Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crypto tax situation - Read post 1 for thread banned users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Income and capital gains apparently...read back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I'd assume that its Schedule D Case III income, i.e. interest from foreign property. You should ask Revenue though via My Enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭REFLINE1

Has anyone here payed CGT for sale of NFT's, I have some questions, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ChinMusic21

Hi all,

Looking for some advice re stop loss orders and tax

If i set up a stop loss order on my ethereum (eth to euro) in coinbase pro and it executes leaving me with my sold ethereum, but i dont take it off the exchange and then reinvest my euro back in to say eth or btc do i still have to pay cgt on this??

So essentially im selling my crypto but not "cashing out " and leaving it on the exchange to reinvest so it never actually get to my bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Yes. Assuming that you've sold at a profit, you've realised a gain regardless of where it is. CGT can be due on the sale, gift or exchange of an asset.

Even if i bought back in the following day at a loss??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes. Ireland's tax regime is vicious. It appears to be designed to intentionally discourage people from investing, or if they do, limit as much as possible any benefit they might get from doing so, while bending over backwards for corporate entitties like REITs. In other countries they let people have investment accounts where you only pay CGT on money coming out of the account, ring fencing transactions that happen between the account and investments. But thats other countries.

Don't forget you have a miserly CGT relief of the first €1,270 of profit being exempt CGT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

If you've been lucky or smart enough to acquire a lot of wealth via crypto, best to just leave for somewhere where you're treated better and tell the grasping pinko politicians here to go do one. Things aren't going to change here anytime soon, and if you think it's bad now, how worse will things get under Sinn Fein/PIRA regime in the not too distant future?

• Advertisement

I have plans the emigrate to New Zealand. Currently no CGT, no death duties, no VRT, no DIRT, GST(VAT) of 15%, no CGT on imputed sale of ETFs you haven't sold, petrol is 10c cheaper and the weather and healthcare are a lot better. Houses are mind bendingly expensive and of poor quality, but there's always something.

Quick one,

Does Koinly apply the personal exemption of 1270 when generating the tax report do you know or is that up to the user?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Found this brilliant YouTube channel by two Irish lads who explain in detail how to file CGT and income taxes for crypto and everything else:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Hi lads. Is capital gains tax entirely independent of income tax? Like if a person had a poor salary or was unemployed the entire year would they still have to pay the 33% or can be discounted against their (lack of) income?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Dude. Before you start booking your trip, I pointed out to you not too long ago on another thread (although maybe it was after the post I am quoting), that you will be taxed on gains from crypto in NZ.

I'm not telling you this to pis$ you off. I'm telling you just in case you actually arrive there and realise you might as well have stayed in Ireland as regards being taxed

Totally different taxes. However if your trading activity is to such an extent that your trades would be considered taxable under income tax; then the normal income tax rules would apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

So they'd take 33% CGT and also get you for income tax? What a hammering.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

No. For most people the activity will fall under CGT. That's 33% on their cumulative annual gain from selling, gifting or exchanging their assets. For some who are trading in huge volumes, they would possibly fall under the income tax regime not CGT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

"For some who are trading in huge volumes, they would possibly fall under the income tax regime not CGT."

What would be consider 'huge'?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

You are into how long is a piece of string territory but the badges of trade is where you start. If your trading activity is numerous and material enough to have you thinking in those terms, then you need to consult a tax advisor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,202 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Volume of transactions is just one factor. Essentially, if you're carrying on a trade, you pay income tax on the profits of the trade, even if the trade is dealing in securities or other assets. But if you;re making investments, the gains from your investments are not the profits of a trade and are not subject to income tax. Until some time in the mid-1970s they were wholly tax-free, but it became politically embarrassing that some people were making obscene amounts of money from property speculation and paying no tax, so CGT was introduced.

So, if you make money by buying and selling assets, which tax you pay depends on whether your activity of buying and selling assets amounts to a trade or business (income tax) or doesn't (capital gains tax). In most cases the answer is perfectly clear - when you buy a picture from an art dealer you're making an investment, but he's carrying on a trade - but there are always going to be borderline cases. They are decided by looking at a range of factors - the nature of the activity the taxpayer is engaging in; how much time the taxpayer spends on it; whether he holds assets long-term or trades them actively; how frequently he engages in the activity; whether he does ancillary work to make the activity more profitable (e.g. if you buy, restore or enhance, and then sell assets that's more likely to be trading than if you simply bought and sold them in the same condition); his motive for the transaction (e.g. is he buying artwork to hang on the wall, or simply because he expects it to appreciate in value?); etc, etc. A holistic view of all the circumstances has to be taken, and circumstances are different in every case, so there is no simple universal rule that can be laid down as to when activity will be trading, and when investment.

It's worth pointing out that when there's a row between a taxpayer and the Revenue over this, nine times out of ten the taxpayer is claiming that his activity is a trade, and the Revenue is denying this. The reason is that the taxpayer has suffered substantial losses in his activity, and he wants to set them off against income from his day job so as to reduce his income tax bill; he can only do this if his activity is a trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Have any of you lads set up limited companies? What sort of income do you need to be pulling in to make it viable I assume over about 120k? I'm a sole trader with a consultancy at present that's doing slightly less than that but maybe the crypto will give me that little boost to get up and over. Of course I think the trading may end up in my personal tax take anyway (or I'd have to limit my personal salary to 40k a year?). I've gotten a lot of mixed information and the people I'm taking to aren't doing crypto.

Ask an accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Question on book keeping for crypto tax purposes.

I keep an excel doc with a record of all my crypto holdings with the following info: 

Cost price in €, Cost price in $, Amount & Date/Time of Purchase

In some cases I have to do multiple trades to purchase a particular crypto e.g.

1) On Coinbase Pro I purchase XLM with my €

2) I transfer my XLM to Kucoin

3) In Kucoin I trade all my XLM to USDT

4) In Kucoin I trade all my USDT to ONE

5) On viper.exchange I swap my ONE to WAGMI

6) I hodl the WAGMI token

In my excel tracker the only thing I am recording is the WAGMI token and it's cost price & amount etc.

I don't keep a record of all the intermediary transactions because these are all done within 30 minutes so there should be no taxable benefit to any of them. When I do come to sell or trade my WAGMI I will then calculate CGT based on the sale price - cost price.

Does this seem reasonable? Or should my bookkeeping track all those intermediary transactions and calculate their CGT even though there will most likely be zero.

Why haven't you just being buying usdt on kucoin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Sorry I dont get the question.

I do buy USDT on Kucoin. I buy it because it is one of the options available to trade to the ONE coin. I can't buy ONE coins directly from €

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hi all

After years of hodling, I need to cash out a portion of my crypto

I admit I haven't had time to read this thread in full. What confuses me is assessing the base cost of the crypto, does revenue allow for 'average cost'? If not it will be rather laborious to work out

Thanks in advance

Omt

No they don't. The base cost is that of the first quantity you bought, that matches the quantity you are selling. First in, first out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Yeah they do it first in, first out.

You could always just borrow against your crypto if you don't want to have to deal with tax on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Thanks guys I assumed as much, pain in the butt to work out. Might try a loan against it instead.

Advertisement