Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crypto tax situation - Read post 1 for thread banned users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Any recommendations for lending platforms?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

What's meant by '...borrow against your crypto'?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Getting a loan, using your crypto as collateral.

For defi loans, I've used Aave on Polygon. For cefi, I use Nexo. Not sure if these are the best options around, but they're the ones I've used. Nexo have 0% loans if you have a low enough LTV and enough of their own tokens. Could be a good option if you intend to pay back the loan soonish.

Different countries might have different options depending on what's available there, I know Celsius do 1% loans but they're not available to me anymore in Canada.

Outside of crypto, I borrow against my regular stocks with Interactive Brokers but that's a slower solution if you don't already have your shares there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's a small mans version of what Apple does. They have hundreds of billions in cash, but rather than spend it, some of which would involve transferring it from the 'still ovseas account' in their NY bank to the 'now in the US' account in the same bank, which they would have to pay tax on, they just borrow or issue bonds, because the interest they pay is a tax deduction against profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Items 3, 4 and 5 are all disposals for CGT purposes. The base cost is the value of the coin in EUR on acquisition date and the proceeds are the market value of the coin received. CGT is assessed on a calendar year basis and losses can be set off against current year gains or carried forward but they cannot be carried back. I.e. if transaction 3 resulted in a gain in 2021 it was taxable then. If transaction 4 gave rise to a loss in 2022 then it can be set against gains in 2022 (e.g. on transaction 5) or carried forward. Any tax arising ont he gain at 3 (if it was in 2021) would have to be settled in cash even if you have never converted the coin to actual currency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rlirs

Distributed hash chain - Extending blockchain to hashchain for scalability

Distributed hash chain or DHC is an extension of blockchain structure first implemented in Bitcoin. Bitcoin and many other blockchains suffer from scalability problem. Bitcoin on average can process only between 3.3 and 7 transactions per second which makes it unsuitable as a currency as people cannot do many transactions and transaction fees get very high. In comparison VISA processes thousands transactions per second. The main reason is that every node on the Bitcoin network needs to receive and keep a copy of every transaction. The goal of DHC is to improve scalability of a traditional blockchain.

One approach to improve scalability is to use sharding where instead of a single blockchain there are multiple blockchains that store different sets of transactions and they are synchronized between each other in some way.

DHC has a single blockchain, but each node only stores a subset of transactions in a given block so it can process them as quickly as possible without any bottleneck inherent in traditional blockchains. When more nodes join the DHC network the partitions of transactions split further so each node processes similar number of transactions as before the split.

Search github for "distributed hash chain"

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Remember too that multiple trades per year can attract full income tax rates and not CGT...Revenue may consider you a trader.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Trading Tax Implications – Income Tax

On the basis that cryptocurrency is looked upon as taxable under CGT for investments, then it can be assumed that ‘traders’ will be taxable in the same manner as traders of stocks, other currencies or shares. That is, the profits from trading will be taxable under Income Tax rules.

Therefore, individuals that are trading in cryptocurrency are required to file an income tax return (Form 11 or Form 12) each year and declare profits made on trading. The profits will be subject to normal income tax rules i.e. PRSI, PAYE and USC Will apply at the relevant rates (Up to 52% tax).

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Seurat

@MakersMark I would be interested to see how many trades they would consider actually trading

For example buying a handful of coins and flipping them should be ok as they can be viewed as individual investments but repeatedly buying selling eg Btc (on a daily to weekly, maybe monthly basis?) may be a different story

Their literature would support the idea of it being an investment so long as it isn’t your primary income but that’s not an official opinion

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-02/02-02-06.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭borderfox11

Hello, trying to figure this one out with respect to FIFO

I bought some bitcoin in 2017, at around 2000 eur

Fast forward to this year and im looking to sell some - I understand that when I sell, the gains will be calculated from the cost basis of 2000 eur

