Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco is a ****hole.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The city also has not been doing well economically. They stayed shut down way too long during the pandemic.

The exodus is also continuing.

The articles are paywalled, but as I look at the city’s main newspaper’s website (Chronicle) right now, headlines include “why did SF stop bussing homeless people out of the city?” , “Dad of attacked ex-SF Fire commissioner says he’s fed up, -we’re leaving”, “Why BART super fans are falling out of love with public transit”. Unsurprisingly, the estimated value of my house there has dropped by over 25% the last two years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Actually, the resurrection of this thread has had me do one of my occasional reviews of local news.

BART had an independent inspector General appointed in order to review operations. Despite great resistance from both the directors and the unions, she found a lot of inefficiencies and corruptions. Continued lack of cooperation has resulted in her quitting a couple weeks ago.

The city put a boycott into place a couple years ago against 30 states which passed laws restricting values San Francisco liked, such as LGBT+, abortion, or voting rights. However, the boycott is costing SF too much money, a lot of exemptions were being given anyway in order to get stuff done, and the boycott was having zero effect on changing any other states' actions. The city just rolled back the boycott.

A big public announcement of the installation of a new public toilet in Noe Valley was canceled when it was leaked that the cost was going to be $1.7mn. Then again, the same city pays a third of a million dollars for each foot of tram platform, and has also spent a half million dollars developing a public rubbish bin.

A toilet was eventually donated to the city... by a company in a boycotted state.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It’s really sad to see San Francisco - a city I have lived in and have loved - in such bad shape. 😢

Essentially the problem seems to be very poor governance by the Mayor and her city officials in response to the upheavals of the Covid-19 pandemic and the shift to remote working which has led to a mass exodus of workers from the downtown area.

But SF, unlike most other North American cities, always had a thriving inner city residential zone, but stratospheric property prices and housing costs have driven many people, especially families with children, away. Three American friends that I have who lived in SF just could not afford to raise children on good salaries with the current housing shortage and moved away from the city - one to Stockton where they can work remotely and two others away from the Bay Area altogether.

Homelessness was a serious problem when I lived in SF in 1998/99 and it has only got worse. I’ve been back to visit San Francisco a number of times since I lived there, and there is no doubt that the city has got worse with each visit - yes, there are more tall shiny new skyscrapers and some more gentrification and urban renewal, but the very visible divide between the obscenely rich and destitute poor which shocked me when I visited LA in the 1990s has very much become very visible in SF too. One notable change is how bad the public transport system, once the envy of America, has become - very shabby and rundown.

According to the SF Chronicle article linked below, if things continue the way they have been in recent years, San Francisco could enter a “death spiral” of urban decline and a self-reinforcing negative spiral of dwindling tax revenue from businesses and residents (who are leaving en masse) - this is what happened New York in the 1970s when it was bankrupt and in very bad shape.

Article linked below:

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Los angeles and portland and some other usa citys have a massive homeless problem, the problem is every state is different ,eg many states have very limited welfare support for homeless people with mental problems or drug addiction issues . the safety net is hardly there for people who live on the streets .Homeless people tend to go to citys where the weather is warm and its possible to live in tents on the street. Also many big companys like amazon pay very little tax .conservative states are passing laws to allow anyone to buy a gun and carry it concealed .America is a divided country between extreme conservative and liberal democrats .

it seems to be getting worse some american city centres are almost deserted ,people are working from home, buying everything online ,urban area,s are being left to the people who live there ,shops offices are empty , some people avoid crime ridden city centres ,its safer to buy goods online, people go to the office 2 or 3 days a week.

most tech companys are laying off 1000s of workers ,the long tech boom is over

even if you look around dublin many offices are empty .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

The problem with California is that it has developed into a bland shallow kip since the Silicon Valley Boom. For a state that values itself on not being mean it really is a dysfunctional calamity which has no solve.

The US is a very polarising place. It has set itself up as such. It terrifies me that given they are only harbour 4% of the global population ... that they have such a dramatic influence over everyone's lives. That fact alone makes the modern world in a dreadful state of unbalance.

