Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bridge across river Liffey planned by Dublin Port

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,067 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

So they are moving the ferry port to the southside, where the traffic off the boats will be dumped right into Sandymount, or a new road/bridge that presumably links in with the Dublin Port Tunnel? That'll never fly.

Wonder have they costed flood defences into this 2040 plan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's an expansion of the container port which is already on the Southside. Implication is that the access will be via the new bridge and the tunnel. Most of the traffic for the existing container port uses the Eastlink and the tunnel.

EDIT - I missed the bit about a new RO-RO terminal on the southern side, but the new bridge will effectively contain that traffic within the port until it hits the tunnel. If anything it will be an improvement for the local communities as they'll see a reduction in trucks using the Eastlink.

At the moment there are 2 ports and trucks going between them are using the Eastlink and the public roads around there. This new bridge will effectively connect the 2 parts of the port together internally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've not seen detailed plans - would there be an option then for them to ban HGVs from the tom clarke bridge? i.e. instead of building a second bridge which also caters for cyclists, motorists and heavy traffic - build a new bridge and segregate the traffic types?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Council will lose a few quid on the Eastlink toll won't they?

Playing worlds smallest voilin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭josip

Will all traffic in either direction have unfettered access to the new bridge?

Or will the access road design discourage non-port traffic from clogging up their bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Their plans are not very detailed at the moment. The new bridge is not wide enough for segregated Luas and road traffic lanes. Does that mean a Luas extension to Ringsend will share the bridge with port traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

Here is the release of the same Bridge 1.5 years ago.

https://www.thejournal.ie/new-bridge-for-the-capital-5605041-Nov2021/

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh - it's actually right beside the tom clarke bridge?

3.3m is not wide enough for "future LUAS", right? TII's own documents say 6.6m:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭p_haugh

It looks like it's provision for a single track section.

This bridge is also proposed to be a lifting bridge, so will be interesting to see how the overhead wires of the Luas would be accomodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I cant see this working out as a plan in 2016 to spend €50 million to by pass the Merrion Gates Dart rail line level crossing never got off the ground.

Too many objections from NIMBYS in Sandymount, Dublin 4. Meanwhile gates are still being hit by trucks, cars etc on a weekly basis.

I cant see how the Sandymount residents will allow this planned new link bridge to go ahead.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/first-look-at-50m-plan-for-merrion-gates-bottleneck-35164878.html

The proposed bridge is in Ringsend, a long way from the Merrion Gates.

All the development being proposed is on Dublin port land, on the other side of the road to the Ringsend residents who already have the East Link in between them and the proposal.

Post edited by kravmaga on

Here it is quoted from the rte report,

"However, some local residents in the area near Dublin Port have complained about what they claim are proposals to hijack land on the Poolbeg Peninsula for the construction of a boiler station and the largest container storage facility in Ireland."

"The Sandymount and Merrion Residents' Association (SAMRA) said the proposal to use 20 acres of land next to an accredited UNESCO Marine Biosphere and an EU Conservation Area noted for its rare and internationally important habitats and species of wildlife, to build a container storage facility and boiler station is wrong."

"'This creeping type of port development is not how this unique finite city central resource should be used. It may suit the businesses operating in the port but it is regressive for the needs of the community," said David Turner Chairman of SAMRA.'

"'3FM needs to return to the drawing board'."

local residents in the area near...

Hmnn, last time I checked, Sandymount and Merrion wasn't exactly 'near'.

Hopefully their objections will be given the short shrift they deserve and they can refocus on matters more local to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Sounds like they just don't want any enlargement of the port near their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

The computer generated view across the beach from Sandymount shows no impact that I can see, but who would want to lose their view of an old power station, one of the largest sewage works in Europe and an incinerator. That vista might be ruined if the three high stacks of containers placed in front of them do get stacked higher in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

From some of the locals reactions, you'd think there hasn't been a port there for the past few hundred years.

I have been saying this for years but I don't think the Luas extension across the river to Poolbeg will ever happen. I think DPC are of the same mind and are moving forward while paying lip service to the Luas idea. DCC also were planning to build another bridge across the Liffey on the western side of the Eastlink for pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

for reference, this is the current view from Sandymount beach which is a world heritage site/ unspoilt vista or something.

If I amnt mistaken, the most of the development will happen behind those trees on the left, if not more to the left again towards Ringsend/ Eastlink Bridge - so their magical view should remain fairly much the same.

• Advertisement

It can be whatever the good people of Sandymount want it to be :)

it's not a world heritage site. The bay is a protected area but none of this planned development is in the bay itself and as pointed out above, the view across the bay already has a filthy 1960s power-plant in it & most Dubliners would lynch you if you tried to demolish it.

On a related note, I was in London recently and visited the Tower of London. I was amused that you can see the Shard (tallest skyscraper in Western Europe) from pretty much every part of the Tower, along with a load of other skyscrapers. It doesn't detract at all from the experience of visiting it. Meanwhile in Dublin you can't build a 10 storey building because it might be visible from one of our (somewhat overrated) Georgian streets.

the bay is a UNESCO biosphere, IIRC.

i doubt the windfarm would be within the confines of the bay - if you're referring to the mooted Dublin Array, it's 10km offshore and not within the bay itself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

What kind of cargo does Ryan envisage arriving at or leaving Dublin Port by rail?!

It makes zero economic sense to lift containers onto a train, haul them 100km, and then left them onto trucks to take them to their final destination.

I could understand if there was some kind of relevant commodity (like coal or iron ore or wheat) but the vast majority of cargo coming and going from Ireland is finished goods.

I'm open to correction but I think (other than Tara Mines) containers are the only rail-freight flow left in Ireland? It's a consultation and Ryan's general point is that the plan make no allowance for Ireland's climate targets and is entirely based on road freight.

A huge amount of the freight that comes into Dublin is destined for the Dublin region (which is one of the reasons why proposals to move the port to Rosslare or wherever are dubious) but there is probably some potential for moving some of the material destined for regional locations onto rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

@loyatemu

I don't doubt there is some potential, the question is how much and at what cost (and environmental benefit).

My understanding was that rail freight makes sense when more of the following are true: a) distances are long; b) cargo is homogeneous; c) cargo doesn't have a sell by date. None of these applies very much in Ireland.

If anyone has done a study on this in the Irish context I would be keen to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

All of what you say about rail freight is technically true, but on the other hand Irish Rail is planning to build a new rail freight hub in Castlebar, a small town of 12,000 people with just a handful of industrial locations nearby. If you look at it that way, there must be significant scope to expand rail freight at Dublin Port.

To continue the Mayo example, correct me if I'm wrong, but Ballina, a small town, has more container rail freight traffic than Dublin Port. So again, that suggests significant potential for expansion at Dublin Port.

Do guinness still ship by rail?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You literally couldn’t get a country less suited to rail freight than Ireland.

• small island, short distances
    • no heavy industry, almost all “just in time” light goods
    • Very little mining or other heavy loads
    • Every city is a port
    • Excellent motorway network , every other city is 3 hours or less from Dublin

Honestly rail freight really doesn’t make any sense for Ireland.

What makes it even less sense from Dublin Port, the lines around Connolly are already the most congested in the country and will only get worse with Dart+. There is simply little or no space to get rail freight into and out of the port via these lines without drastically impacting passenger services.

Advertisement