Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building costs. Jan 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the_galway_fry

And me as well please .

Has anyone any ideas on what it would cost for an architect or engineer for a 1 room extension or renovation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Started myself late last year. Am at sub floor stage waiting for block layer to come back and have 28k gone into it. Done it all myself. Was quoted 46 thousand by builder to get to same stage.

Has anyone price per square meter for there house that was 100 % a self build? And was there much diffrence between self build/ contractor? Lots of people on self build on Facebook throwing figures out and there not self builds at all ... they've a contractor getting them to builders finish stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭alan86

Hey rs8, I'm hoping to make a start myself in next few months. When you say you "done it all your self" do you mean you dug foundations etc yourself or that you didn't go contractor route that would provide you with builders finish and you will be bringing in your own trades to do work along with doing any bit you can yourself? Not being smart or anything I have a bit of cash put aside and hoping to make a start with that so I'm wondering is the 28k you put into foundation because you did it yourself or thats price it cost you to bring someone in to do it? Also just wondering what size house you are building? I will be build approx 2000 square foot bungalow. I won't be going contractor route either myself and hoping to do as much as I can myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭obi604

this is where people are a bit flippant with the costs, you are very clear in your statement. i.e. builders finish

some people I’ve spoken to give me costs ex vat (which isn’t worth a sh1te to me as a Joe soap, just give me the actual cost) and then say yeah, you will build that for X Euro a square metre but forget to mention it’s only builders finish 🤪🤪

What would be the ballpark figure per square metre for a finished house including VAT etc etc

I’m hearing along the lines of 2500 Euro per square metre for a standard enough house, is this right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Yes have my own track machine, so far I dig foundations, put steel in foundations, poured them, block layer done footings, I done my pipes/ certified stone/ randon barrier and pored the sub floor. Got this far without touching the mortgage money yet so happy enough. Price quoted by builders was 46 plus vat to get it to that stage.I will be organising trades myself and doing certain things myself aswell. House is 1900 square foot. Again noone can tell me average cost per square foot/meter going self build and not getting a builder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭MacDanger

It's very dependent on how you finish it - you can spend anything from 5-60k on a kitchen, similar variance in bathrooms & flooring not to mention landscaping, boundary finishes, etc.

We're hoping to be finished at around 2200 -2300/sqm. That'll be the house completely finished (but not furnished) to a decent standard and just basic work done outside I'd say

Edit: people giving prices ex VAT is a pain in the hole

understood. its just really hard to figure out how much a house is going to cost with al the variables and differences in prices. And these differene could easily be 50k+ of a variation.

People in the trade are probbaly hard wired to think ex vat but to a joe soap like me, I detest ex vat as not worth a damn to me, just give me what its going to cost me full stop, I don't care about ex vat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well construction output is down again in November for the Euro area prices for construction work will fall or companies in the trade will hit the wall. Just have a look at what the downturn is starting to show - Signature windows going into liquidation. I can see this ramping up anyone getting construction work done will need to keep a close eye on their cash.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058275956/beware-signature-windows-gone-into-liquidation-any-lost-money-to-theses-con-artists-help#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Sorry, only saw your messages today.

Size is 3m, cost I am not sure exactly as I don't have a breakdown of cost per window and door from the supplier we went ahead with but based on a quote from a different provider that did break down costs I'd estimate in the region of 6 to 7k.

We briefly considered folding doors but one factor that immediately put us off them was we have young kids and any of the window suppliers we spoke with advised us to stay away from them as they are a major hazard for little fingers. Aside from that overall the slider looks better and has much more clear glass/less frame area especially as you need to go to 4 folds at our size. Folding is great open as it give you a bigger opening but looks busy closed and lets face it in Ireland it will be closed most of the time. I will PM the supplier we went with as I would prefer not to mention on the thread.

Sound, thanks @SodiumCooled

• Advertisement

Interesting, do you reckon this liquidation mainly as a result of a downturn or could it be something else

I think the crux is that prices have gone up for things like an extension by about 40% in the last 18 months and peoples wages have not come up anywhere near that. In fact over 50% of the working population did not get a pay rise in 2022. Now add in people are also contending with higher prices for food, energy, petrol, etc, you know things that are really a necessity for people to actually live. It easy to see that people see less and less value in getting work like a new extension done and companies IMO in construction will start to suffer a lot more if people are not willing to pay as big ticket items like the extension or car upgrade are first to be put off. This is shown by the fact that construction output has been contracting 7 out of the last 8 months in 2022.

get ya.