Irish democracy and free thinking has been dramatically influenced by the dross the US pollutes globally. We have been raised watching their corrupted movie industry, which has condemned itself to creating 3rd millennium reinterpretations of 20th century cartoon artists. People don't even attend the ciinema anymore? When they do they sit there like farmed animals getting their brains infested with advertising that is necessary to keep a cinema as a going concern - 50% of turnover to be precise. The other 50% comes from the US influenced notion of shoving an entire 3 litre bucket of popcorn washed down with a litre of Diabetes solution and melted pack of minstrels, a large packet of jellies, Nachos ( no idea how they managed to get such a following, albeit real nacho are not comparable with the plastic packaged, synthetically monosodiumglutamated carcinogens that morons have convinced themselves are a " treat " to be enjoyed with fake cheese and defrosted Jalopenos..... or non homogenised ice cream made from inorganic dairy products flooded with enough synthetic additives, preservatives, colourings and E-numbers so long you may as well call the Cancer gods before you arrive at your seat to be brain washed by corrupted global conglomerates who want to sell you something you really have no use or need for?

US cinema and its deranged commercial presence are a sublime simile of what the US as a nation has managed to impact on the world. Enough said.

San Fran is the tip of the iceburg Sceptics, you should know this, but regrettably your government is happier investing in modern weapon development than actually providing a welfare scheme for its' citizens.

The irony is that it actually has convinced itself that it is the pioneer of human rights..... please.... They have murdered every influential civil rights activist that has ever attempted to improve the lives of its' citizens.

I am not interested in their domestic sports structure, but needless to say that their sports are boring, pedestrian and not worth criticising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Dublin offices are much busier again Tuesday to Thursday, but certainly the impact of WFH on Tech companies, along with crazy property prices has made SF less desirable.

The homeless issue looks terrible now.

When you get to the point that people are avoiding dowtown due to crime and anti social behaviour, the local govt really have lost control of the city.

Sadly, there is likley to be further decline in SF, as there doesn't appear to be any appetite from the local governance to change things.

Its fair to say that the approach to crime and drugs and homelessness is really too liberal and predictably, has not worked and has catalysed many social and economic problems in the city.

Even the Tech bros dont want to be there. And why should they?

Why pay all that money and have to live in that squalour, with real risk to your personal health and safety.

Not to mnetion the fact that its just depressing to see every day.

It really cant do much for your mental health to see tent cities and people constantly strung out on drugs on your way to work each day.

Why would you not WFH, given the choice?

I know some parts of Dublin have some issues with drugs and crime, but lets hope we never end up anything like SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I lived ther years ago , some great memories of a wild city - went back a couple of times recently , a lot older - crack and crytal meth had destroyed so many people , the homeless crisis had got much worse , but the expense of the city , standard accomadation , means I wonder will I ever go back - always found similarities with Dublin, where I'm from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Seattle is as bad. Was really taken aback when I was there. Some of the biggest companies in the world; Amazon, Boeing, Starbucks, Microsoft - a lot of wealth and then an army of zombie crackheads. It's utterly bizzare and sad.

I found Phillie bad as well in spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Haight st was always a shithole

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭corminators

Huge number of shootings on the freeways around SF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I posted a longer version of this story in another thread.

Went there in September/October 2019, shortly before COVID. Based ourselves out around Mountain View (I've relations there) and booked 3 nights in SF City. Stayed in a hotel not too far from Union Square. After the 2nd night, herself wanted to go back to Mountain View even though we'd paid for the third night. You have to understand, my missus isn't the type to pay for a hotel room and then not stay. She absolutely hated the place and couldn't handle the homeless drug addled mentally ill zombies hassling us. You have to see it to believe how many homeless drug addled mentally ill zombies there are. If you offered her a free holiday there, she wouldn't take it.

It's actually quite sad to see the half life that the street people live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was in SF for a week last September and things have changed a little bit based on what you described.

We stayed beside Union Square and it was ok(ish). Yes it was full of zombies but they kept themselves to themselves. Even at night the area around Union Square seemed ok. However we did notice a big change as it came into the weekend. More and more homeless and stoned seemed to appear over the weekend and the atmosphere at night became a lot more menacing. There was also a corresponding increase in the amount of human sh1t on the streets at the weekend. On the Saturday there was a march from Union Square in support of Iranian women's rights, whilst on the route homeless women with drug and obvious mental health problems were lying on the streets / staring into the sky / rooting in bins. Seemed a bit ironic to me.

