Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Anybody checked them out on vesselfinder or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Its already done. It was done in NZ before we accepted them by Babcock. The work here is to fit the items unique to the Irish Defence forces, and train up the crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If they end up with a 20/30 mm main weapon will that be a hard job to retrofit in to hull?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭sparky42

Think they were FFBNW a remote weapon station forward so it shouldn't be too hard to fit, though first we would have to pick a new 20/30mm system...

• Advertisement

Somewhere on the interweb you'll find a tour of the IPV in NZ service, and you'll spot the operators console for a Typhoon weapon system as seen on the OPV and MRV in NZ service. The Govt of the day decided not to fit them on delivery.

Remains to be seen if it was left in place. Same cannon as found on Cav mowags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Slightly off-topic - this Dutch ship was in Cork last week. DroneHawk (of drone video fame) captured this interesting manoeuvre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrAds8fGzvY

Wonder what the sea state restrictions are for using it? Still love the looks of the Holland class OPV tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Arrived into Cobh on a lovely sunny afternoon. There was a nice crowd of people watching all along the waterfront in Cobh, and you could see people at the park in Haulbowline. It's good to see that people are interested.

Looks like the mothership must come to a full stop. Crew tell me they prefer it to the alternative crane launch.

• Advertisement

Same in Crosshaven, at the entrance to the harbour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The problem is that ships are incredibly expensive pieces of kit to maintain as a museum. Assuming they need to be funded primarily from attendance ticket sales, the question is if there would be sufficient tourism attendance in Cork vs Dublin in order to meet those financial requirements.

There is also the issue of accessability. Her stairways are built to Naval standard. I.e they are glorified ladders, with a watertight lid to bang your head off if you rush it. The only way to make it safe for access on all decks is cut large holes on the side, and connect it to a stairs/lift. Then you can only do that where tide is not an issue. Thats before you get a single visitor aboard, let alone exhibit.

Exers who served aboard wil hate it, as it's not the authentic experience. Thats a large chunk of your potential visitors. Who else, in 20 years time will be interested in seeing Irelands last home build patrol vessel, with a helipad that was rarely used and eventually decommissioned. I often wonder how much equipment was removed from HMS Belfast to make her so accessible. And Belfast is in the middle of the tourist centre, opposite the Tower of London, and 2 and a half times the size of P31.

In 20 years time she will likely have been scrapped anyway. It’s an insane idea from start to finish, but as long as not a cent comes from the defence budget for her fine, it will still fail and she will be scrapped but someone else should pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭thomil

I see where you're coming from, especially since an OPV like Éithne isn't as "sexy" as a battleship, aircraft carrier, or even a cruiser or destroyer, especially since she has no battle honours, etc.. On her own, she's not going to be a major attraction, but that would be the case in Dublin as well.

I do believe that, as a centerpiece of a larger maritime exhibition, having her as a museum ship can work out, and between the city docks, the old shipyard in Rushbrooke, the harbor forts around Crosshaven and Cobh, Spike Island and of course Haulbowline Island itself, Cork has the maritime history to warrant such a large-scale museum. Éithne was the last ship to be built at Rushbrooke and Haulbowline was her home for all of her life. The bigger question here is whether the council and whoever is petitioning for this have enough foresight to think in such broad terms, or whether they've already been consumed by that virulent wave of toxic individualism that is choking out every other worthwhile project in Cork.

Most museum ships have that issue. Good luck getting around the likes of HMS Belfast, HMS Caroline, HMS Cavalier or the majority of museum ships in the US if you're dependent on a wheelchair. I've had some interesting experiences on Belfast and USS Intrepid myself, and I was a whole lot younger back then.

I actually believe her flight deck and hangar would be an advantage in this manner, as a wide bridge connected to there, with ramps or elevators on the dockside would already make her more accessible than a vast number of other museum ships. I agree with you that seeing Ireland's last home-built ship on its own will not be a pull, well except for naval geeks like me, but if you read my reply to Manic Moran, in an ideal scenario she wouldn't be on her own.

