Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support a new Rural Political Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That link up using mini buses is already in place along the old N roads where the motorways run.

Also Local Link is connecting a lot of villages in rural areas. Very good service but not so frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree what you’re saying, our house can only sold to someone from the.local rural community and ties to The area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

If only 6% is sold in Ireland then 94% must be exported and brings money into the country. Do you consider exports to be a bad thing?

Germany for example produce a lot of cars, I don't know what percentage are sold over there but quite a lot are exported too. It doesn't mean Germany should produce less cars.

What you want is many many more smaller less intensive farms with more subsidies.

Fewer but larger more intensive farms getting less subsidies will actually increase output and emissions.

When someone stops farming sooner or later the land they were farming is either leased out or sold. The farmer leasing or buying generally are farming more intensively than the previous farmer especially on better land suited to more intensive farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Your entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't stack up to reality or the research done on these matters. The likes of wormer resistance alone is now becoming a major issue for many sheep farmers here.The fact that you are unaware of the Biodiversity Crisis despite all the info out there on it is slightly bizarre to say the least...

• Advertisement

Germany and other big bill payers have indicated they want a total break from the likes of stocking rates and land ownership - subs will still be available but based wholly on the provision of public goods integrated into more sustaineable agri production methods ie. reduced chemical inputs, maintainance of landscape features etc. It is in any case totally unrealistic to expect these bill payers to implement a similar CAP as the EU expands further East, especcially when the likes of Ukraine alone has the ability to to nearly double the EU's entire agri output

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Can I ask what wormer resistance in sheep has anything to do with the discussion ?

I have a pretty good understanding of that issue but its not really relevant.

The "biodiversity crisis " is what exactly ? Few press releases and the usual grifters trying to make a few quid from studies, white papers and perhaps it might get its very own NGO in time.

Stuff like Carbon sequestration, water quality protection, flood control, Pollinator restoration, propagation of Crop and Animal genetics that are being lost etc . Much of which is at the centre of regenerative farming techniques

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Packrat

What % of the pharma output is sold in Ireland?

What % of the energy hungry data centres data is actually used or needed here?

What % of the mined bauxite is used in Ireland?

What % of the Guinness brewed at St James Gate is drank here.

Should we also reduce these accordingly?

You do realise of course that we can't all be public "servants" sucking from the producers of value - the ones who win wealth from the wider world.

Maybe we can all be greeny hippies drawing the magical endless dole and bitching about people who add value to the world...

As posted earlier in the thread by someone else - you are just a crank with a fixated irrational hate of farming.

Did they leave the farm to your brother or something?

I think you taking the p*ss now frankly - wormer resistance highlights the shortcomings of the high chem input model you appear to be very keen on, not to mention all the other examples I quoted earlier that you conveniently ignored. |The penny on such things has even dropped with the likes of Teagasc who increasingly promote the likes of herbal low input leys for young stock health and less reliance on routine dosing.As for your comments on the biodiversity crises🙄 Just one example from this country alone concerning vital pollinators https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/ireland-s-bee-and-butterfly-populations-declining-report-finds-1.3927322

• Advertisement

Don't think I ever said I was keen on a high chemical inputs ag model or normal commercial farming as others might view it.

I have no issue if people want to rewild land,plant trees,leave bits for the birds and bees etc but that's not gonna feed anyone.

Not taking the p1ss at all I can assure you.

Honestly global warming doesn't cross my mind on a daily basis nor is it of any concern to me apart from the impact all this carbon reduction taxes may have on my business.

This is a discussion forum and it's nice to hear opinions, misguided as some might be.

One thing I notice recently is the prevalence of people inserting green stuff into topics where its of no relevance whatsoever.

Large numbers of food crops depend on pollinators, wild fish etc. are also a staple diet worldwide, so thats just 2 examples of Biodiversity feeding Billions of people. Clean water and soils also depend on such things which sustains all life on the planet. Anyways we will see if politicians, farm orgs etc. are awake to the realities of the forces shaping future farming policies or will simply pander to the usual vested interests while real issues facing rural communities remain neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Suits a lot of non drivers to get into nearest town for shopping.

Also I forgot to add re. your observation of small passenger numbers on main route services.

Those routes are licenced by TFI and must run the agreed timetable.

Some runs might have low numbers but the bus has to turn up as timetabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

This entire thread is gas.

if you put us farmers in a barrel of glue We wouldn’t stick together.

