Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The whole point of the building being suitable for a tech hub in the first place, is that its relatively modern and cheaper to refit. Its in a beautiful location and its 30 seconds away from the DART and a busy bus terminus. Not to mention the stated desire to have it benefit retail and hospitality in DL town.

So those particular advantages would be nigh on impossible to replicate in another building owned by the Council and definitely not within harbour property.

Besides, the lease is already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Is the old Holding car park for the ferry inculded? If its not the Navy could easily constuction Modern Modular building there for Offices, Stores and accomadation or if they just wanted office space CIL have a floor for rent at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Or, we could just use the CIL floor and quay? The IPVs are not enormous, and the berth is free a lot of the time, and you'd never have both IPVs in DL at the same time. Still lots of room for CIL to load or unload their equipment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Would be worth asking why the ILS never use that "berth" any more and instead tender all their buoys out to the waiting ship. The Olympic sailing squad are currently using this area anyway.

No, to my knowledge it isn't.

I think part of the ethos of the tech hub is that it not be car dependent, being so near decent public transport, so it's not going to use the yard I would've thought.

However, it is used for other things like concerts and sailing regattas and what not and my understanding is that one long term goal is to build a national maritime sports and leisure centre there, to host big events, train kids and the likes of the Olympic sailing team and give greater public access to the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 kenny80

Any source there? (Apart from a ranting anon twitter account).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kenny80

Not that I seen, I just seen it on twitter and put it up ere for ye guys. I hope its not true tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭thomil

Just did a quick search going back a month or so and heaven't found anything to back that up.

I did find this tender for two drive-on boat lifts for RHIBs by the Irish Navy to be installed in Dun Laoghaire, at least as per the tender documents.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Maybe they could flog them on at a wee profit and buy something decent instead, for delivery once they have got the staffing levels back up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭sparky42

I have no doubt that manpower issues are still going to be the major challenge in getting them operational even with their reduced manning, but I would wonder about that post unless we see something more in say tomorrows papers or something. I mean hell the “waste of taxpayers money” line is just funny, €25 million is minor compared to most government spending “waste”…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Shameful if true.

Two things.

Firstly, that Twitter a/c is a joke. A shambles of a thing, full of baseless crap and grudges.

Second, this pic was posted by the NS at the beginning of this week, it shows the first Lake Class (yet unnamed) dressed in her new pennant number P71, as work progresses in Auckland.

I somehow doubt that the NS would be drawing attention to this progress if the intention was to immediately mothball them. I'm speculating, sure, but it would make no sense. And it absolutely definitely wouldn't make a tap of sense to store them in a third Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I kind of believe it. There’s a huge shortage of electricians & eras.

Keeping the bigger ships crewed would be the priority. But that’s only my opinion and not fact.

I see it differently.

You can keep a heavily manned ship fully crewed, and struggle to do so, or you can maintain a presence at sea, with a fully manned ship with a much smaller crew.

Its about hulls in the water. Better chance of keeping the smaller ships (with a crew half of what the OPVs have) operational, and at the same time, keep the older, less fuel efficient ships tied up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭roadmaster

As a worst case to keep boats in the water could the navy allow Civillian ARAs (probably former navy anyway) to go on patrol with there job simply to keep the ship going no watch or boarding duties.

And its the best case I can think of for urgently revitalising the DF reserve, beginning with the Navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Agree, make the changes, laws are amended all the time. The lake class would be ideal for the reserve in particular. Also I would have thought the opportunity to go on naval patrol would be a major selling point to get folks to join the naval reserve

The naval reserve are already going on Patrol, however they lack the core skills to operate a ship independently of a PDF crew. Even if a member of the Naval reserve was a qualified watchkeeper in the merchant marine, they would have to spend a considerable time shadowing their PDF counterpart on watch before they would be permitted to do it alone.

Its absolute madness, but it's also not so long that Naval watchkeeping qualifications were not recognised by the merchant marine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

First NSR ML hull is poured and moving along, will be really capable platforms when in service.

Great news.

Will be a fantastic asset when all 4 are delivered. I see NSR officers undergoing simulator training in their operation in NMCI recently.

Anybody got a picture of one of these?

Cheers Bud!

I happened to see this in a 2005 edition of An Cosantóir.

Its a debate piece on an MRV by Mark Mellett, when he was a Commander. Interesting to see what the concept vision was at the time within the DF. This is a Blohm+Voss design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭sparky42

Shows how long the MRV idea has been kicking around, yet always never quite gets approved…

Looks like a handy piece of kit..as you'd expect from B&V..

I believe that was the B&V proposal for the NZ MRV, which ended up being Canterbury. The logic B&V brought was the hull form was based on the MEKO 200, of which NZ already operate 2. NZ have since regretted going with an IOM ferry design instead, and plan to replace it with a proper LPD.

But yeah, 2005!

The Irish MRV has matured greatly since then, based in no small part to the negative experiences NZ have had.

• Advertisement

Thank God for that!

Advertisement