Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Australians **Mod Warning in Post #129**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Travellers are the same race as us.its not racism. Its discrimination and I agree its wrong that it goes on here.

Its a different situation in Australia tho. They are blantly racist. You would really have to hear with your own ears to believe how bad it is. I don't think I would have believed it only for the experiences. I had over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It's very hot up there alright. The climate in Melbourne/Victoria is more similar to Ireland though. One minute in Melbourne the sun can be splitting the stones, and then the next minute it's pissing rain! There's actually a flight that goes direct to Perth in Western Australia from London now. The advantages are that there's no stopping over in places like Dubai or Hong Kong. The disadvantage and it's quite a substantial one at that, is that you're stuck in a cramped plane for almost 17 hours!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Australians generally view themselves as laid back but I found that they take themselves very seriously. Maybe it's similar to Irish people generally viewing themselves as friendly, but foreigners living here often say it's just superficial and it's hard to make long term friends.

I think it's a good spot for people who want to travel, but don't really want to go somewhere too different. It wasn't really for me at all, I suspected that before going as I had never had much of an interest in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Why did you decide to go there then? Generally when you go on a holiday, you kind of have a prior interest in the place you're visiting.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Bonzer mate!!

• Advertisement

I spent several years in various Asian countries when I was in my 20's. I just thought I would go and see what it was like and if maybe I was a bit prejudicial, but no, it turns out it wasn't for me. It was fine, but I wouldn't really see the point of travelling to the other side of the world to be somewhere that is similar to here. I can see why some like it though, as it is probably the only place on the other side of the world that you will see people wearing your counties GAA shirts. It is physically a large country, but the population is only 25m (not that much bigger than the Netherlands) and it is fairly remote, it feels it too in my opinion. Did you know Dublin is closer to Beijing than Sydney is?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it's absolutely nothing like here if you venture out of the urban areas, you should have seen a bit of the country maybe, there's nowhere in the world with that much untouched sunny coastline

Well physically it's quite different to here, but the culture is similar enough. Whereas say somewhere like India or China would be very different culturally and some people would find that more interesting. It just wasn't for me, nothing personal really. I never really had much of an interest in the US either, I only ever visit on work trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Baasterd

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Baasterd

Spent a bit of time there and agree the casual racism is something that takes you back, in some ways their attitude to life is also refreshingly simple.

But as it relates to Asians Australia was the first country to properly recognise what China was up to in terms of strategic competition with the West, while the UK was inviting them to build nuclear power plants Australia was warning about cyber security risks etc. So they do have a reason to be suspicious they are in the firing line so to speak, and a lot of money that leaves China ends up in Australia, Singapore etc we don't really have that problem in Ireland or the UK, although the Arabs and previously the Russians in London were an example.

Long story short the Aussie's might be cut a bit of slack over their grumbles with their Asian neighbours moving over en masse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Piskin

The Travellers are the original Irish before the Normans & the Tudor English came to civilize Ireland. The majority of Irish today are settled travellers. Look at the history of the Celts and you will see the comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Piskin

The Irish are racist as well but hide it better than aussies, at least with an aussie he is speaking his/her mind however brash it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Quokkas were my favourite part of the place but I had trouble with the heat in Ireland during the Summer so Australia was tough. going for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've lived in Perth for 16 years having initially planned a six month stay, the lifestyle is fantastic and I couldn't go back to Ireland permanently now when I'm 3kms from a stunning beach. The few weeks of horrible heat in summer is worth it for the fantastic spring and autumn. Bit of cold and rain in winter is lovely when you know it isn't going to last long. I couldn't live in the humidity of Queensland though.

I laughed at some of the comments here. Terrible beer? Craft beer has taken off in the last five or so years, you're spoilt for choice now with breweries (and wineries), especially in the south west which is a stunning part of the world. Racism? Sure, absolutely an issue here. But Irish people taking the moral high ground on that is hilarious. Bad losers at sport? The Henry handball comes up every year on the anniversary. Annoying accents? We're no angels on that front either, Christ. Gah shorts, Leinster/Munster jersey and a few pints is a hell of combination to let the world know who you are.

The biggest downsides for me are the cost of air travel and the time it takes to get anywhere, the time zone difference to Europe, not every band tours here because it's too far, and the sense of humour is different but that's a me problem.

Australia's not for everyone, of course, but a two-week holiday 20 odd years ago isn't going to give you a fair impression of anywhere 😂

Perth is lovely, Cottesloe beach is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

While some of their customs are indeed closer to precolonised Irish ones, I wouldn't think this is in any way true.

There are popular surnames such as Stokes, Joyce and Power which are English or Norman in origin, so that would suggest that the travellers moved away from the general Irish in later centuries. There is no definitive theory to their origins in reading or documentaries I have seen.

It is of course just people's personal opinion, not everyone likes the same thing. I think we agree on the main downside, Australia is pretty remote, so it takes a long time to go anywhere else. If I was going purely on lifestyle, I would prefer somewhere like Portugal. It has good weather, but not too hot most of the time, good food, near to Ireland which I would see as a positive. I just personally think, Europe has a lot more to offer than Australia. Granted the weather is a lot better than Ireland, but we will see how long the weather is tolerable there, we might have Australians visiting Ireland for the weather in 20 years to escape the heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My half-Aussie missus told me about how the Aussies barbeque a chicken with a can of beer stuffed inside the chicken. I laughed at her, told her to pull the other leg. Not a word of it did I believe.

A few years later when we were in Oz, we were at a BBQ and sure enough, they had a chicken standing upright on the BBQ with a can of beer (only about 10% full) shoved up its jacksie. The beer flavours it, apparently. Not sure what the burning paint on the can does to it but they don't seem to mind that.

Someone else said about the climate in Melbourne being somewhat similar to ours. Of anywhere in Australia, Melbourne is probably the closest to ours but it's not remotely similar to our climate. It is very changeable though. We were in Melbourne one day at about 12 noon and the wife's uncle told us to be careful, there was a storm coming in at 3pm. We laughed because there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was clear blue. But sure enough, at about 2.45pm the sky got cloudy. 5 minutes later it was very dark. 5 minutes later it turned jade green and hailstones that actually dented the car started falling. Mad weather altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't think you ever need to understand what Danny Healy Rae is saying. Just mark it down as gibberish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Australians are a bit one dimensional, non degree jobs pay far better than in Ireland or the UK so I can see the appeal for young people , Europe has it all so I see no need to fly for twenty four hours , I have been to New Zealand, prefer Aussies, kiwis are too Scottish

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Australia gave the world INXS so they can’t be all that bad... 😎😁 🎶

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Not organised crime like travs but they are massively overrepresented in aussie jails

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Complete nonsense - they nor their culture are in no way representative of “the original Irish”.

They are genetically distinct from the general Irish population due to them only mixing within themselves since around the time of Cromwell (1650s, well after the Tudors and about 500 years after the Norman invasion).

Yeah, something seems to have happened after the Cromwellian invasion that caused them to become separated and then they just stuck to themselves.

Although when you read about the behavior of the Gaelic Chieftans, you can see some similarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

Thanks for that reccomendation for "Wake in Fright" sil. Absolutely brilliant film!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This. Very much a nanny state. The penalties for mundane stuff are insane. Leaving a car window open an example. The Irish over there collect all sorts of fines and I guess than stems from the absolute lack of enforcement/Garda laziness we have here.

Culturally it's pretty empty feeling as it's so new. And in general it's just lacking variety of something for travel options.

Great quality of life otherwise. You can earn savage money and live pretty comfortably with good services in the cities.

Say that, I much prefer it here.

• Advertisement

Advertisement