Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yeah I think I'd rather not bite the hand that feeds me and instead find a workaround

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Then the credit union route will work. I've done it myself just so I can lodge the occasional cash or even cheques. That the latter still exist in 2022 is preposterous 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Don't be combative, link to the central bank site and explain your situation, finance is there to deal with these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭wassie

@Red Silurian there was an article in the Irish Times yesterday dealing with this situation but with Revolut.

May be worth checking with your employer if they can check their payment system for a similar solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm thinking it's the best route but if anybody has a better one that doesn't involve complaining about my employer then I'm all ears

For the record I'd happily make such a complaint about a service provider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I have used N26 for my bank for the last 6 years and never had an issue.

I have a large amont of cash in my account but Im really concerned reading the huge amount of horror stories on reddit about people having their accounts frozen / locked.

I dont believe everything I read online but all of these stories cant be false.

I buy large amount of cryptocurrency from multiple exchanges every month so am nervous about my account getting locked.

Am considering switching my account to an Irish bank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Not the worst idea. I do trust these Fintech banks, but I still keep my big savings with AIB. Only because of their longevity and I've had 14 years of no issues while banking with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

I have been banking without issue with N26 this past few months without issue. I am curious if any of these reports of accounts been frozen actually happened to any Irish customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone got experience of waiting time to open a standard account when in the queue?

I'll take those account closures with a grain of salt. So far nobody in here has stated their N26 account got frozen, did they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Closed and frozen aren't the same. It has been frozen to my relative recently (sole trader) and it's taking weeks to get resolved.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Having one's account closed and having ones account frozen are two very different things. In an account closure you will be given notice of the pending closure and requested to transfer your funds within a given time frame. In the case of an account been frozen you will have no notice, the staff usually can't communicate with you about the action and you will have no access to your funds until such time as the authorities, not the bank, conclude that there has been no attempt at money laundering.

And yes there have been occasions where people have reported their accounts frozen here. I can recall being asked to delete two threads in the last 12 months or so at the request of the OPs on the advice of their solicitor.

I didn't phrase that very well and I stand corrected that it is indeed happening here, thanks for the update!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hi, is there a limit to how much I can move from my n26 account to my b.o.i account?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Q&A

No limit on SEPA transfers.

https://support.n26.com/en-eu/payments-transfers-and-withdrawals/balance-and-limits/what-is-the-maximum-i-can-spend?s_id=175272196

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Just remember that if you withdraw more than €12,500 you are required to notify the German Central Bank.

Said I'd chance it yesterday evening.

Was sweating as it was a large amount but it appeared in my boi account between 9 and 10am this morning.

Sorry only seen this now.

I transferred way more than that.

So what happens next? 😬

Once you get your account statement from N26 check if there is either a warning AWV-MELDEPFLICHT BEACHTEN HOTLINE BUNDESBANK: (0800) 1234-111 or any other remark on the payment.

It's gets a little confusing if you are not a German Resident and beside having a German Bank account you don't have any other relation to Germany (like income or residency).

I would consult your financial advsior/accountant to get a final answer if you have to report transfers between your own accounts or contact N26 and ask them what their advice it.

Thank you

Got onto n26 on chat.

All they said was I'd need to contact a tax agency about the specific laws in each country.

There's a statement up to yesterday available on the n26 app. No mention of anything out of the way on that yet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Try someone else in your employer, is it just too hard for whoever you dealt with first. I was first told it wasn't then suddenly it was fine.

Had n26 as main bank for 2 years- no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Hi all,

Is it possible to use N26 for Virgin Media direct debit?

How do i go about it? I notice online it demands an IE iban..

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Yeah I have Virgin Media, just phone them up, cant do it online

If you are still a customer of N26 you might find a mail in your inbox asking you to validate your personal information (name/address) and additional KYC data points (income, source of funds, name of employer etc.).

As part of their cleanup activity ordered by the German regulator, they are asking large sets of customers to validate their data again, in some cases with documentation.

You will also be prompted to do so in App. You need to do the validation in the app or via a web interface.

For some older customers you might get asked to provide the 10-digit number from the old cards and you might also get asked to upload your passport and proof of address (not older than 6 month).

Deadline seems to be mid-april after which you will no longer be able to use the account if you don't provide the info.

I'm sure shortly scammers will try to cash in onto that wave of validation requests with phishing mails so be careful.

Hate to say it, but if I get that request I'll probably drop the N26 in favour of the Revolut. I've always preferred the N26's cleaner app vs Revolut app which I find to be spammy.

But the biggest thing for me going back a few years was that N26 had a web app and Revolut didnt, as I found using it easier to get statements and do certain transfers/payments whilst I was working away on PC.

However Revolut have a web app now, plus instant transfers are still free from my other accounts and soon they will have an Irish IBAN, so hard to justify going through messing around with N26 any more, especially if payments/transfers get flagged as suspicious and delayed.

Revolut Bank should ask you the same question as they are basic KYC questions, it's just that N26 in the past did not have a very good KYC, which is why they were in trouble with the BAFIN (German Regulator) and even had a special supervisor appointed.

Them asking you should not be a reason to drop them, in fact it might be better do this once and continue to use them rather than the way Revolut sometimes freezes the account when you try to make withdraws for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I agree with you and i think i filled it up ages ago with N26. The N26 app is far cleaner than Revolut IMO. The only reason i would swithch is Joint accounts and irish Ibans if i was to go 100% with a digital bank. Maybe these features will come to N26 in the future.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That is just a standard remark added by German banks. It does not mean any action is required.

Reading through their FAQ, I very much doubt your transaction falls into the reporting requirements.

https://www.bundesbank.de/resource/blob/611818/91551718a7066e282189b917027a4b8b/mL/faqs-zur-awv-zahlungsmeldungen-data.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shanmo

Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to put my mind at rest. How long does it typically take for a refund to show in the app if you've tapped to receive it?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Probably depends on the merchants payment processor - not neccesarly anthing to do with N26

Advertisement