Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

We also have kids and pets. The only time we have issues with clippings is if we leave the grass too long before setting the mower out (like maybe it got stuck somewhere a few days ago and we never freed it or it was raining solidly), in normal operation it's definitely not an issue. If the grass is wet you might get something, but not substantial at all. The grass is cut so often the pieces are pretty small.

Cheers! I would actually like to review more of them, especially the gps based ones, but it's not really something I can fund myself so unless companies send me one. Since that video I did buy two cheap yardforce mowers (I think I paid less than €300 for each of them), one for my mam and one for our front lawn. They are very basic (no connectivity/app of any kind) but they do mow well, which gives me hope for basically all brands of them!

I think if I was in the market for a 500m2 one right now I would try the lidl one that is coming in just over a week for €200. Unclear if it will require an additional battery (it seems like it might, but it isn't called out on the website, which they usually do with drills etc). I was half toying with the idea of picking one up to review, but it will be sold out long before I even get a chance to try it out, never mind make a video on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭supue

Thanks for that - looking at getting the Husq 450X Nera as I've about 4.5K square metres between front and back. They did a site survey for the EPOS, but between mature trees and lack of access to power in preferred locations, I'd need to get two units for front and back gardens which was pushing the price up considerably. Seemingly the EPOS needs good line of south from a north-south aspect in the garden for satellites, so looking at a wired solution first and can see how I get on then after. Hope to be up and running in the next 2-3 weeks and will report back then after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Where's the go to place for buying husqvarna these days? I gather myrobotcenter are a dead loss these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dazed2020

Any Worx Landroid owners here driven mad by the latest firmware update/updates in general?

I got mine last summer and felt it worked really well. Took it out in spring and felt it was having issues (creating ruts, getting stuck & driving outside the wire) - all in places which it never encountered issues last year. I hadn't paid any attention to firmware..

Earlier this week I upgraded to version 3.30 and, my God, what a shtshow. It now can't find my 4th zone, it takes twice as long to charge and mows for a shorter time (1hr cutting and 2 HR charge, was the other way around last year) and it's going so far beyond the boundary wire it's incredible

Post edited by Dazed2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭antomack

May be of interest to some with a smaller garden as rated for 400sq m only, just ordered one for my sister who has a suitable sized garden.

Price as listed is not great but if you are a first time customer you can apply a 30% discount using FIRSTORDER (€368) or as an existing customer a 20% discount using SUMMER20 (€420) which makes it more palatable.

Only thing I'm not sure on is whether it includes the battery, listing mentions no battery or charger but the docking station is the charger so it may include the usual 2ah battery. I've included a link to a 4ah battery and charger (€46 or €52) if you want to ensure you have a battery or you want a higher capacity one, it's also available from screwfix for €50.

https://www.very.ie/einhell-power-x-change-18v-40ah-battery-amp-charger-kit/1600584961.prd?crossSellType=item_page.recs_2

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/einhell-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-power-x-change-battery-starter-kit/698tj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi folks,

a troubleshooting post, hope someone can help.

I have a husq 430x 6 months that cuts 3 lawns, 400m2 each. They are linked via guide wires. At first it was cutting all 3 fairly consistently, but the last few weeks it tends to cut the closest lawn to the docking station mostly, and the furthest gets little or no attention.

I changed the blades last night and also reduced the cutting time to see if that makes any difference.

anything else that I could be doing or looking out for? Does it need to be reset and remapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Does it need to use the guide wires to get to the other 2 lawns? If yes, have you checked that the guide wires are working properly?

Do you seen it trying to get to that 3rd lawn? Does it fail as its trying to get there and turn around and just cut lawn 1 instead?

Have you got the GPS map enabled? Might be worth resetting that map (its an option in the menu).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thanks for the reply.

today I arrived home and it had been cutting the 3rd lawn. Maybe it helped that I switched the unit off as I was changing the blades, or maybe the blade change itself helped.

it must mean that the guide wires aren’t faulty then. From time to time it will make its way into the guide wire corridor but it thinks it’s still cutting.

m I will keep an eye on this, but hopefully it’s back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Can you reinstall the older version I wonder? Mine hasn't updated, still on v3.28 from Aug 22, didn't realise there were pending upgrades. Won't be upgrading based on what you have just mentioned! It had started creating ruts & getting stuck up until end of April, but I thought that was due to wet weather & placement of the boundary wire. Since the ground has dried up I haven't had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dazed2020