Yeah, I mean its just ridiculous really the costs involved in building, it just has to stop at some point, its madness. cant go on like this with everything going up, something has to give

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭alan86

Thanks @rs8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭monseiur

I'm reading this tread with interest, I agree with you 100% I recall when the Celtic Tiger was all the rage, prices were mad, builders dreaming up a number for a job and then doubling it - take it or leave it, banks were shoveling out 120% mortgage. We were on a roll, the good times were predicted to last forever and then suddenly and without warning we woke one morning ......to find the Tiger dead and all it's consequences that we're still paying for.

Another contraction in PMI for construction and the first glimmer of hope as input costs come down in January. With more interest rates hikes scheduled for this year the cost of building will come down as the higher costs to borrow for buying or get work done with the interest rate rises is now quelling demand.

https://www.pmi.spglobal.com/Public/Home/PressRelease/40d6285607ed451cb1f40d6f927e95eb

Post edited by fliball123 on

Nice. Good to hear something positive.

its over 2 months since I started this thread in Jan 2023.

Now we are in March, how are costs looking generally? up, down, same

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

Timber has come down. Start of January got quotes around 18k for roof materials. Order materials last week for 17k.

any other comments

• Advertisement

All materials have come down with the exception of insulation. If the sh1tshow that we are currently living in continues on its current trajectory you can be sure that prices for an extension will be at a lower price point in 12 months time then today.

A lot of people cannot afford the prices so what do they do ? They get a loan and what has happened to interest rates so now loans are unaffordable, if was just the interest rates going up in a vacuum more people could afford but petrol ,heating oil, insurance, food, electricity - ye know the basics to live have flown up and construction costs were first out of the block to go up and the rest of the prices for everything were playing catch up. Now we also have the mess that the banking sector is in and there will be contagion all over the globe so builders not willing to cut the margins will have to look at the big banks hitting the wall if these behemoths can hit the wall so can any construction company or contractor in this country. Throw in the current turmoil of the tech sector that's 2 sectors - tech and banking which Ireland will have a lot of people working within those 2 and there is no way they will be forking out 70/80k for a small extension

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Oil falling back into 10yr price avg territory and gas price falling to july 21 levels. youd hope if all is right that this will feed into prices in time to come aswell... maybe a bit of wishful thinking on my part

Well the issue is if they keep at the current prices people will stop getting work done and that has been the case with regards to construction outputs over the last 9 months and basically there is 20% less construction work been done than this time 2 year ago and when you take that stat with the record amount of new houses being built then its not hard to see that the areas like work in doing extensions have fallen off a cliff

• Registered Users Posts: 4 liprob12

Morning all,

Just about to go looking for builders in wexford and was wondering does anyone have an idea about price per sqaure foot. Building a one and a half story house. 2180 square foot. Nothing fancy at all just a basic build.

This site was updated in Sept of last year and prices of raw materials have come down since so any price above this or if they give you the cost of materials sad story as too why its so high then your builder is taking you for a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm not sure how accurate it is to say cost of materials have gone down since September 2022. Cost of insulation and other products went up in Jan/Feb, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭k mac

Currently looking at a 217 sq metre two storey house, straighforward enough house square shape no bay windows or fancy angles on the roof or anything. A rated, air to water, fully insulated to requirements. It is builders finish plus a bit more in that the stairs are in, and an undercoat of paint is on all the interior, obviously there is no flooring, tiling, kitchen, white goods, doors skirting or architrave. Outside the exterior is painted the kerbing and lawns are in, the driveway is done with gravel and maintenance the front block wall is built capped and plastered, and a timber fence is up around one side and the back of the site (which is large approx .75 acre).

What would it cost if i was to build it to this stage? The asking price is 400k. House is in the country in the west, nice site about 2 miles from a town on the town sewerage scheme (would say to buy a site here without planning be about 60K)

Is this a fair price

did they go up by much?

What 'other products' are you talking about?

We're building a 217m2 house in Mayo to builders finish for 380k (I already owned the site) so that price seems reasonable enough I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Advertisement