Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Sorry for only catching up now, another amazing performance in Bohermeen, such a strong start to the year, you should be full of confidence going forward.

The PB bell will be getting rung again soon, hopefully see you in Dunboyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Mon 13th - Rest

Tues 14th, 15th & 16th - Easy

Fri 17th - Rest - Girls trip to Portugal😁

Sat 18th - Easy miles in the Sun

Sun 19th - Easy miles along the beach, absolutely stunning!

Mon 20th - Rest

Tues 21st - EIM 10*400's

Weds 22nd - EIM 4*1K

Thurs 23rd - Easy

Fri 24th - Rest

Sat 25th - A little shakeout with strides!

Dunboyne 10k - PB Chip time 41:40 😃

I wasn't to sure when I booked this what I was going to expect from it? I hadn't much experience running 10k races, my last 10k time to even go by was a TT in 2020 in the PP where I ran 43:28 so getting a PB was quite a soft option. I was in Portugal with the girls the week before & really wanted to enjoy that so I honestly didn't think too much about it!

The clocks went forward on the Sat night/Sun morning. I had to be out in Swords before the race for an appointment for my daughter at 10 & was hoping we wouldn't be too long so that I wasn't stressed getting to the race, if the appointment had went on I was happy enough just to let the race go! The appointment wasn't too long so we actually got to Dunboyne Primary school in plenty of time. I headed to the start & my OH & daughter headed back to get a coffee & cake. I warmed up & seen D for the 1st time, then I ran into a few friends from work. They are only starting out racing & are always telling me how fast I am, so as they were queuing for the portaloo they started shouting over to me, Elaine Dec to win woo hoo, everyone was in stiches laughing, myself included. D then appeared & I said best of luck to the girls & off myself & D went to try get a place near the top. It was very congested, we were weaving in & out of people until we couldn't go any further! D seen me looking at my watch & joked I hope that's on 100% with a wink, the man beside laughed! (I never understand how anyone can have a low battery going into a race!!)

That was it we were off, Myself & D again weaved around people to try get moving properly, once I was going this felt good. D had asked my goal before, I had said I wasn't really sure, had checked a prediction calendar off my half time so it suggested around 41:30, I thought that was a bit fast myself so decided to aim for about 4:10 average per km. I was hoping it wouldn't be too fast & I could hold it for the race, the 1st few KM's came in at 4:07,4:08,4:07,4:12 & the 5th at 4:05. I knew it was a bit too fast but I didn't really have a lot to lose or prove in this race so I just tried to stay consistent. I felt I was running strongly so just went with it. I ran with D for a fair bit of the race, kinda taking turns passing each other or running along side each other. Got a lovely shout out from my OH & daughter early on which was really nice. There was a chap infront of me & D with a cap on at one stage & D pointed said to stick with him.

As the race went on it really felt like the km's were flying by as I always run races in miles! This felt good, I was ticking them off in my head as I went by & the markers were pretty spot on. I felt like I was slowing a bit which was ok as my average was in around where I wanted it to be. I started running past a few men who I had seen on & off for most of the race, it felt good. At one stage I think I was leading a group of maybe 4 or 5 so defo doing my bit(not that I'd shield much wind🤣) I moved on & still felt good, remember thinking right km 8 is just ahead, almost there. Last KM's came in at 4:09,4:12,4:16,4:13 & 4:04. I started suffering a bit towards km 9 & the chap with the cap was just ahead before we turned for the track. A volunteer shouted keep going almost there, to which I said I can't, I'm fooked, the chap in the cap shouted back, no you're not c'mon don't give up! Right Crazy legs let's finish this I thought, turning onto the track was great as there was lot's of support which really helped! Not the usual kick I have but I tried to run as fast as my little legs would carry me! Over the line with a lovely PB time which despite what my face said(as per A), I was absolutely thrilled!! Such a strong race & an amazing feeling to know I literally had no expectations doing this so to run as well as I did is just the icing on the cake! D came in just after me & I was thrilled for him also getting a PB, good day at the office! Had some chats with A, C & D then a couple of women came over to me & told me I ran a great race, this was really nice & humbling as I didn't know them. The spread afterwards was very impressive, so much food & tea, coffee etc all free. Have to say I really enjoyed this race & will defo be back next year! Overall a really nice day out & absolutely thrilled with my performance!