They seemed to have moved a lot of the homeless out of the central areas. I did walk to Oracale Park one morning and used Google maps to show me the quickest route..... not a good idea. It brought me through some dodgy areas and it was the only time I felt a bit unsafe. It was an eye opener to see dozens of makeshift shelters on the roads and paths lived in by well dressed people who obviously had jobs but couldn't afford to live any other way. We drove to Muir Woods one day and there were lots of cars on the sides of the roads outside of the city with people living in them who cycled in and out to work in the city every day.

The poverty alongside the extreme wealth is unreal. You can be Bloomingdales looking at $10k handbags whilst downstairs in the toilets there's p!ss and sh1t everywhere and strung out people lying in it. There are art galleries selling pieces of hundreds of thousands of dollars with people sleeping in the adjacent alleys.

It's a fascinating place to visit, but not a place I would bring kids and you need to be prepared for what you are going to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

To paraphrase George Carlin, it's called the american dream because you need to be asleep to believe it.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The problem is American city's are in decline they were not designed for people who work from home it can cause a spiral as crime and homeless people put off people going into city centres. Shops close down as they rely on office workers to make a profit the value of office buildings is falling as more people choose to work from home

That's the us system they spend billions on defence and nuclear weapons. While only providing basic services to homeless people

Many American city's are in a crisis while tax revenues fall and homelessness gets worse

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was in San Francisco in 2011 and the first thing that struck me amout the place was the amount of homeless people there. I was in Los Angeles last year and an awful lot of homeless people there too. Many of them seemed to be mentally ill. I'm not sure what kind of services, if any, there were for them. One guy who was completely out of it fell on to the subway tracks one morning while we were waiting for a train. Myself and my girlfriend had to pull the guy back up on to the platform. After it happened the guy just sat on some steps. It felt like he was so out of it that what had just happened to him didn't even register with him. It would have to have hurt falling on to the track but the guy didn't give any signs of being in pain. Good thing the frequency of the LA subway is terrible! I lived in Vancouver for a while and the city had a big homeless problem too. Not as big or as visible as San Francisco or LA but noticeable all the same. Someone told me many of Canada's homeless move out to the west coast because they wont freeze to death there.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Piskin

San Francisco went downhill communally after Silicon Valley took control of politics. Most US cities are soulless crime ridden kips with drugs being the major factor in crime. The American Dream was actually a corporate logo made up in the 1950's and became entrenched in the american psyche ever since. America is a vast beautiful country with diverse landscapes but life in America has gone seriously downhill in the last 20 years. Mental illness & Drug Usage is at crisis levels across the board. Any country could could elect vegetables like G W Bush & Joe Biden into power tells a lot about America. Everything is geared around work and the Almighty Dollar and the demented pursuit of happiness which is elusive. Remember that before WW2 America was in bad shape for 30 odd years. Vietnam was the start of the american decline in terms of society. Ireland & the UK is going the same way as they looked to America for too long. America created the TV Advert and they have falsely advertised the Hollywood version of America to the entire world.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

Noting new , was there for a few days 10 years ago and it was a **** hole.

Seen a woman taking a **** at the bus stop and nobody batted an eye lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

A couple of my favourite childhood movies were shot in San Francisco. 'Mrs Doubtfire' and 'Getting Even with Dad' both recorded there in 1993. I was reading that someone tried to set the Mrs Doubtfire house on fire because a surgeon who worked on trans people owned it. That is quite fitting given the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

the whole city is a shithole. Expensive, dirty, full of drugs, mentally ill people with no homes and rich people who turn a blind eye.

Obviously the reparations bill being discussed will give 5 Million dollars to those who most deserve it..cough.

I avoid the following cities LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland for much the same reasons as every sane thinking person: Crime, Personal Safety, not supporting crazy political decisions.

P.S. Chicago is going in the same direction politically and is already there crime wise. Hence I not longer live there.

My Uncle was working on a building site in Oakland, just outside of SF about a year ago. The crime is so bad there that lads pouring concrete on a building site were unfortunate enough to have a junkie with a gun come into the site and rob them while they were pouring concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Had to go last year for a trade show, just outside the city. We went in to town one night and it was far worse than I can remember back in 2016. Human **** everywhere, never saw so many tents, I literally had to walk around people strung out with needles in there arm. The chasm in wealth and living standards can not be quantified. I will never ever step foot in the place or California for that matter.

