Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Australians **Mod Warning in Post #129**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I was there a few months ago & I found it an amazing place.

I would seriously consider moving there only I'm the wrong side of 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sunshine2018

Australia is a beautiful country - Sydney has a fair few ‘up themselves’ people

it’s gone very expensive

they are poor losers in sport ! Always moaning about the result - the ref etc

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Schnooks

That is exactly what my experience was, both in the large cities and even worse in the smaller places. And if anything, the women were even worse than the men with their openly racist comments, throwing the eyes up to heaven when Asian colleagues would walk into a bar, being rude and almost refusing to serve them etc.

It may be a great country for outdoor stuff etc, but plenty other places are too, including Ireland. I do want to visit NZ and spend about a month travelling around, as I have heard nothing but positive accounts of the people, sights to see etc.

But I will be bypassing Australia. Too many ignorant arseholes to be dealing with there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Why are they all up early on a Sunday doing out doors activities? do they not drink on Saturday nights? and if so, do they not drink that much? or are they still drunk/hungover while surfing/mountain biking etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭HBC08

I wonder what an Australians perspective on Irish peoples views on travellers might look like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Reminds me of a joke an australian told me:

"What's the difference between Australia and a tub of yoghurt?

Leave the yoghurt alone for a few hunderd years and it'll develop its own culture."

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Schnooks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I found it to be similar, neither abs nor travs fit into modern irish/aussie society and no one wants anything to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭HBC08

Treated similarly from my experience.

However on here that's nasty Australian racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

It can't be all bad if Hugh Jackman is from Australia, the few interactions I've had with them were on line or in Dublin with one embarrassing experience an Aussie tourist taking over a tour group as a complete know it all, ignored he threw a hissy fit. On line Irish chat sites they're uber chucks when they find out you're from Belfast and expect a pat on the back 12,000 miles away.

One other bad interaction which was completely our fault sort off was on the bus down to Dublin coming up to I think it was Dundalk theres an AOH? anyway massive brawl outside of it a wedding party, two Aussie surfer types on the bus said something like 'fantastic a proper Irish smash up' Oh and I'm crap at giving directions, get fuddled so when an Aussie tourist stopped me in belfast town centre wanting directions to the nearest KFC I was all 'ahm umm, dunno mate sorry' then realized what the hell am I apologising for? 12,000 miles to Ireland to eat a KFC whats wrong with the local food?

The few interactions I've had don't speak for the entire sub continent, as for the weather native flora and fauna and the ingenious people it and they should be respected the same as ourselves when people come over, then again our largest native land predator is the ferocious stoat (I think ?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I've seen that one before.😂 The poor man just couldn't enjoy his succulent chinese meal in peace!😂

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Most of the aborigines are behind all the trouble in Alice Springs as well. Alice Springs is to all intents and purposes Australias version of Longford Town!

well i mean they kind of just had this european society forced upon them and were supposed to adapt to our ways, not really fair on them. was the same in canada, all of the natives i'd see there were always drunk passed out on the streets and fighting etc.

Yeah well thats a great way to fight the system isn't it, just get hammered and start fights, that will really show them.

No it isn't really but it's easy for us to judge them as Europeans who didn't have a completely different culture and way of living imposed on them in relatively recent years.

You sound like an Australian lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I think one of the issues is that they never had alcohol so it really hit them hard, plus trying to bred out of existence would dampen ones spirit. The film Rabbit Proof Fence is worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I have Australian 2nd cousins but they are 20+ years older than me due to my grandfather having children later than his sister. I couple of years ago I was speaking to one of them on Ancestry.com in the cousin match section. She replied a few times but in general I've noticed on that site that people don't really have interest in speaking with you. They are just on there for the novelty of it. I won't make the mistake of ever messaging cousin matches again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I travelled around Australia and New Zealand for a month in early 2000 with a short stay with my first cousins who live on a big farm near Brisbane.

My impression of Australians? Friendly in the main, very direct, outgoing, confident, headstrong, very outdoorsy (they have the good weather) and self-reliant. Not unlike the characteristics you would also see in many Americans. A “frontier” type mentality in ways.

The overt racism expressed by so many Aussies I encountered was very noticeable and very, very bad. Not just in rural outback towns but in the supposedly sophisticated and cultured Sydney and Melbourne also. It’s a real bad mark against them as a people IMO. Most are also very uncomfortable talking about the historic mistreatment of Aboriginals.

My late father really disliked Australians, including my uncle who owned the farm I mentioned earlier. He visited twice in the 1970s and 1990s and found Australians in his own words to be “boorish, rude, obnoxious, uncouth, uncultured, bigoted, opinionated and crass.” 😁

I personally much preferred New Zealanders/Kiwis from my visit there - they seem much more grounded, informed, cultured and easygoing than Aussies and far less overtly racist in their views. Kiwis, I learned from being there, absolutely hate being mistaken for Aussies!

Post edited by JupiterKid on

I remember meeting an Aussie girlfriend of my cousin, he is Irish. I was impressed at how confident she was, she came to our house and chatted away like she knew us for years, id say they are in general very sure of themselves which is a great trait I think.

Yeah well im sure the Irish travellers had similar experiences but its time to wake up and join the rest of us in the 21 century and stop living like savages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I married one of the fcukers.

Arrogant, opinionated, racist, boorish, rude, obnoxious, uncouth, uncultured, bigoted, and crass. But she has nice tits, so that's why I married her.

I think your opinions are a bit harsh! In terms of rudeness, brashness, and general all round obnoxiousness, there's no beating the americans on that score! New Zealand is just another version of Ireland. It's just not as exciting a country as Australia imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'm glad there's never been any foreign oppression here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭downtheroad

They start drinking early and they finish early. Can't beat starting on the beer at 12 or 1 in the day, but I found the Aussies would be gone home by 6 or 7, whereas the Irish stayed around for the rest of the night.

Great country. Much more disposable income over there, very fair visa system (if they need your skills you'll walk in, otherwise piss off), and so much to do. Most Aussies are completely sound, and the dickheads - sure there are dickheads in every country (particularly Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I don't get the racist comments about Aussies. I lived there for a long time and yes there is a a lot of racist stuff but I find Ireland way worse. I can't spend an hour in my local or other places without hearing about foreign/black/muslim etc. We are way worse in my experience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I loved it there when I went to my brother's wedding, only bad thing was the flight time and extreme heat, about 40c everyday.

Yes I think it's gas Irish people are trying to take the high ground on racism. I never saw people being racially abused on the street in any country other than Ireland.

Not comparable. Europeans took Australia when the Aboriginals were living as hunter gatherers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Your dead right. I have to listen to people whinging about foreigners this and immigrants that and I remind them that I spent half my life as an immigrant in Oz and they go ah sure you were grand which I think is code for you're white and speak english. I've never heard an Irish person complain about British people living here it's always the "poles/blacks/asians". I live not far from where Adam Idah is from and when theres a match on at the pub he's called the foreign lad. He's not foreign he's born and bred in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Have cousins living in Queensland, they are always inviting me over to visit but it would want to be when its cooler because even a hot summer day here would fry me.

Advertisement