I'll be honest, I'm not optimistic myself. Corkonians never seem to miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. But eventually, they'll have to get something right, even by pure chance, a broken clock and all that jazz. hey, one can dream, right?

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

I'd be happier seeing it used out of the Naval sphere, perhaps as a Flotel for our expected Offshore wind construction workers. The stern is ideally suited to taking on or dropping off pers from smaller associated tenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I found Belfast a much harder climb on my most recent visit. I'm a lot less nimble these days.

I don't really have an issue of cutting open access to a ship that's not that iconic and likely to be scrapped otherwise.

Tank museum at Bovington makes good use of cutaways.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In fairness, most US museum ships are generally still intact and not modified much for access. I remember before being allowed access Growler, they even had a 'hatch' built quayside with "If you can't get through this, you're not going on the boat". I think it's a slightly over-stated issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If you put a common sense sign like that up here at the moment you would be done for Discrimination

I think were getting into territory that warrants spinning off a dedicated museum ship/what to do with LE Eithne thread, but if the reports/documentaries I've seen about the wind farms off the German coast are anything to go by, Éithne will be unsuitable for that task. The German/Danish "Alpha Ventus" wind farm has a dedicated accommodation block built next to the turbines, with hotel-like facilities (single en-suite cabins, buffet-style messing, gym, recreation room, etc.), a clapped-out warship just won't cut it, not if you want to attract and retain staff. There's a good documentary about Alpha Ventus onYouTube, if you want to take a look yourself. It's in German, but the pictures speak for themselves, and maybe YouTube's auto translated captions can help as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Does the dry dock in Rushbrooke get much use? Would permanently keeping Éithne there as a museum be an option or creating a new space for her? Let her see out her days where it all began and should make maintaining her easier. It is just across the road from a train station which makes it reasonably accessible and I'd say it would do a great trade with school tours at the very least.

Yes, it services all the navy along with civilian ships.

Okay, thanks. Another dock could be dug-out alongside, obviously that would be costly but maybe keeping her there would offset some of the cost of maintaining her (which was previously identified here as a reason why a museum ship won't work) and extend her life as a museum, justifying the cost the conversion costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Just a thought, but probably not. Could it be incorporated as part of the Spike island or Fort Camden experience?

I think Camden would make more sense, it fits a lot better thematically given Camden's focus on the defences of Cork harbour. I haven't made it to Spike Island but from what I've read, the focus there is more on the prison experience, given how short the "fort" period on Spike Island lasted. In addition, there's a pier at Camden that could be modified to take Éithne, provided the water is deep enough. Of course, that in itself would require a bit of work and from what I've read in recent weeks, Cork County Council is doing its best to kill off Camden under the pretext of "health and safety".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Yes I'd agree that Camden would be the most suitable and I know how Cork cc are trying to wash their hands of it, mores the pity.

I think that inside the west pier could be dredged and extended if required. I'm not sure of Eithne's draught but maybe if sufficiently lightened could be brought in on a high spring tide and if necessary the area inside the pier could be sealed off and pumped dry.

But that will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Perhaps sink her for target practice in an area suitable for divers?

Unless we are going to pull a Brazil and just randomly sink her, the costs of making sure she was environmentally sound aren’t cheap, nor is the suggestion of keeping her anywhere in the lower harbour. In the last few years we’ve seen the U.K. struggle with their museum ships (the most recent is an old wooden trader that crossed the Irish Sea that is no longer viable for retention), and that’s with a hell of a larger population base and budget.

The current owner would have an issue with that. They want to fill in the whole place for development, if they can.

• Advertisement

Pretty easy for planning authorities to prevent any filling in and particular types of development for part or all of the site. If the current owners don’t see it being used as a dockyard going forward, then surely they wouldn't object to the dry dock and the area around it being CPOed.

Advertisement