8 or 9 at the time. Made my brain melt out my ears 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ian OB

Thought for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Hello,

Wondering what’s peoples thoughts on the Tissot brand, are they considered a good Swiss watch? I’m considering purchasing the Seastar 1000 automatic.

I have a Prs 200 quartz, think it’s a 2010 model and I quite like it.

is there better Swiss watches for the same money or maybe around the 1-1.5k mark? Quite like the look of dive watches. Would love a Tudor but out of my price range!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Hope you enjoyed the Mustard Seed; stayed/ate there ages ago, not long after it moved from Adare. My memories - it was nice, a black tiled bathroom and good food.

There is an interesting article in this weekend's FT on dive watches https://www.ft.com/content/1e4cd548-4b06-4f3b-9e0a-048c9bad1e56

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's a nice looking watch. Oris and Longines are also worth a look in the 1-1.5K price range, especially pre-owned.

• Advertisement

Yea i really like the look of it.

I must go try it on to make sure it looks nice on the wrist.

I have never looked at Oris so will have a look at them. Thank you :)

Folks a question for the hive mind here?

What would you expect to pay for a Blancpain Leman bracelet in a private sale?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just to add to the insurance comments above. Building costs have soared so a lot of houses are under insured by about 50% so if you make a claim your insurance company is going to take advantage of this.

Secondly what happens if your list of valuables/exceptional items falls into the wrong hands? I believe this did happen about 15-20 years ago. I think just up your house insurance as high as possible, then contents I think can be 10% of the house value without your valuables being on a list somewhere. Now I know this isn’t going to suit some of us here with a valuable watch collection, really what I am trying to say is a lot of us could be under insured.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭emo72

I have a double tape VHS of Akira from back in the 80s. Am I rich 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

An article in the Business Post about Irish watch makers.

https://www.businesspost.ie/irish-tatler/robbie-henshaws-favourite-watch-plus-the-other-irish-artisan-watch-makers-you-need-to-know/

That link wont work for me. But it made me google Irish Watch Makers. Came across this beauty. Anyone here ever purchased one of these watches?

I'm not overly gone on the bracelet but the watch itself looks good i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

Those pics look like renders to me. I'd be very careful and wouldn't go near them unless I saw a real one. Date window is also weirdly small and looks a bit crap imo

Their instagram looks like it has a couple of pics of them in the flesh but in general their watches all look like dropshipped chinese stuff, generic panerai and bubbbleback homages. You can probably find something much better on aliexpress for much less money

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

1,000 Metres = 3,280.8 Feet ...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Was finally able to get a moonswatch at retail in Madrid swatch store. They had all variety’s in stock. But it seems there’s no limit how many you can buy. Lad in front of me walked out with 6 of them!

• Advertisement

Which one did you go for?

I was in London a few weeks ago and they had a few in stock, but not the full range.

Advertisement