Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

So whats the story here. Was it found that Rapp made it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,306 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd guess it's more just that it's very hard to prove the level of misconduct when it's just 2 people's words. Haven't heard any word at all of any counter-suit for defamation, which is what you'd get if there was any evidence that Rapp was actively found to be lying. Neither side would appear to be in a position to prove anything either way (though Spacey never denied that 'something' happened, given that he used it as his coming out story).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Without the details of the trial, it's impossible to know exactly what was discussed. But I would reckon that Rapp was probably grossly exaggerating the level of "damage" that this incident was supposed to have had on him and it ultimately played against his case. As you say, Spacey admitted that "something" may have happened, even if he claimed to have had no knowledge of the event. But he also backed off when it was clear that Rapp wasn't up for whatever was going on. So I spose it comes down to an inability to prosecute based on the fact that nothing really happened or that it was impossible to determine what happened? On the face of it it appears that all that went on was that Spacey possibly made a drunken advance, Rapp got uncomfortable, and Spacey thought the better of it. Where, exactly, is the crime here, and how does a jury find liability?

Of course, Rapp's age at the time is definitely an issue. But as far as I know, Spacey was unaware, or at least says he was unaware, of that. And if he was, then proving that he was would be extremely difficult 30+ years after the alleged incident.

Now that doesn't mean that Spacey's conduct with others isn't in question either and he's up for a trial in England next year too, which he's voluntarily agreed to. But the jury reached their decision after just an hour of deliberation, which suggests that Rapp's case was extremely flimsy, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I was involved in an accusation as a witness years ago. The accused suffered damage to this day but the accuser is walking around without a care in the world. Not punished at all. And what I witnessed I am 100% sure the accusation was made up.

I simply cannot stress enough how important innocent until proven guilty really is after that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,715 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Warren Beatty Sued for Allegedly Coercing Sex With a Minor in 1973

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭santana75

I was waiting for this one. I'd read the biography of WB (Superstar I think it was called)and there were a couple of stories that seemed very dodgy. One in particular of a mother complaining about Beatty coming onto her 15 year old daughter. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Nicholson was next

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

There's countless stories of Beatty being a pest at best, an absolute nightmare at worst.

Him being friends with Dustin Hoffman, who's had his own allegations, doesn't look so good now.

I think Geena Davis said Dustin Hoffman saved her from Jack Nicholson ( she has biography out ) or something like that

Bill Murray was a pest, with Nicholson, Hoffman gave her a 'line' to use. He wasn't predatory, but he was trying to ask her out. Hoffman gave her a line like 'I'd love to go out, but the chemistry we have on scene would be ruined if we were in a relationship' or something to that effect.

Bill Murray was a jerk to her, by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,474 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kevin Spacey to be charged with 7 new charges in the UK.

Kevin Spacey to be charged with seven more sexual offences

CPS authorises new charges against 63-year-old actor, of offences against one man

Kevin Spacey will be charged with seven additional sexual offences against one man, prosecutors have said.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it had authorised the new charges against the 63-year-old actor, including three of indecent assault, three of sexual assault and one count of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent.

Spacey appeared at the Old Bailey in July to deny five allegations relating to three men, now in their 30s and 40s.

Rosemary Ainslie, the head of the CPS special crime division, said: “The CPS has authorised additional criminal charges against Kevin Spacey, 63, for a number of sexual assaults against one man between 2001 and 2004.

“The CPS has also authorised one charge of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent. The authority to charge follows a review of the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan police in its investigation.

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Mr Spacey are active and that he has the right to a fair trial.”

Danny Masterson Sexual Assault Trial Declared a Mistrial After Jury Is Unable to Reach a Verdict

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Boomer Groomer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'd imagine he'll be recast or killed off screen, especially given the show focuses on a teenage girl. The article doesn't mention how old the victim is now but if she still has proof of the messages then he should face jail time too.

Not quite directly related to Weinstein, buy very much a side-effect of the the whole 'believe women' narrative.

The story of Elizabeth Finch is disturbing as all hell. Everything from faking cancer, faking getting chemo, faking an abortion, faking losing a kidney, faking a brother's suicide, faking being a sexual abuse survivor... it goes on and on.

Finch got hired to be a writer at Grey's Anatomy, with her supposed life-events being woven into stories, written by her (with additional input by unnamed writers, because she often missed deadlines).

Very interesting article by Vanity Fair, with a podcast of the article at the top of the article, that is genuinely jaw-dropping. I've known folks who got Chrondosarcoma... they didn't survive it. So her lies are actually infuriating.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/greys-anatomy-elisabeth-finch-truth-lies

Harvey Weinstein Convicted on Three Charges of Rape and Sexual Assault

The jury in the Harvey Weinstein L.A. trial convicted him on three charges, but hung on three others and acquitted him of a seventh count.

Variety

Dances with Wolves actor charged with sexually assaulting young girls, leading a cult, and sex trafficking, among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Bill Gale who was body actor for Howard The Duck and Chucky in Childs Play caught in a sting by a US version of those paedo hunter groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,474 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Danny Masterson found guilty on two counts of rape at his retrial. He was taken in straight into custody as he was deemed a flight risk

He is now facing 30 years in prison.

Armine Hammer won’t face sexual assault charges in LA after a two year investigation. The DA say sexual assault cases are often to hard to prove.

Wonder if they will pull all DVD/ Blu Ray boxsets of That 70s Show from sale, like they did with the Cosby Show when Bill Cosby was accused?

You can still get the complete series (70s Show) on amazon or ebay.

There's always the British remake Days Like These. Well maybe not as it was absolute balls.

Freely available on youtube-because nobody want's to touch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Cosby Show was inextricably linked to Bill Cosby, not just in name but the entire show was built around and centered on him.

Danny Masterson was just an actor in That 70's Show. Part of the main cast and the role he's best known for, but he's still a small part of the whole. They even did a first season of That 90's Show which had appearances by the rest of the cast and some side characters from That 70's Show, and Hyde wasn't mentioned once if I remember right. I'd say it's unlikely they pull the boxsets from sale or anything.

Indeed. And you can still get 7th Heaven on DVD, despite the Dad's history of touching young girls. It's kind of messed up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Wes Anderson supports Bill Murray and provides an explanation as to the circumstances surrounding his departure from Asteroid City.

Weird. Didnt she tour Ireland as that Miranda Sings character? Sure I remember seeing her advertised for the Cork Opera House about eight or nine years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I only heard about the story after her "apology" video made waves. That in itself was hugely ill-advised, where she basically acts the singing, ukulele-playing victim instead of addressing the accusations against her.

The accusations themselves are serious, and there's plenty of evidence to show how inappropriate her behaviour was with young fans. It's all very bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When I read about these influencers' troubles and controversies I realise there's a whole media ecosystem I'm barely aware of. God it sucks getting old sometimes.

Advertisement