My plan now is to dive into some 5k training with Leixlip booked as my target race, I will be in the F45 category for this as it's my birthday the day before so hopefully I can put in a really good performance😉

Big huge well done to all who raced yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff. I thought you were noticeably more relaxed yesterday than usual, especially before the race. Seems to works well for you either way, mind! Well done, a really excellent performance. You're not giving everyone the full story here: you were 18th woman OVERALL, 8th in the super competitive F40 category. That is a terrific performance, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Class running Elaine, well deserved. Delighted for you, bring on Leixlip now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Really well done, a great race well ran!

Plenty more to come from you. Good to see you afterwards

• Advertisement

Aww D thanks so much, you're making me blush 😊 you are a calming influence on me🤗

Cheers A & C, really happy with how it went & great chatting to you both! Only remembered now C but my daughter said it was like an episode from friends that you went for a handshake & I just automatically hugged, she was in stiches laughing 🤣🤣

just thinking about Leixlip 5k - its a tough enough route - final K has a decent pull to it - I was talked out of doing it last year by a member of 'Le Cheile' and also a Boards poster.

The Bob Heffernan 5k (Enfield) is on the Tuesday prior to it (not open yet though) - a much bigger field, flatter route and better race IMO.

Followed in early June by Bohermeen 5k - worth it for the BBQ afterwards :)

Keep the St Cocoas (Kilcock) in your mind for late June - a really fast 5k route - also on a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just after I entered it! 🤣 Then again E ran it 30 secs faster than any other 5k she did so it can't be too slow ..

Cheers A, I was swaying towards Bob Heffernan but as S has said I did really well in Leixlip getting my sub 20 that I had been trying so hard to get! So gonna give it another bash, I did the 5k also in Bohermeen last year & the bbq was great but not sure if I'm around for it this year & was also looking at St Cocoas so will probably gove that a bash too😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done - fantastic running !

• Advertisement

I wasn't sure if you done Leixlip previously - just a heads up - but as you've good memories from it - give it another bash!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Super racing E. As someone who really struggles with 10ks i think that was an class performance, you stayed strong throughout it, it just shows how strong of a runner you are 😉 I think I said it before but would you ever think about joining a club? You could really do well with a few other females of your calibre to train/race with and making up part of a team for events too could be interesting for you. Any club would benefit from having you around 🤩🤩

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent performance and very well done to keep it going all the way to the end. 10Ks are a lovely distance to race really, @Swashbuckler of these parts was one person who used to very much favour them. Massive pb there in fairness!

Thanks a mill E, yeah it's not a distance I've ran much at all so really happy with how it went. Every now & then I think about it then I think sure I'm happy doing what I'm doing. I run mostly at lunchtime so not sure I'd ever be around to train with them but maybe some day🙂

Thanks a mill, I'm not gonna lie they scare me just like 5ks do but I surprised myself thankfully & actually enjoyed it(well maybe not the last bit🤣) It was a great race in fairness so I'll defo be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Congrats on the 1/2 and 10Km PBs, fantastic racing/running.

5k specific training 😎

Given the choice of what to do next this is what I chose! My target race will be Leixlip on the 19th of May where I will be running in a new age category of O45 with it being my birthday the day before! So what exactly do I want from this block of training??? The obvious answer is a shiny new PB having successfully gotten myself my elusive sub 20mins (19:33 to be exact) last year. The obvious goal would be to try improve on this but as we all know some things just don't go to plan! I haven't ran sub 20 since achieving this last year (not that I have ran many 5ks) so to know I can do it again will be great. At the moment the things I know for sure, which have been proven in my recent races, is that I have gained some kind of race confidence & I just feel more relaxed going into my races, this is great, I finally feel like I actually know what I'm doing. After a discussion with S it made sense, before I was worrying about everything BEFORE the race, way too much going on in my head but now I manage it all in the moment IN the race. Anyway my immediate aim is to put in a strong, consistent block of training then hopefully reap the rewards😉

Week 1

Mon 27th - Recovery miles

Some easy miles around the block at lunchtime.

