Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV's. More convenient than ICE cars?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Major mileage there, in an EV or ice?

I am sorry, I don't know your position on the convenience question, but considering your mileage, it would be worth knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

So you do just about 27500 km annually on long trips alone? What's your total yearly mileage?

I selected half way points and assumed that the over 1000 km trips are just 1000 km each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

They pull out the "I'd have had to stop anyway" BS. Nobody has to stop.

I came out of Dublin airport one night, weather was due to get bad so we burned road with 2 kids sleeping in the back. None of this "we would have to stop at McDonalds / toilets anyway" bs.

When you are under pressure to catch a plane, ferry, or appointment nobody wants to stop mid trip. I guarantee no ICE driver missed one of these examples because "we had to stop for a McDonalds"

It's like the ones going around saying PHEV are the worst of both worlds when clearly they are not.

All the benefits of EV and none of the public charging malarky on road trips.

Now I'm sure the tech. will move on quite quickly so that the benefit keeps swinging towards EV but it's not there yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The first mention of refuelling being a major inconvenience on this thread is you. I would guess most people who are charging their car on their own driveway are finding it a pleasant surprise rather than a life changing benefit. I know I did when I lived in a house with a charger outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,141 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The inconvenience of filling petrol/diesel is the whole premise of the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Something can be more convenient than something else without the original thing being a major inconvenience. I rate it about the same level as a dishwasher over doing the dishes yourself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Being able to go and buy petrol/diesel to fuel your car in any number of fuelling stations dotted around the country is convenient.

Being able to add the fuel to your car while it's parked outside your house is more convenient (and I'd include folk living within walking distance of public charging).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I had never seen the inside of a motorway services station until I got an EV. Now Im sick of the sight of them. Gone are the days when I could just drive all the way and take a break only if I felt like it. Or even just take a break at some random scenic spot if i felt i needed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,947 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Generally there are 2 kinds of posters:

a) people who have owned both ICE and EV car's and can give accurate and real life accounts of what ownership is like and

b) people who only have experience with ICE car's and are entrenched in their views of how inappropriate EV's are, how the bad the charging infastructure is etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,141 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'll be in b for a very long time, because it will be a long time before an 2nd hand 7 seater EV at a reasonable price comes my way.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058297142/7-seater-ev Mod: Conversation Moved

Post edited by liamog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I cut my lawn there with an ICE. Tank is nearly empty, pain in the arse now going for petrol.

Next lawnmower will be electric.

But if I was a commercial lawnmower user then ICE would win hands down.

It's the exact same as EV car, more convenient to a certain level of driving then after that the ICE is the winner.

most people arent commercial lawn mower users and most people dont need the range in a car that they think they do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

About 35,000km annual, everything else is very local. I think 1200km (Europe) is the longest we've done in a day and have done that on a few occasions. But most 1000km+ legs would be closer to the 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

Used to be in ICE, but since this year in a BEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭eire4

Totally agree. I have a charger in my garage so I am all set there. On longer road trips sure you need to use a public charger but I am sure in time that will end up no different then someone in an ICE car now on a longer road trip stopping for petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,334 ✭✭✭✭fits

I drove 2000 km in an ev over a few days there in the last week. Total time at public chargers - 20 minutes for one stop. But ten minutes would have been plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

Pop into any tyre and ask for a price on a 275/45 R20 or whatever & they will rattle off brand options but never ask about speed / weight

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭GSBellew

• I do not know the range, but it'll be less than the over 1k km's from a typical diesel
    • Miles about 300 in imperial or 500 km
    • Longer than I spent putting fuel in

This is about convenience, I am making the point that an EV would be less convenient in that scenario and when we do build a fully EV Hearse I know it'll be making that journey on a transporter instead.

I find it convenient being able to drive the length of this country and back on the one fill, which I do not have to plan in advance.

I find it convenient that the 31 year old car in my garage will do the exact same distance on a tank today to what VW said it would when it was new, I say that from real world use.

I did qualify my statement at the end where I said that I could see an EV working for me and being convenient for daily journeys that I do, but I do not believe that it is in anyway correct to assume that an EV is more convenient for everybody, there are multiple factors to be considered.

