Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal IPTV providers jailed.

Options
  • 31-05-2023 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting story from the UK.

A gang of IPTV providers have been jailed from anything from 3 to 11 years for providing illegal IPTV service, mainly EPL games for £10 per month.

Even though cracking down on illegal IPTV is "whack a mole" it's still not a bad outcome for the rights holders.

And God only knows where the personal details of the subscribers ended up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The elephant in the room is the non provision of legal means to watch the 3pm kick off games on Saturday's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yep

And that can only be addressed by the UK parliament.

Any removal of the 3pm blackout would meet strong opposition from smaller clubs and the match day businesses that are involved with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

This story is getting a lot of attention this morning considering these providers were a drop in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Glad to see the real criminals are being caught and jailed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To be clear, the U.K. Parliament has nothing to do with the 3pm ban. It is a UEFA rule (Article 48) and can be invoked by any member association, only England and Scotland currently do so.

In rhe end it will be resolved, not by politicians, not even by the FA or UEFA, but by the Premier League; they will eventually move all games out of the 3pm slot. It’s the only solution that preserves the blackout for the lower leagues while allowing the maximum amount of PL games on TV. It’s been happening slowly over the past thirty years - perhaps slowed a bit by the Covid-caused rollover without change of the 2019-22 deals - and I fully expect that from 2025 on we’ll be down to maybe three matches of the ten each week remaining in the 3pm slot. I know that’s three matches too much for some people, but 3pm has been a huge tradition in England and they’re very slow to change it. The EFL will also be moving more matches out of 3pm in the next deal, by the way with five Championship games set to be televised each week in the next deal.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The fleecing by the PL, Sky BT etc isnt helping matters really. Until they start going after people using the service rather than selling it they are at nothing. 70 quid a year instead of 120 a month is a no brainer even for the most law abiding people.

Ok, thanks for that.

I always thought that it was a act of parliament that governed the 3pm blackout.

What you have said is correct, the next tv deals will move more games away from 3pm.

Which will cause a lot of angst amoung soccer fans.

Many are wedded to tradition and bemoan the fact that 3pm on a Saturday is no longer a thing, while at the same time they want to see their club on TV as much as possible.

I think there are two factors bringing it the attention.

The severity of the sentence, 11 years is a fair stretch.

And the fact that this was a "private prosecution" by the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

This is the real reason...

The music model has shown ( Spotify, Apple Music, etc ) make your service at a reasonable cost that most can afford and pirating will be reduced greatly.

I was paying €140 a month for Sky+ HD with all sports last year when my offers went - madness when you can't even see all the games.

This is just an attempt to make a stand against a massive battle that authorities won't win in my eyes anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

There is no legal mechanism to "go after" users though as they are simply streaming a service

There is too much greed in football though. The presenters on sky, the players and the managers are all on mental money all back boned by the TV deals. I fully agree that the model has to change but it's hard to see how they sell it cheaper given the money being made.

If I want to watch Liverpool v ManUtd in the PL and want to purchase that game only the most I'd be willing to pay is 5 euro. They will never sell it that cheap though.

I'm happy enough to use alternative means to stream. Ironically I think it's morally more acceptable than what legitimate providers are charging. They are the ones who are morally bankrupt at this stage.

Those wishing to justify illegal activities should bear in mind a few things.

Firstly, you can argue all you like about morality, but they are illegal, and morals will not save you in a court of law, as these successful prosecutions have shown.

Secondly, the continued existence of these “alternative means” is completely dependant on there being enough paying subscribers to keep the TV broadcasters, who are providing the pictures and sound that those “alternative means” are pirating, in business. Who in turn are paying more in order to finance the loss of income. So you, in case you think you are some kind of Robin Hood, robbing from the rich to give to the poor, you are robbing from paying subscribers too. But hey, as long as I’m alright Jack, who cares about those suckers. The fools, the fools!. Right????

The private prosecution thing is a red herring. At common law the private prosecution was the only means of prosecution. Directors of Public Prosecutions are in the great scheme of things a relatively modern invention. In Ireland you can still take a private prosecution in the District Court for a summary offence (the DPP can effectively block, and does so, private prosecutions for indictable offences by refusing to give directions when the case comes to that stage. That’s a by the by). The system in England may be different in that respect.

One thing doesn't make sense though.

