Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I can't believe how popular first person shooters are. I guess they shine in multi player ? It's moving a mouse around the screen and clicking on people's heads. Or controller equivalent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You could use the same reductive ‘move thing around and press buttons’ description for virtually any video game ever made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's actually some psychology around it if you studied game design. It's all about the reaction you get from making an input. Point and something. Press a button and said thing explodes in a shower of gore or extends your kill streak. You've got a very compelling dopamine feedback loop. A fps is one of the most basic.

Nothing wrong with fps games it's just most modern ones are so awful lately. The boom shooters really highlight how good a genre it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I don't know why, but I never took to "realistic" (using the term advisedly here) shooters at all. Maybe military shooters would be a better term? I think COD4, the original Modern Warfare, was the last one I played and that was 2007!! But I'd be all over a good FPS with a sci-fi or horror slant. Still waiting for id to revitalise Quake like they did with Doom 2016.

COD is about stress relief for me. I usually play in small sessions, it wouldn't be my daily driver. Quick resume into a game after a **** day at work and shoot some people. It's mostly very satisfying but with the SBMM you don't get a very long run before you're simply cannon fodder for players way better than you. Which obviously does nothing for relieving stress 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I thought SBMM was there to stop lower skilled players from being cannon fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Without knowing who the developer is, it's hard to get too excited but the IP has a lot of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It is but in COD (certainly this year's one), you probably get only a couple of good games and for the next few hours you'll find yourself dropped in with crazy good players who can quickscope and (generally) legally exploit any movement tricks to annihilate you before you have half a chance. The game aggressively looks to ensure you've a K/D ratio of ~1

If you go on a run of good games the skill level will increase significantly (and as a consequence the total gameplay/tactics will also change significantly). It'll drop back down again if you go on a run of being cannon fodder. This is just my own personal experience, I'm not saying this is in fact how they state it works. But certainly seems that way to me. Mostly I'll hold my own, but now and then the difficulty will spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think you're spot on. You can have two or three games where you're having a barnstormer and then suddenly you'll be in games when players are jump sliding around corners, dual wielding one-shot-kill pistols, quickscoping and you start getting picked off within seconds of spawning. I think SBMM is fine where its over a more gradual period but its deployment in COD is ruthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Pretty sure that's what put me off the last few. Well, that and the fact they basically ignore the OG multiplayer mode and everything is tied to f%^king Warzone now. But yeah, getting destroyed like that is not fun to me. It wasn't always like that, not sure why the more recent ones are worse for it, but I always feel like I'm 10 steps behind most, with the odd ok match. That and I'm up against people constantly playing it, using all the tricks and exploits and just a better overall knowledge of the maps, don't really have a hope.

Still don't know why we don't have better dynamic maps. Don't think I even bought the most recent one, just played some free weekend. Standard MP should be free now too, and the campaign should be completely separate purchase of €30-40. Either that, or get back to giving the standard MP it's proper attention, which won't happen because Warzone is still inexplicably a cash cow... Maybe UE5 Fortnite will upset that...

Also, where the frick is Advanced Warfare 2 already! I don't care if no one else liked it, I still think AW2 is the best. Recent rumours suggest it might, might be the 2026 release by Sledgehammer. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ubisoft is no longer attending E3 2023 and will host its own event in June

Last month the Assassin's Creed publisher became the first major company to publicly commit to attending the revamped E3, which is due to take place in June at its traditional venue of the Los Angeles Convention Center.

However, in a statement issued to VGC, the company said it has now decided to "move in a different direction" and will instead be holding its own Ubisoft Forward Live event on June 12 in Los Angeles.

"E3 has fostered unforgettable moments across the industry throughout the years," a spokesperson told VGC.

"While we initially intended to have an official E3 presence, we've made the subsequent decision to move in a different direction, and will be holding a Ubisoft Forward Live event on 12th June in Los Angeles. We look forward to sharing more details with our players very soon."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

No major publishers are going to be there. I've a feeling that it'll be cancelled now, to be honest, there's zero point to it when there's other, better indie festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,617 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

You can watch back over the past 4 or 5 E3's and still get excited about all the unreleased games coming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's kinda funny how out of control this MS/ABK acquisition is getting for Sony. After raising every objection under the sun against it, some spurious, some reasonable, it now seems very likely to go through. The most recent news is that several members of congress (obviously encouraged by MS) are now raising Sony's dominance in Japan during their trade talks, even going so far as to use some of the same terms and definitions that Sony used in their complaints about MS.