I do not believe that EV's are the solution, I think we will see Hydrogen fuelled vehicles advancing along with synthetic fuels for ICE, EV adopters want reassurance that they picked the right route, hence the ban threat on anything other than the aren't EV's bloody great comments.

You can not consider the convenience of one thing without looking at the inconvenience or having a comparator, otherwise everything is a positive which is impossible.

The resources to build EV batteries are every bit as finite as oil, anyone who does not see the forthcoming resource crisis in that regard is quite frankly deluded.

I hope I live long enough to see the truth about the environmental impact of EV's being revealed to the general public, it the great Green Party diesel drive all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Cool, what sort of a charge could I expect whilst driving a Hearse through a McDonald's drive through to grab a coffee, genuine question, because that is what I did.

I was in bed at the hotel at 2am, up at 8 to go again, if I'd to charge en route I'd have less sleep.

Any tyre I've purchased has matched the minimum speed and load rating required for the vehicle I'm buying for, they have easy access to the information either on the existing tyre or the door plate. I think you'd have to make an effort to purchase the wrong tyre such as by hiding the make and model of the car and insisting on taking delivery only without fitting.

• Advertisement

There's a thread for the discussion of the environmental impacts of EVs, you should read it pretty much every fossil fuel industry talking point you've managed to parrot in this post has already been debunked in it https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119262977

The main factor that will impact on route convenience for those surprisingly common long journeys is the increase in C rate of battery packs. The C rate is the rate that energy can be put back into the battery. There are Chinese battery manufacturers already developing the packs to be capable of 4C charging. This would mean if a car had range of 500km you'd be able to add 400km of range back in around 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In the engine bay of EVs and hybrids all the main cabling to the EV component parts of the engine are bright orange, why couldn't this standard be observed on the charger cable. My big worry at home charging based on no standard side for the charger cable is that my post person or random punter visiting the house would trip over the black invisible cable and sue me for eleventeen million.

I’d say you will be okay, I doubt you have eleven euro let alone eleventeen million.

I hope you are not driving in the morning if you have been up until 4 am drinking again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My decision on the EV/ICE for the next purchase is primarily based on economics, not convenience. However, I would observe that I live in Texas. I'm over 100km from my office, I routinely travel to my next notable city West of me, which is El Paso on the West end of the State. I'm in the middle, San Antonio, about 900km one way. And, no, I don't stop for 45 minutes or whatever for lunch. I stop for five minutes to get petrol around Ft Stockton, and get back on the road. Not even a Lucid Air can manage that. And when I'm there, I routinely drain the fuel tank of my ICE just driving around the Army base there (Which is 15km one end to the other, not counting going to the range). The base has no supercharger, and I don't have the time to travel to wherever the local one is. Not the car's fault, I'm sure the army could install some if it wanted to, but it's a reality I have to deal with.

Besides, my local petrol station is also my car wash, so I get a discount on the fuel for washing the car while I'm there. I don't need to make a specific trip to get the car washed.

After a quarter-century of driving, I've not found stopping at a petrol station to be particularly inconvenient. No more inconvenient than any other routine things I do for life, from walking the rubbish bins out to going shopping for milk every few days.

I've solar panels on the roof which run a surplus, I've routine local tasks to do which would suit an EV fine, so they are definitely under consideration. But when you live in a place like the US, range anxiety isn't an overstatement. Big Bend National Park, for example, is 85km one way from the nearest supercharger (To the middle of the park, which is about 60km in diameter). If you're on a couple day camping trip and driving around the park, suddenly you're going to find the limitations of an EV to be highly inconvenient.

In other words, as was stated earlier, it's all down to individual use case. Sometimes those ICEs are pretty damned flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

This is an Irish site so not sure how relevant your story is to an island that's 200km wide by 400km long.

Also in Europe camping in the wilds would generally involve walking rather than driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭User1998

He has a point about the car washes tho. Don’t all the EV drivers still have to go out of their way to wash the car? Primarily in a petrol station? Wouldn’t most people wash their car once a month? A monthly fill up while washing the car doesn’t seem too inconvenient to me.

Granted some people need more than a monthly fill up, but some people need more than a monthly wash too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Neither would I, but I barely wash the car as it. It might get a wash when its in for a service.. and it got a wash a few weeks ago, possibly wont get another until the autumn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Would the water and soap not get into the fuel tank if you did them at the same time?

Advertisement