So help the climate by shifting production to a country with less favourable conditions as in a non grass based system to reduce emissions?

All well and good contributing something fresh to a farming forum but when a person is clearly clueless on agriculture systems then perhaps they should stick to their wheelhouse.

There is a need to promote green energy production and efficiencies at farm level. There is also a need to promote better mass transport in rural Ireland in terms of carbon.

Pharmaceutical companies are heavily subsidised by governments especially in Europe.

Remember the free covid vaccines we all got - the government paid for those not the pharma companies. There wouldn't have been anywhere near the uptake if we all had to pay for the shots and administration.

We also have the drug payment scheme and medical cards in this country which contribute heavily towards the cost of medicines.

Without these supports a lot less Pharmaceuticals would be sold because people wouldn't be able to afford them. This is done for the populations health not for the pharma companies benefit or because they create jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Very true.

Farmers used to unite for a common goal.

Over the past few years we are gone very polarized.

Just a few examples:

• dairy vs tillage
    • dairy JEX vs dairy conventional
    • regen vs organic vs conventional
    • EVERYONE vs dairy
    • suckler beef vs dairy beef

These factions didn't exist 15 years ago.

the only sectors that still don't have agro towards eachother seem to be beef and sheep. Prob cause we all feel like animals heading up the ramp to slaughter, we don't fight in the lairages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It’s in the media the supposed rows are set up. I don’t think there’s half as much animosity on the ground.

But people getting on together is not drama and I assume doesn’t give click-bait headlines.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

What area do you work in yourself?

Clearly it isn’t farming or pharmaceuticals based on your understanding above.

My GP doesn't work for a pharma company and I'm lucky they accept walk in appointments.

I would also advise looking up the drug payment scheme if you are unfamiliar, it might save you money some time. You'll find the government pays a lot of money to multi billion dollar pharma companies every year not just for covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Jack98

Fair play to you…

Don’t think farmers say anyone owes them a living and whatever problem you have with farmers incomes is your own business but they only want to be properly remunerated for the hours they put in.

A dairy farmer may have a high income on paper put when they put in 80-100 hour weeks it probably equals what 2.5 people in a sales role make for a 40 hour week.

Likewise beef/sheep farmers mainly now are gone part time and have to put in 20+ hours a week into their enterprise probably on top of the 40 hour work week off farm.

So it is easy to see why farmers are up in arms with all this sudden policy change being dropped on them with no warning and just being told tough adapt.

Farmers are reasonable people who are already making drastic changes to make sure they keep up with ever changing environmental policy.

They have enough to be putting up with as is without having to listen to uneducated in the field fools a kin to yourself belittling their livelihoods and absolutely zero appreciation for the work they put in to maintain food security in Europe and further afield also.

Subsidy payments are on the decline. They aren’t linked to inflation as well etc.

Farmers pay tax as well. Farming depends on extensive infrastructure like machinery, handling facilities, sheds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I got alarmed when you used the term "public goods" as I have a real concern with the right to roam brigade. I don't think the other EU member States realise how different our private property laws/rights are in Ireland and I will do my upmost to protect them including forfeiting future payments if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Packrat

Probably a topic for another thread but it's really concerning how many social media groups there are advocating for this and spreading misinformation and hate about farmers. I opened FB yesterday and saw about 3 groups more or less dedicated to this sh1t.

Nothing I have read on the matter mentions "right to roam" - its not something I would be keen on either given the issues we have in this country with littering, vandelism, sheep worrying etc.

Governmental instruction ?

They are there to serve the will of the people not the other way around.

What will subsidy reduction achieve bar making you happy ?

Also if you must know, starting a sentence with " But " is poor grammer akin to not being aware akin is a single word.

Can we please leave the green emissions to a separate thread ?

Perhaps someone could devise an appropriate title for it if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭leoch

Sales my hole blueshirtdreams.......its chocolate charlie in disguise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

No. People with agenda’s seek confrontation and can’t help themselves.

Now I am busy. I have the hedge cutter in today. Thought I heard some birds nesting so want to put an end to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Who suggested that about the buses ?

Some farmers really need to get over themselves about the "ignorance of urban dwellers". Do farmers never complain about teachers, HSE, the barman, the price of a pint, the price of loads of other stuff. You know loads of sht they know nothing about.

Never goes both ways either. We all have to spend every night studying farming or whip ourselves for our ignorance but I haven't met many farmers seem too bothered to learn how the other side lives.

Based more on your bias than fact I would say.

Advertisement