Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Secret Invasion - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Unless they keep it secret! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 85,023 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source CBR

Starring Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Ben Mendelsohn as Talos, Secret Invasion will showcase a faction of shapeshifting Skrulls (initially introduced in Captain Marvel) who have been infiltrating Earth for years. The series also stars Martin Freeman as Everett Ross and Don Cheadle as James Rhodes / War Machine, and will feature Kingsley Ben-Adir, Emilia Clarke and Olivia Colman in undisclosed roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That looks promising! Cracking cast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Olivia Coleman looks to be playing "M" 😄

But does look good, getting a spy thriller vibe off it, who can you trust etc.

Sets a lot up for the next phase doesn't it?

When I read the gist of it earlier in the year, the thought struck me that the Skulls have been taking the place of people with the X gene, (for experimentation or something) which would explain where they have been hiding. Easy to introduce a load of mutants in one go if that is the case.

• Advertisement

I would say so.

I am by no means an expert on Marvel comics but I have read a lot of the big ones can't wait for them to bring the X-Men etc into the fold properly (I am reading house of M at the minute, before that I read Siege).

It is also really interesting how they are going to treat the Inhumans going forward. I know the show was really disliked but they are a big part of Marvel. But they changed the Ms Marvel origins to not include them...so I am guessing the show isn't canon.

Minor spoiler for the recent Dr strange film.

Though black bolt did pop up in a multiverse!

Going for a cold war spy thriller feel just like CATWS and that can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

To save you the click, the name is (he says as he hides it behind something that has to be clicked)

Abigail Brand

• Registered Users Posts: 85,023 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Emilia Clarke is playing Talos daughter, G'iah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure about it; it sure looks more arresting than some of the other MCU shows' pitches - but it'll all come down to the execution. Certainly appears to be talking up a good, conspiratorial and paranoid game. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The only part of the trailer I didn't like was "This war is one I have to fight alone"

Dude, have the last 30 Marvel movies not taught you anything? You're the one who set up the Avengers because you knew people can't always win these things alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"This war is one I have to fight alone ... ... cos the budget can't afford an Avenger".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I assumed he just meant he couldn't trust anyone because of the shape-shifting aliens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was curious to know who's directing this, given it seems a bit less fantastical than other Disney+ projects. Some guy called Ari Selim, whose CV is basically all Television so won't be expecting too much from that front.

Marvel have released the first five minutes

Password

RSD3PX5N7S

I .. eh.. no

Solid first episode Samuel L Jackson and Olivia Colman fantastic on screen together, rest of cast good as well (nice to hear an Irish accent in the MCU - Killian Scott) intrigued to see where it goes.

• Advertisement

Emilia Clarke really isn't a good actor especially when she is surrounded by very good actors her limitations come to the forefront.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Having only finished Love/Hate recently, I have to say Tommy's looking better.

If I'd paid closer attention to the opening credits, I might've guessed what would happen but both of the ones who died were listed at the end as Special Guest Stars.

Post edited by CastorTroy on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I found this all very badly lit and hard to see what was going on except for the last scenes in Moscow in daylight. It was OK but nothing great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It was a decent start, if not somewhat generic. No one was really given a chance to do anything interesting, but there's a lot of promise.

A bit conflicted by Olivia Coleman's character. I liked her performance and like her in general (she can do no wrong after Peep Show and That Mitchell and Webb Look), but her character just stuck out like a sore thumb and not in a good way.

Still though, a lot of promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They are using AI generated content (on purpose and done by a creative company) for the starting credits.

Some digital artists will be looking at it and getting worried. Some will be trying to use AI to enhance or scale their own work or leap into totally original areas.

Will be interesting how it plays out but I hope they realise the genie is out of the bottle and can't be put back in rather than descend into lawsuits (and it's the US so it will be the latter).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Enjoyed that first episode. Great cast and promising first episode... I'm in.

Yeah I saw the showrunner defending it as being representative of not knowing who is real or not, and how it fits the themes of the show.

Even though it doesn't. It was just cheaper. And looks awful, it's actually incredibly bland.

I mean I know they were Netflix shows, but compare it to the opening credits of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, The Punisher, and even The Defenders, and it's just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It was OK, not sure what to make of it yet.

I'm kind of disappointed that this is where they take out Maria Hill, such a good supporting character I'd prefer to see her leave in one of the movies.

Phew! Thought I was going mad there for a second... the whole time I was all like.. this isn't Moscow.. no way this is Moscow.. this all feels like London. All the decor looks like London/England .. or maybe the slightest possibility of New York... but yeah.. London after checking wiki..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Invasion_(TV_series)#Filming

Filming

Filming had begun by September 1, 2021, in London,[51] under the working title Jambalaya,[52][53] with Selim directing the series,[2] and Sylvaine Dufaux and Remi Adefarasin serving as cinematographers.[54][47] Filming was previously expected to begin in mid-August 2021.[55] Jackson began filming his scenes on October 14,[56] after already working on The Marvels which was filming in London at the same time.[57] Filming occurred in West Yorkshire, England, including Leeds on January 22,[58] Huddersfield on January 24,[59] and in Halifax at Piece Hall from January 24 to 31, 2022.[53] Filming occurred at the Liverpool Street station on February 28, 2022.[41][42][43] Soundstage work occurred at Pinewood Studios on seven of its stages.[60][third-party source needed] Filming wrapped on April 25, 2022.[61] Additional filming was also expected to occur across Europe.[33]

Jackson revealed in mid-June 2022 that he would return to London in August to work on reshoots for Secret Invasion, after doing the same for The Marvels.[62] McDonald was returning to London by the end of July for the reshoots, which he said were to make the series "better" and to go "much deeper than before". He also indicated that a new writer was brought on to the production to work on the additional material.[63] Jackson completed his reshoots by August 12, 2022,[64] while Clarke filmed scenes in London at the end of September.[65] Eben Bolter served as the cinematographer during additional photography which lasted for four months.[66]

1: Eh... not exactly a huge ground breaking first episode. Don't think enough has been done over the years for me to build

a bond up with Maria Hill or Ross. Though, I'm not sure if what they showed of the replacement process doesn't mean Ross might still be alive.

The explosion scene at the end.. felt .. i dunno.. felt a bit lazily written or directed or coreographed or something

Ben Mendelsohn stood out by miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats generally been the way with most big GOT "stars". Dinklage the notable exception.

Most of the others have bombed out.

Advertisement