Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolved Irish Mysteries.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Haven't heard of this case before. Dr David McDonagh who disappeared from Dublin Airport in 1987

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Bertie Tyrer

something very off about him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

His "I didn't hear anything" story is incredulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Was thinking more qualludes (of Wolf of Wall Street infamy) that were around at the time, could’ve rendered him unconscious. Pure speculation, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I was wondering because I didn’t think E had any effect on hearing. Quaaludes would certainly be more “disco”.

You do hear stories of murders taking place in houses and other people not hearing a sound. The ‘Keddie Murders’ in the States springs to mind but that was children and they may have heard, or seen, something but blocked it out.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 37,876 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

it's quite mental and little eerie

Car with the couple inside possibly buried deep deep down in the sea somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭passatman86

^^^^^ Obviously a guess but id say the car entered water some where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Odd story. It does say the passports were there but later says they were missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Article in the Independent re Annie McCarrick saying she was being hassled by someone known to her, can anyone summarize ? (It's behind paywall).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I was going to post this the other night, but thread was closed.

There's a documentary on tomorrow night (Monday 8th) rte 1 at 21:35 Missing: Beyond the Vanishing Triangle.

I like RTEs documentaries as they are usually concise and to the point. Unlike TV3 that adopt an American approach and repeat the same stuff at the start, before a break then after the break so a half hour programme is stretched to 1.5 hrs.

"Her mother Nancy has revealed to Missing: Beyond the Vanishing Triangle, an RTÉ documentary to be broadcast tomorrow night, that friends told her Annie had been having 'quite a bit of difficulty with someone she knew'."

Someone hit her when they were drunk

A week after she disappeared, some American friends faxed formal statements to the Gardai outlining concerns re a personal situation that had been brewing in the months leading up to March 1993.

Gardai say they didn't get them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That programme tomorrow night should be interesting.

I know the Guards seem to rule him out but it seems strange the disappearances stopped when Murphy was put in prison.

Post edited by Galwayguy35 on

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Balagan1

The Sindo doesn't claim that her friends in the US faxed their concerns directly to the Gardai. It says that five of them wrote their accounts and concerns and faxed them to her parents and relatives who were then in Ireland and that her close friend, one of the five who wrote concerns, "understood that they were for the Gardai." The uncle told the documentary that he gave them to the Gardai. Questions to be asked about when and how he passed them on and to whom within the Gardai and why neither the friends nor relatives queried the Gardai inaction on the concerns and leads given.

Correct - apologies for confusion. Just re-read it again.

The fact that the friends never seem to have followed-up is unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭HorseSea

Had forgotten about that case, I remember at the time a friend knew him vaguely and naturally was interested to know what happened. Only remember that at the time he thought he had wanted to disappear, but don't think he had any basis for that. Strange that there was never any more information found and that it just dropped off the media radar.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I often wonder how many of the people who disappear without a trace are actually in some sort of witness protection scheme. Maybe it's just wishful thinking...

Must admit from reading the media reports my eyebrows were raised at a successful doctor with two practices driving a humble Ford Fiesta...granted he was apparently having financial difficulties but in this day and age those who are experiencing financial difficulties from the professional classes tend to put great effort into 'keeping up appearances', ie still drive a fancy car but just don't update it or get it serviced as often etc....Ireland was a very different place in the eighties, much less keeping up with the Joneses.

Bit of an odd case right enough, especially the lack of media attention since 1995, which tbh suggests to me friends and family know what happened?

• Advertisement

I do often think some older cases (none in particular,just in general) the person may have been homosexual and it was easier to disappear than to "come out" to family and friends especially when homosexuality was illegal.

Or else they owed money to someone.

"Easier" for the family to go along with the theory that the person just disappeared.

Without a body it's very hard to know.

True but I think that it's coincidence....if you look at the media reports in each case individually, you don't have to read too far between the lines to see that the guards in most cases suspect a boyfriend or ex-boyfriend but haven't got enough evidence to charge, I think there is one exception where Murphy was known to be working in the area where the woman disappeared.

[quote=Emmet Spiceland]I was wondering because I didn’t think E had any effect on hearing. Quaaludes would certainly be more “disco”.

You do hear stories of murders taking place in houses and other people not hearing a sound. The ‘Keddie Murders’ in the States springs to mind but that was children and they may have heard, or seen, something but blocked it out.[/quote]

Ireland in 1982? Lol, there were few enough e's or qualudes around, Ireland was a backwater back then. In 1982 disco biscuits weren't readily available even in the likes of Chicago, NYC or London, let alone Dublin.

If the report below is accurate in suggesting Bertie Tyrer was already in his late sixties at the time of murder, I think it is highly likely that he was telling the truth when he said he slept through the murder.

In an odd chain of events Alpho O'Reilly, who recruited both Bertie and Charles to RTE, disappeared without trace in 1996 (there is no suggestion he was in any way involved in Charles' murder).

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/unsolved-crimes-mystery-blond-holds-key-to-solving-brutal-murder-of-rte-set-designer/34925812.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was thinking about the couples or even families who vanished without a trace leaving everything behind, more so than the individuals (and not only in Ireland), but yes, you may very well have a point.

Well in cases of whole families I'd say yeah they are on the run from something.

With advances in DNA and databases, I think more missing cases will get solved quicker and faster than before (once they find a body)

My late mother knew this RTE artist/designer during her days at art school, in fact he warned her no good would come from a long-standing relationship she had with a mutual friend, just as she was alighting from the bus at Rathgar. She often wondered at that. “I’m warning you!” he called at her several times.

Alpho was head of design at RTE when Charles Self came on board the team. Two people with a connection, one murdered, one disappeared.

My grandmother’s brother, who was, way back in time, a once very well respected city centre business man and auditor for a certain building society, suddenly disappeared, leaving behind his wife. Family lore has it that he had a gambling habit and funded himself out of resources not his own. In later years a relative spotted him in a certain part of London clearly down on his luck. I traced his death there to 1980, I’m still trying to research articles about him, the only ones I’ve come across are high praise of him for doing the auditing and being a leading light in Dublin business society.

So yes it is very possible there were debts. I don’t think homosexuality in an elderly person back then would have made him disappear, unless there had been an assault or something untoward reported or about to be.

I vaguely remember a story of a guy going to USA ‘94 and never coming home. Someone who knew him spotted him in some bland US city about 10 years later and that is what had happened. He was gay and chose the tournament as his time to disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Gardai have ruled him out of the Fiona Pender, Fiona Sinnott and Ciara Breen cases afaik.

I remember reading somewhere the family of Deirdre Jacob are doubtful he's involved, although a fellow inmate said he got loaded on prison vodka and boasted about doing it. There are the ongoing developments on McCarrick that appear to imply it's someone known to her. So that leaves only JoJo Dullard out of the 'main 6' normally given for the Vanishing Triangle, unless I've missed someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Doing some reading about that case and the doctor apparently met a patient of his on the flight they were both on the evening he went missing who he offered a lift home to… the patient declined the offer.

so you’d be wondering if he was offering a lift to said patient, could he have been voluntarily thinking about doing a disappearing act with himself on that particular evening ?

Advertisement