Been reading on other forums (Reddit and a German one), saw others have the same issues. So e-mailed worx who acknowledged and said they're working on a fix. They also gave instructions of how to reinstall 3.28.

https://wiki.worx.com/en/how-can-i-upgrade-firmware-landroid-m-l-2019/2020-lcd

3.30 seems an improvement in many aspects and the problems seem to be more for the minority. So might be worth updating, and have the option to downgrade if you do have issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 roundone

Hi I've just been quoted €5200 for a Husqvarna 450x with installation for a 2150 garden. Is this reasonable? Do I need this size Husqvarna? Any cheaper alternatives? Any thoughts? I'm completely new to this so any opinions welcome/help appreciated! The garden is fairly straightforward, one big rectangle with a narrower bit at the side with trees. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Mr Q

A 430X would be plenty big for your garden. Should come in at least €1200 less.

It's still a lot of money. Someone else might have a less expensive option that they are using for that size of a garden.

Thank you. The seller recommends going for a higher spec so it's not going 24/7 or overworked at full capacity. I don't know if this is a good idea or if he just wants to sell the more expensive model!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Mr Q

That makes sense in a way and they do it for a living.

But the 430X is rated for 3200m2 so should be very capable for your needs.

Did the €5200 give the breakdown of the fitting and mower prices.

Good idea. I'll ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭antomack

Any thoughts on the robot mower in Lidl next week for €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

3 year warranty. Presumably has the same X-team battery as their other cordless tools. Definitely worth a shot for a month and return it if it's completely useless.

If I was in the market for a mower to do less than 500m2 I would definitely give it a try.

I think it will sell out pretty quickly so I would be waiting for Lidl to open if you want to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

That 45min runtime would concern me on a 500m2 garden. It would spend more time going to and from the charging station than cutting?

Perfectly fine for a semi-D back garden i would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭padair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Ginger83

These things are great and cheap until something goes wrong and then you find you can't get parts or anyone interested in fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

If indeed it does use the removable X-Team battery you can get 4ah batteries in Lidl to bump up the runtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

My installer gave me the same recommendation and I went for the 450x, mainly because I had a complicated setup and needed the extra guide wire, but it also runs faster because of its sonic sensors and stays out longer because of its larger battery. When I bought I do not remember the price difference being so great, but that was back in 2019.

It would probably have to be out a lot to cover 500m, but I'd say it could do it. You could always buy it and return it if it's not cutting your garden (although lifting the boundary wire would be a pain!)

What alternative do you suggest?

The cheapest worx on heavins.ie is 300m model for €400, so you could buy two lidl ones to have one spare for that price.

It also has a 3 year guarantee, I got a shredder replaced by lidl recently under guarantee, it was relatively painless

My worx is over 3 years old and I would not be confident in finding anyone to fix it either. Spare parts will probably be easier to come by though in fairness

I know someone who had a problem with a lidl chainsaw. Nobody could get parts but luckily they got a refund under guarantee as a replacement wasn't available.

I purchased a Parkside strimmer/hedgecutter. It's done about five hours work and now won't start. Local shops have no interest because they didn't sell it and I've no receipt to return it.

I'm not experienced enough to recommend one but I've learned buy cheap shite and buy twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think the lesson there is potentially "keep the receipt". If you still had the receipt you could have returned it. Take a picture of the receipt or have a receipts folder in your house somewhere where you stick these things on.

That wouldn't fix the problem unfortunately. The lesson is to buy a reputable product from a reputable supplier capable of servicing and repairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Raoul

Well you would have got your money back at least.

I do agree with you somewhat. Sometimes it is better to buy from a reputable supplier than Lidl/Aldi. Oftentimes you can get a piece of equipment just slightly more expensive made by a better brand.

The lawnmower might be worth the risk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

On a similar note, I have a macalister branded robot mower I bought cheap in b&q about 3 seasons ago. Basic, cost me about 350 euro, figured it would do my smaller lawn, and it performs every bit as good as my 3k robomow that gave up the ghost this season after about 5 years!

The macalister is cheap as chips, no fancy gimmicks and rated up to 250sq m, and looks not at all unlike the lidl one.

Considering buying 1 of the lidl ones as a spare when the macalister eventually breaks down, but happy with it for the last 3 seasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Anyone seen any of.the lidl mowers in sale yet, not in our local lidl yet it seems!

Advertisement