Tues 28th - 45mins Easy

Weather wasn't great for this but just got it over & done with at lunchtime.

Weds 29th - W/U, 8*2.5MINS@5K pace off 90secs, C/d

WFH on Weds so I headed over to the usual loop. Was a little nervous about doing these as it was a fair bit zippier than my training of late. Was the afternoon before I got out for these, so amazing having the bright evenings back. Settled into a nice rhythm but there's a section about 200m or so that goes slightly uphill & into the wind so always tried to adjust accordingly here. The reps came in at 6:20,6:22, 6:19,06:22, 6:21,6:22, 6:22 & 6:24. Fairly happy with this, was tough but enjoyable. Met a man I have ran a few times with so he joined me for my cooldown which was nice. My legs really felt this later that evening, looking for sympathy I told S to which he replied, well you have been flaffing around for the past few months😂 That was me told!!

Thurs 30th - 45 mins easy

A nice little plod before a few drinks & food heading to see Ed Sheeran😃

Fri 31st - 60mins easy

Was expecting this to be a bit rough as I drank a fair bit the night before but I really enjoyed it & the legs felt great.

Sat 1st of April - 50mins including 8:45sec hills, jog rec

Headed to my usual spot for the hill reps, enjoyed pushing myself a little faster than 5k pace, concentrating on pumping my arms as hard as my legs.

Sun 2nd - 80mins meet up run in the PP

Meet S & D in the carpark to join D, C, P & K who had started their run earlier. D was in the driving seat with a route mapped out but a few wrong turns were taken😉 Some interesting chats which resulted in D saying Sheep outloud & a poor woman on the path getting a fright, think she may have thought he was shouting beep! Lot's of laughs especially running through the lovely muck on the trails with C wearing his brand new WHITE runners😲 I cried inside for him!! Really great to have company on these runs every few weeks, they really do fly by. Anyone thinking of joining in should come along, always tea/coffee & cake afterwards too😋

39.1 Miles for the week

• Advertisement

Week 2

Mon 3rd - 40mins easy

Tues 4th - 12 * 200m @6/6.05 off 200

Went out after work for this, really enjoyed the fast bits😜

Weds 5th - 40mins easy

Nice easy lunchtime run

Thurs 6th - 8*10 sec steep hills with 2.30mins full recovery

Was off work so headed into the PP to do these. I really enjoy doing these sprints up the hill, always concentrating on working my arms as much as my legs & keeping good form. Nice little strength workout!

Fri 7th - 6*3:20@5k pace off 200m

Off work but was heading to see Peter Kay so wanted to get this done. Set off on my w/u then went to the usual park for these. Settled into a nice rhythm but as I was finishing the 2nd one the lady & son with 2 Staffy dogs came into the park & proceeded to let them off their leads to run freely! I slowed down & asked if she could keep them on their leads while I was running but she just shrugged her shoulders so I left the park, it did make me annoyed but I wasn't staying to argue with her. Finished the reps off in the other park which just feels way more open & very uneven surface but happy to have it done! The reps came in at 6:18,6:26 (dog issues🙄)6:21,6:22,6:23,6:23.

Peter Kay was amazing, one of the best gigs I've been to in a long time!

Sat 8th - Rest(Thankfully😁)

Sun 9th - 80mins Easy

Nice easy miles around the park before some Easter eggs!

Week 3

Mon 10th - 40 mins easy

Tues 11th - 6*3:20@5k pace off 200

Did this at lunchtime & very happy to say I had the park to myself, probably because of the wind & rain but I'll take that 😂 It went well except for me feeling quite uncomfortable, was sure I was coming down with a kidney or bladder infection🙄. The reps came in at 6:22,6:19,6:19,6:23,6:24,6:25.

Weds 12th - 45mins easy

Thurs 13th - 10easy, 25@6:55/7, 15 easy

Set out at lunchtime for this & happy with how it went. Finally bit the bullet & took antibiotics for the infection!

Fri 14th - Rest

Sat 15th - 10*45sec hillsprints

Enjoyed this, made sure the sprints were faster than 5k pace, always get such strange looks from motorists when I just take off up the road!

