Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hardware gone down to €300 to buy now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Any yet not so long ago they said they were subsidising the price of it? Don't think you can believe what some people say.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Some people don't understand mass production 😀, same thing happened when Sky TV came out first. Their equipment started out at €500 now it's free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

It is almost free already in some European countries, sales are poor in Europe they have to drop prices in there .

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mick e

Just ordered starlink.

How did you guys mount the dish.

The official mounts seem pretty expensive for what they are, I was planning to make a mount of my own.

Are you happy with the service, anything to watch for as regards installation?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭pms7

I use these https://www.freetv.ie/shelley-8-nut-pole-clamp/ onto a pole

not pretty but secure. Tape over the connector when pushing out through the wall to keep clean. Pipe adaptor looks nice but expensive. The Starlink long and short mounts seem to be for going onto facia rather than wall. Have both but never used which is a pity as they look very neat. Wouldn't trust two screws to hold them onto timber. I'd love to see photos if anyone has used them on a house in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭webels

Dont out rule the stock stand that comes with the dish. I was going to get a mount but saw that the 4 legs of the stock mount have 4 holes which can be bolted to a flat surface. The dimensions are quite small allowing me to bolt to the top of the chimney offset from the flue. Could take a picture from the ground if anyone's interested....not going back up that ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stillinthedark

Anyone got Starlink recently and can advise on how long it’s taking to ship the equipment?

I had my order confirmed on 21st of March but in my account it still doesn’t even show an estimated date for shipping. Two weeks and still not even an estimate shipping date seems a bit excessive to me.

With lengthy delays for their support via the ticket system I thought I’d ask here to see how long others have had to wait until the equipment is shipped.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

I ordered mine on the 26th March, it came yesterday. Very quick for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭lukin

I paid the 100 euro deposit on the 23 September 2021 and got the kit on the 15 October. Had it up and running that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

There was a bigish outage early this morning. My Starlink App said it was down for 36 minutes.

Lots of comments on Down Detector from people saying how stable it had been for them for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kerrymayo23

I ordered 20/3/23 - renting hardware - and it shipped from Germany the following day, arrived in Mayo in 5 days. I'm surprised yours is taking so long.

Does anyone have experience with Starlink outages? Are they frequent enough to need a back-up internet option? I work from home and a 30 minute outage would cause a bit of stress at certain times. I can call and have very average but just usable hotspot with Vodafone. I'd rather not double up on hardware, but I could buy an antenna and TP-Link Archer MR600 router to run my Vodafone sim as a back up option. Is this overkill?

Outages like that are not frequent at all. I spend my entire working week online and run hours long virtual training sessions that have not had any disconnections on my Starlink connection. When I first got it 15 months ago, there were occasional 1-2 minute outages, but as the coverage of satellites has improved, it has become much more stable. If I had any belief that outages are frequent and disruptive, I would have a backup connection in place, with auto fail-over.

My current backup plan, if there was a longer than 1-2 minute outage, would be to hotspot off my phone. I've not had to do this yet.

Brilliant. Thanks @ItHurtsWhenIP I won't bother with an antenna.

Just had to reset a Starlink that was out since Sunday. Was working Sat night, so came back after the morning outage. It was showing as online in the app but there was no internet. It's in bypass mode. Anyone ever have this issue?

Install today, online but says unexpected location. Sent ticket to support, which works through Starlink, but speedtest will not. Website through Starlink shows France page. Location on map in account is correct. Waiting to hear back, anyone else have this issue? Hopefully they just have to fix a setting their end. Did several resets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sebna

Also what kind of speeds are you getting those days? Still good or is it dropping?

I know there used to be no data cap? Is it still the case? No speed limiting after reaching for example 1tb per month?

And finally when they bring new contract prices? Do existing customers get a discounted price or are they locked at what ever the signed at?

Many thanks

EDIT: I found in Starlink documentation following alarming line:

Is this correct in your experience? If so that would be what, about 200 euro per year in electricity costs on top of contract etc.?

Post edited by sebna on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Yes you need to buy the Ethernet connection separate.

150 to 200mbs very happy since last august.

No data caps but it is satellite so it does go up and down but nothing noticeable unless you are constantly running a ping to track it.

Yes, my bill has dropped already compared to what I was paying at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sebna

Many thanks. I might bite the bullet. Have you seen my question about electricity usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raf75

..and monthly subscription down again (second time) 65e. Not bad from 99e year ago ;)

Yep just got an email saying reduced to €65 , happy days. At this price point I think imagine and co will be on a bit of bother

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dont see any reports about this specific change happening outside Ireland. I wonder if they are seeing NBI starting to steal customers, its definitely been my plan to switch off Starlink when we get access to NBI next year but that was when the price was twice what an NBI contract was likely to be.

Indeed it was a nice email to wake up to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fuggets

Prices reduce all the time and vary per country. For example, in France Starlink standard is €50 per month. Apparently it’s a lot cheaper all across continental Europe. Meanwhile in the US pricing changes according to Starlinks capacity to deliver. A CNBC article back in February states: “Elon Musk’s SpaceX rolled out new prices for residential Starlink customers based on the company’s capacity to deliver service, according to emails to customers reviewed by CNBC.

The changes, outlined on Tuesday, split residential users of its satellite internet service into areas of “limited capacity” and “excess capacity.” Prices will rise $10 per month, to $120, for users in limited capacity areas, while prices will drop $20 a month, to $90, for those in excess capacity areas. The new pricing will take effect on April 24.” There are some blogs and videos out there of US customers complaining about this development. I would fear that once we’re hooked in here, prices may increase with no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fuggets

I don’t currently have Starlink but I’ve noticed since the price reduction that Starlink are now stating that average customer speeds in Ireland are 100 Mbps. Prior to the drop in price per month, Starlink stated that speeds for Ireland were on average 50 - 200 Mbps. I would be interested to know what speeds those with Starlink are actually getting in Ireland since the price reduction. Can anyone give an indication? Has there been a change in speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭lukin

Yeah fair dues, it's extra few quid in the pocket. Musk is still an a#####e but marginally less of an an a#####e than before.

Advertisement