Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Stade Rochelais. Champions Cup Final. Sat May 20, 16:45. Aviva Stadium, Dublin.

Options
  • 19-05-2023 4:33pm

Teams:

Leinster: 15 Hugo Keenan, 14 Jimmy O’Brien, 13 Garry Ringrose, 12 Robbie Henshaw, 11 James Lowe, 10 Ross Byrne, 9 Jamison Gibson-Park, 8 Jack Conan, 7 Josh van der Flier, 6 Caelan Doris, 5 James Ryan (c), 4 Ross Molony, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 2 Dan Sheehan, 1 Andrew Porter

Replacements: 16 Ronan Kelleher, 17 Cian Healy, 18 Michael Ala’alatoa, 19 Jason Jenkins, 20 Ryan Baird, 21 Luke McGrath, 22 Ciarán Frawley, 23 Charlie Ngatai

La Rochelle: 15 Brice Dulin, 14 Dillyn Leyds, 13 UJ Seuteni, 12 Jonathan Danty, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Antoine Hastoy, 9 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 8 Gregory Alldritt (c), 7 Levani Botia, 6 Paul Boudehent, 5 Will Skelton, 4 Romain Sazy, 3 Uini Atonio, 2 Pierre Bourgarit, 1 Reda Wardi

Replacements: 16 Quentin Lespiaucq Brettes, 17 Joel Sclavi, 18 Georges Henri Colombe, 19 Thomas Lavault, 20 Remi Bourdeau, 21 Ultan Dillane, 22 Thomas Berjon, 23 Jules Favre

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)

Assistant Referees: Karl Dickson and Christophe Ridley (both England)

TMO: Tom Foley (England)

Previous Results

La Rochelle won 21-24 Leinster

La Rochelle won 32-23 Leinster

Match:

The two best teams in Europe meet once again in the final of the Champions cup, a year on from their last encounter which saw the French side crowed Champions.

Both teams have progressed since, with Leinster going undefeated all season until an away loss to the Bulls featuring an in-experienced Leinster side and a URC semi final exit against Munster.

LaRochelle have strengthened their squad and sit second in the top 14 with impressive home and away form and welcome the return of the fit again French International Jonathan Danty.

Synopsis:

Once again this comes down to a battle of size against skill. Last year Goliath bested David in a cagey affair with the French pack needing the final moments of the game to force over the Leinster line for a win. Leinster in blue and green have demonstrated an improved ability to whether the physical contest and challenge the fitness and mobility of bigger packs. LaRochelle however have further improved their set piece and play with greater cohesion through phases than they showed in the 21/22 season and Kerr-Barlow at 9 has been in sensational form.

Expectations:

Leinster at their best have been unplayable this season and much of this side achieved a grand slam in March, convincingly defeating a French team in a game for the ages. A similar performance tomorrow will see a similar result.

There is too little between the teams to be confident, but objectively Leinster should be confident given their performances against Toulouse and Leicester en-route to the final. A clinical performance from the home team will see them win with a score to spare. If they showcase Tournament final nerves and a lack of composure creeps into their game then yet another tight affair could go either way.

Leinster by 8.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

The important question for us neutrals

What beer will be on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I appreciate your addition of animated team sheets, Venjur.

It would be a lot easier if boards would allow for mp4 format or a slightly larger file size

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Leinster in quite convincing fashion.

Will be a similar story to Ireland v France in the Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think Leinster will shade it, though I might need a beta blocker tmw to get through the game. If both sides play to their potential, I think Leinster will win. It’s a final thought and nerves are always a factor. Leinster have the benefit of the season the Irish team have had. This should give them the confidence to go out and do it.

I really hope there are no red cards to take away from the spectacle of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Can't wait for this. Please jaysus we can win it, another final loss would be cruel. Think we'll have enough and will show up big time on the day. Leinster by two scores

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Madeoface

Can't wait for it. Hopefully rucks are policed and quick ball happens. At this point I can't call it, Botia being back is a real boon to LaR.

Gotta start fast. Leinster making all the right sounds and home venue gotta help. A card could decide it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Leinster by 10-14. They should have the talent to win this game fairly easily.

Posted on the Leinster thread, but bears repeating here. I'm a bit perplexed by the fatalistic tone being take by Ireland's rugby media in the build up to this game.

The way they're speaking you'd think Leinster haven't a hope in winning. It's like they're over correcting after most predicted a Leinster win last season. Yes, La Rochelle are probably better than last season, but so are Leinster. They've changed up their style a bit to be more abrasive in contact and have also improved their strike plays off set piece attacks.

La Rochelle are a brilliant side, with brilliant talent and deserving of their accolades. But they aren't so good that I think they should be tipped so broadly to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

LaR have tailored there breakdown game to attack hard for turnovers, Botia and Danty will have a field day if the Leinster pack are even a beat off the pace, get it right though and Leinster have the firepower to do a proper job on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

For some reason my thanks doesn’t register on the OP. So thanks, Venjur.

Can't see that happening. La Rochelle have won the last two games against Leinster. They're packed with world class talent and are rightfully regarded as one of the best sides in the world. It'll be a close game which I think Leinster will shave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

One of those things that will come back to bite me, but those bigging up LAR so much I feel haven't actually watched their games in Europe this season. Even against Exeter there were numerous weaknesses that a better team (i.e. Leinster) would have exploited ruthlessly.

Yes, LAR have made a habit of wining games in the 79th minute - as they've done twice this season essentially - but that is not a methodology to base your season on.

Leinster by 10.

I actually think it will be more than 14. I’m kind of hedging lol.

I've tickets for both finals so at the Aviva now.

Honestly pretty disappointed by the turnout.

Its because much of irish media are dublin based or leinster fans. They are trying to lower expectations.

Service at the stadium bars is woegeous as well.

Get your drinking done pre-match tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Have Glasgow been in Toulon's half yet.

This is utter dominance.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bottle of prossecco, smoked salmon in the tuppaware, cucumber sandwiches for sharing. Can't beat it!

DJ Wax playing in the stadium at half time.

Fans showing as much interest in that as Glasgow's players appear to be for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

Glasgow must have baby oil on their hands..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Plenty of prawn sandwiches tmw, ne'ery a hang sandwich in sight.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Jaysus.

Toulon has to do a bit of defending for the opening 10 minutes of the second half, but other than that thks final has been a total non event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This is the way.

Hipflask every time. The queues for the bars are nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Glasgow are dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This is the way. (Mando fan?!)

My sister in law bought me a foldable foil pouch that holds a full bottle of wine a few years back. In the freezer the night before and Bob's yer uncle!

I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof, lads. Knackered cause I went for a long run earlier but can't relax cause of the nerves. It's going to be a long night.

• Advertisement

Ha! Kolbe.

Advertisement