My question is simply, does it matter in any way, shape or form how i bought the bitcoin that I now wish to sell? I'm probably answering my own question here :/

The bitcoin I am selling was bought with a loan/margin but is it just the case that the taxable gain will be .... 2022 price - 2017 price ... and that's it?

thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭borderfox11

that's what I was hoping - at this stage I will probably just hold them as I wouldn't be able to afford the CGT at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 1 happymatt

Hey, are you still looking to sell the bitcoin? I will buy at a good rate

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Is there any information anywhere on how many trades might label you as a stock/crypto trader? I couldn't find the answer anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

There isn't a set magic number. Google the badges of trade to get an understanding of where your activity may fit. The ebrief below may also help even though it's talking about corporation tax; the concepts are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Anyone know if a trading212 loss in 2020 can still be used to offset capital gains declared in 2022 and onwards?

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Was it cfds? If its cfds, then you have to negate the interest on funding to arrive at your Cgt figure. Normal stocks, sure, as long as you filed the loss in prior year(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pop_figure

Hi,

I'm new here at boards.ie and first would like to say hello everyone.

I'm looking for a person who knows Irish revenue law good enough to help me understand how to do the taxation on crypto. I've had traded for a few years.

I'm looking for a reliable advices. I'm looking for a paid service. Is there any person/ company I can reach out? It would be even better if this person was Polish speaking.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pop_figure

Thank you so much. I will contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gt552

Hey

I have a good bit invested in crypto and I want to start buying and storing on a cold wallet for my 4 Yr old until she is older. I would be buying crypto with my exchange account and storing it on ledger. When I hand her the seed phrase in the future and she wants to sell, how does the tax work as I bought it and she will be selling it? Don't want it to affect inheritance, has anyone done this and know the answer. Thanks. Ps Also have post office account for her for the crypto haters 😜

Post edited by Spear on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Won't be any tax liability attached, as crypto will be worth nothing by the time she draws it down. Buy her some magic beans as a backup plan.

Wanna buy some magic beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Will enjoy replying to you in a few years when BTC and ETH have exploded in value again.

As for the tax implications they can move jurisdiction when they are older if they want.

Post edited by maninasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,202 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

When you buy the crypto, that's an acquisition by you.

When you give it to her, that's a disposal by you. Assuming the crypto has gone up in value, you will be liable for CGT on the gain, just as if you had sold it.

Also, when you give it to her, that's a gift which attracts CAT (for which she, not you, is liable). Unless by by then the value of the crypto is very large indeed, there will likely be no tax payable, but the value of the gift (based on market value at the date of the gift) will eat into her lifetime allowance.

The key to understanding the tax implications of crypto transactions is this; they are the same as the tax implications of similar transactions involving other assets. There are no special tax rules for crypto.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Take out crypto loan against the asset rather than disposal or transfer no tax implications on the fiat you get out of that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are speculating in a currency, not investing in any type of asset with an intrinsic value and the exact same rules apply as to any other currency speculation and even more so since it is fully automated and not back by a regulator. It may do very well or it may not only time will tell.... The Swiss franc was considered the safe and obvious bet three decades ago when it was at 2.56 to day it's almost unitary. I hope you do well, but I would not bet on it against a well allocated portfolio....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,202 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't see how this is going to work. If OP takes out a loan and gifts the loan proceeds to his daughter, OP still has to repay the loan at some point. And to do that he will have to dispose of his crypto, thereby generating a charge to CGT (unless the crypto has not appreciated, of course). So all this does is to defer the OP's tax liability, not avoid it. Which means the only loan he can afford to take out is one which he can repay from his crypto proceeds after paying CGT — e.g. if he holds 100k of crypto of which 90k represents accrued gains, on which there is a tax liability of (say) $24k, then the most he can borrow and give to his daughter is (100k - 24k =) 76k.

I'm not seeing how this gives a better result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This has nothing to do with Feedback. Moved to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

Advertisement