The people who stream illegally aren't likely to pay for a subscription though a legitimate source anyway as they won't be able to afford it. I'd like to see what Sky and BT claim are the losses they are suffering in this regard.

I agree with most of what you said btw. I just don't care though. It would be different if Sky or BT were offering the service at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

Of course if the service was available at a reasonable price people would pay it but as long as Sky BT and the rest continue to rip people off people will seek alternative methods to view the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

No ones going to court anytime soon unless they’re supplying the service, €100 a year for every channel, anyone stupid enough to prop up sky paying that a month can go right ahead, if they refused it wouldn’t be so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Have to laugh at some people on here making a moral argument for not paying SKY and BT but then happily paying a reduced fee to organised criminal gangs! Very likely these gangs are also involved in drug smuggling, prostitution, and people smuggling. Unless the illegal streamers are above all that and have a higher calling?

They probably aren't you know. But sell that narrative all you want.

It's a bit nieve to think that organized crime is not involved in illegal streaming in some shape or form.

Where illegal activity is happening and making money organized crime is never far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Any stats or evidence to back this up or is it something you just invented in your head?

The reason why the music platforms are "reasonably priced" is because they are high volume and low cost.

And the reason they are low cost is because they are fleecing artists.

You can't compare it to live sports.

Sport is the only entertainment genere that continues to be most attractive when it's live.

Everything else has become "on demand" but sport would not be the same if it was not live.

And the EPL has become so strong and so attractive because of the money invested in it.

Media companies can't "low ball" the EPL like the music platforms do to artists.

If they did all the good players, investment etc would go somewhere else, and then the media companies product would be worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

And because of the greed shown by PL clubs and players I and many others will continue to stream using alternative providers. I can guarantee you the Erling Halaand doesn't lose sleep at night knowing that only the well of can afford to watch him.

On another note do we know what interpol's views are on the the PL being propped up by Middle Eastern states? The same states who have committed countless human rights violations and still do to this day.

The hypocrisy is jaw dropping. PL clubs, Broadcasters and players have some neck to complain about these alternative illegal services but have zero issues getting into bed with the Saudis, Qataris or UAE who persecute certain sections or society.

Until the PL ban these deplorable states from owning PL clubs and forgo the BILLIONS which they get from them I'll quite happily stream matches using my 70 quid a year service.

Well you are doing the right thing if you want the cost of watching the EPL to come down.

The fewer subscriptions the TV companies get, the less they will be able to pay for the rights, so the cost of the package to the man on the street will come down.

But of course at the same time the quality of the product on offer will come down as the money and players will flow somewhere else, and you'll probably have less games broadcast.

But still, you won.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

MOD: Post deleted due to nature of allegations contained against named persons.

Post edited by icdg on

A real brain dead, gobshyte man down in the pub, stupid piece of analysis there.

Well done.

How on earth could Sky be criminals for buying the rights to sports and then selling them on their platform?

And how could they be monopolies if BT also offer coverage ?

Oh and while we are here, Rupert Murdoch sold Sky in 2018.

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Mod: deleted, repeated same allegations against named person.

Post edited by icdg on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,429 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A couple of things, there's been more headline stories of this nature the past few months (in my opinion) as well as some stories about "AI catching pirate providers" so there's definetly a drive by the rights holders to highlight the seriousness of this particular crime and the stamp down they are making. They are trying to project the fact that time is running out on these providers.

Hard to know - the reality is the providers that are based outside of the UK/Ireland/EU will be very difficult to shut down without some significant assistance from ISP's and local governments etc.

Nowadays the average Joe on the street is using IPTV (from what I have heard) and thats a significant loss to the rights holders and it is a loss - there are a large number of people who have ditched traditional TV for this particularily in the past couple of years so there is significant loss to rights holders.

Now, whether your moral compass is flexible enough to pay unknown people to steal content is neither here nor there - many people will just do it if it's significantly cheaper.

It's not just Sky, the PL losing out here, any legiitimate provide of video or live content is losing out.

The changes made a few years ago to the PL rights issueance to allow for more "Competition" have done the opposite to what they were intended to do. The ideas was to reduce costs on the individual but they have ended up significantly increasing costs.

The business model isn't sustainable - and neither is the spending in the PL. Something will go bang.

Advertisement