Some of their specific complaints relate to money-hatting of Japanese games. You'd wonder if Sony regrets going so gung-ho opposing the acquisition now, what with them having to give MS and the FTC some of their documents in the US court case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony didn't have a choice. This merger going through will drop their share prices which is more important to them than anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s just the US Congress being hyper-nationalistic as always. It’s been clear for several generations - including the one where Microsoft actually put the effort in - that Japan and Xbox don’t mix. It’s a silly, performative action by these congresspeople.

Oh yeah, I meant to put in my post that it meant nothing, nothing would come of it, and that it was all for show. Americans being Americans.

Still though, there might be some regret on the part of Sony, with the big one that, barring the FTC suddenly having a huge change of mind, Microsoft will soon have access to loads of Sony contracts and documents. That's got to be weighing on their minds.

Post edited by CatInABox on

• Advertisement

It's not important in the argument. It's Sony and their monopolisitc policies that they are after. Using their market dominance and massive player base to make contract clauses such as Final Fantasy can never be released on Xbox.

Yes Xbox have been lazy and outright non existent in Japan. But it's still not the point.

As opposed to, say, Xbox buying Bethesda to ensure their games are never released on PlayStation?

Both companies are terrible in their own ways, but this particular action is purely congresspeople engaging in a bit of casual and performative ‘America first’ nationalism. I mean, we’re talking about Microsoft here - a company that has indulged in monopolistic practices outside of gaming on a pretty unprecedented and destructive scale. But for US politicians that’s ok, because they’re American. It’s impossible to take this particular move in any way seriously.

I'm not sure how else you raise the issue except through congress?

I know Microsoft have a history of incorporating features into windows and thereby killing competition. But that is not Xbox and MS were rightly brought to justice on Internet explorer and some others that I can't recall the details on. By politicians.

Being nationalist is probably within their mandate. It's a pity it can be used as an argument against what is clearly xbox's right to retaliate to Sonys accusations when in fact it is Sony, not them using their monopoly to quash competition.

Do we even know if MS are even involved or have these politicians taken this on under their own volition?

If MS are the ones driving this then it is no surprise that the politicians they have convinced are nationalistic. I'd imagine other politicians have much more pressing agendas to deal with for their electorate.

You can't dismiss it based on the politics coming from the different end of the spectrum to your own political views. Tell us why Sony should not be held accountable or have to at least explain and defend themselves.

I'm well aware of the "defending a multi billion dollar company" argument and I really don't care about them as a company. I care as a gamer that Cod and Diablo come to game pass because it benefits me greatly. I also play PlayStation games, lately and going forward from now on always on PC.

I am fully on board and fully believe Xbox and Spencer in particular when he says he wants gamers to play games anywhere and however they want, including PS players.

Sony games on PC has been fantastic for example. They also have their games on Boosteroid, a 3rd party streaming service.

The extra accessibility is the whole point. Sony available on PC and streaming services is a very welcome change from their antiquated business model of restricting access to pump console sales. It is very gamer friendly and as such consumer friendly. I want to play good games, all the good games on whatever device I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

This is definitely a result of lobbying from Microsoft, 6 of the 10 members of congress protesting are from Washington State.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Somebody's after guzzling the XBox Koolaid...

Maybe. I like what they've been doing lately. A lot. It's completely reinvigorate my love of gaming. Yeah OK I sound like a complete fan boy. But I've just ordered my new PC, only waiting on the cpu cooler to arrive and that is where I will be gaming from now on. PlayStation, xbox, Steam, Epic, Gog, GFN, Game Pass, Boosteroid... I'm not picky, give me good games and I will play them. In fact the 2 games I've picked to play first on my new PC are Frost Punk (via Game Pass) and The Last of Us...via wherever the cheapest I can get it. Possibly Boosteroid if they approve it soon.

So 2 games, via 2 competing subscription services.

Competition is good. Multi billion dollar corporation fuelled fan boyism and exclusivity is most certainly not good for competition or gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,764 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

One thing I have absolutely no shame in admitting is that I am a complete Boosteroid fan boy. Love what they are doing, the selection of games is nothing short of superb.

They already have Cod and must be sniggering over all this fuss about it coming to game pass.

• Advertisement

Sega out of e3 now.

Advertisement