My daughters 26th birthday💛

34 years since Hillsborough💔 97 Never forgotten YNWA

Sun 16th - Sunday miles

Met S in Tallaght Village & set off on a new route up to Bohernabreena. It was a lovely run, some nice hills & terrain. I have never ran the whole route so this was new for both of us. Passed lot's of friendly runners & walkers, was delighted I had decided on my singlet because it got very humid. Really enjoyable run to end the week🤗

38.8 miles for the week

614.8 miles for the year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Playing catch up here again.super 10Km pb! You are doing so well. We’ve the same birthday. You can do it for both if us on the 19th!!

Laughing at the strange looks from motorists when you suddenly take off up the hill. I know it well. or when you are running through the park and suddenly do a stride as you pass people walking …. I often wonder what they think when I stop 15/20 seconds later then 😂. Do they wonder what this grown woman is playing at!

Thanks a mill, what a great day the 18th of May😁🥳🎂

I often wonder too, do they think oh look at her pretending she can run fast then she dies quite quickly 🤣🤣 honestly I'd say they couldn't care less caught up in thier own thoughts, it's just funny to imagine it😁

Week 4

Mon 17th - 30mins easy

Tues 18th - 10 * 300m @6.05/10 off 200

Nice bit of speed on a lovely evening

Weds 19th - 35mins easy

Thurs 20th - 9*10 sec steep hills with 2.30mins full recovery

Set off after work into the PP to do these. Again I enjoyed these & even nicer with the sun shining.

Fri 21st - Rest

Sat 22nd - Shakeout with some strides

Sun 23rd - St Andrews AC 5k race - 21:30

S had given me the option of a race, TT or parkrun for this so I decided on a race. The instructions were to run it as a hard effort training run. I arrived early on a lovely morning. Set off for a warm up & just didn't feel great, not sick just a bit off but fine to run. Lined up at the start which was in the GAA grounds. A nice crowd but a good bit smaller than most races I've done. There was a 5k & 10k race going on at the same time. Off we went, the roads weren't closed so we were advised to run on the paths as much as possible. I don't remember each k, this was definitely a blur for me. It was one of the strangest courses I've ever run. Across roads onto paths, through estates, up laneways, through a small park then back to the club. It felt quite hilly & just felt tough enough, I ran the 1st k too fast & defo suffered for that. I decided to just keep it at a hard effort, then I spotted two women ahead of me towards the finish so I decided to try get to them, I was just level with them when they continued on around the round about, they were doing the 10k. I turned into the Gaa club & was delighted to see the finish, I crossed the line when a man came over to me telling me I was the 3rd woman over the line! I was shocked & surprised as my time wasn't near my best but very happy to finally have a podium spot & getting a prize too, this was it I was finally living the high life of an athlete 🤑😉 Turns out the race measured long, these things happen!

Week 5

Mon 24th - 35 mins easy

Tues 25th - 5*3:45@5k pace off 200

Did this after work & felt like all the correct efforts were there. The reps came in at 6:20,6:22,6:23,6:26,6:26.

Weds 26th - 45mins easy

Thurs 27th - 60mins with 25@6:55/7

Enjoyed this

Fri 28th - Rest

Sat 29th - 6*2min hillsprints @5k pace

Was out for leaving drinks last night so held off on this for a while. Set off out to the PP & again the weather was lovely. Did these up the Khyber hill, 1st few felt good then they started to get tougher. It was quite busy so I had some lovely comments from people as I went up & down the hill! Then as I was dying on the last one I seen AMK walking his dog, I told him what I was doing as I passed by & he laughed, then on my recovery back down he said are ye only on your 3rd one? I said fook no that was my last one & I think I'm gonna die, a few people around laughed(glad my misery was amusing🤣) Was never so happy to finish hillsprints!!

Sun 30th - Sunday miles - 90mins

A lovely Sunday morning run around Tallaght even stopping off for a little chat with my da💛

Mon 1st May - 45mins easy

Met S in the PP for a lovely run, park was packed as the weather was fab again🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done on the podium place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yes congrats on the prize winning!! More of that to come I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Deadly getting a podium finish and on an 'off' day too, good on ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Brilliant in Bohermeen, Deadly in Dunboyne and Awarded in Ashbourne. You're having a great year 👏

• Advertisement

Advertisement