A lot of California is nice. I stayed out near Mountain View, about an hour outside of the city. It's a nice place. We toured the Napa Valley. Again very nice. All of California is not a sh1thole. Although the places I've just mentioned are extremely expensive places.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Out of interest where in the US would be nice enough to stay, anywhere outside of the major cities, or do you think what we are seeing in San Francisco, Seattle etc occurring elsewhere and in similar numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

This may sound like partisan BS, it is not.

Rural America is honestly, blissful. Crime is practically zero, unless you see the local news paper "woman charged with assault in shop after flicking a pencil"..I kid you not. The problem with Rural America though is you are in Republican Country. Where I live there is a 50:50 split between Democrats and Republicans. Move out of the town and you are talking 100% Republican. The democrats have moved into the area from large cities i.e. Chicago, San Francisco and New York. They want to bring in "New Ideas" to local city council....locals hate them and see it as an invasion of leftist ideology.

I have sympathy for them, I don't do politics in the main. People locally understand this. This fleeing of the cities and wanting to bring the same ideologies to small rural American, that have destroyed the cities. They came here for safety and now want the same policies that cause lack of safety in cities.

Self reliance is the Republican Mantra (from what I can see) Democrats want more Governmental interference (generalisation I know).

The populations are generally homogenous in Rural America (where I am). White for the most part. Very few Black families. Mexicans get on well as they are generally hard workers. One thing that I have discussed with Black visitors is that they feel unsafe in our area, it's a perception rather than reality. This is probably brought about by the lack of other black families here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I thought i already posted this, thanks for that view of rural America . I’ve only been to cities , nyc for 10 years, and never got out to the countryside. I met people from places like Oaklahoma and the midwest and they were always sound down to earth people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Politics aside.

When I was in san fran, they told me they bus homeless people from northern states to San Francisco as it’s warmer in the winter.

Is this why theses a large homeless population?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Psychlops

You sound like a treat to bring to the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Gangster Rap was invented by the CIA because they were terrified that African American musicians were gaining too much cohesive social attraction with tax paying, conservative white America. They worried, that the influential Soul and RnB scene, which had dramatically crossed over to the mainstream, so seamlessly, was encouraging ethnic interaction and giving the ghetto a substantial voice and influence. The ironically republican California could not stand a reprise of such culture and decided evasive manipulation was required.

Gangster Rap is revolting misogynistic drivel, everyone with a note in their heads knows this, which the CIA decided to pollute the popular Teenage music scene with, in order to persuade White America that African Americans were poor, tracksuit wearing, black trash, with designs on polarising their virgin daughters with violence and drug use. The reality is that most Black Americans wouldn't dream of listening to such drivel and prefer proper music like Motown, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Dionne Warwick, The Supremes, Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Bob Marley, The Isley Bros etc etc. The CIA knew this and thus decided to find the shightest most irrelevant crap, that was being spat through a microphone, by lazy, moronic, dope and crack pipe smoking criminal no hopers. They did this to deliberately reinstate the already tenuous cultural divide, that had enjoyed a welcome hiatus during the 70's and 80's, it was a manufactured and deliberate ploy, motivated by fear and the intransigent moral dilemma, which rich white California has always suffered with.

It is the same reason there were no black Actors in ET, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Arc or FRIENDS. Look up Gary Kurtz, educate yourself.

I would rather read Ginsberg for 3 hours, than literally bother my hole, via the uncomfortable dead arse, that is created by sitting in an uncomfortable foam padded flip chair, in a dark room shared with gormless strangers, watching rehashed hyperbole, fed to me through a smokescreen of synthetic gloop enabled by bland profiteers. I have things to be doing.

I reckon Elon Musk is being trolled by NASA. I haven't seen as many spaceships being blown up after 30 seconds since the ill-fated Death Star ambush, which nearly cost Admiral Ackbar his life in the Return of the Jedi. As a matter of fact, that was earnestly produced over 40 years ago and Hollywood has failed to produce an intergalactic battle of any significance since. That matters. 40 years of CGI Dinosaurs, Meteorites and other Alien Armageddons and they still haven't managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Not really sure we're in a position to call other cities "shitholes" when we're stuck with the likes of Dublin.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

If Dublin is a shithole, id really fear for the rest of the country!

D1 is rough and certain other areas, but the majority of dublin, especially south east dublin, is lovely.

I am sure there are also plenty of nice areas in SF that arent downtown.

Advertisement