Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 Continues to support Bombardment of Yemen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No major sporting events should be going there. The missile attack near the F1 circuit is just further confirmation of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

IMO that is not the real issue ..the real issue is people are making serious money from it ..i mean local people

The reason people are starving is because boats with fuel and food have to wait weeks at two diff ports to get in. And they are charged 25k PER DAY for that. Its a money making racket.

One port is own by houthis and the other by saudis. They both charge like 25 per day for a boat being there regardless if it is fuel or food. And of course they mysteriously need to be kept there for weeks at a time. Very suspicious no?

Stopping the bombs is not actually going to get more food in ...i mean yeah we SHOULD stop the bombs ..but the embargo ..is the issue. And the embargo is not at ALL justified by the war ..its just to make money. There is no reason boats with flour and such need to wait for weeks.

Firstly its better if we are at least civil.

Secondly that was not at all my take.

Thirdly what i say is EXACTLY true.

ALL FOOD ENTERING NEEDS TO BE APPROVED BY THE SAUDIS BEFORE ENTERING AND IT TAKES AGES WHY? BECAUSE THEY GET 25 K PER DAY PER BOAT!

Watch at 5.20 the ship owner explains it perfectly.

Yes the war has impacted it terribly. I didn't say it hadn't. But the saudis STOP food coming in to make money and so do the houthis at their ports.

The embargo is not needed ..and it shouldn't take weeks for one boat to get through ONE Port and then weeks again to get through another. It could be inspected in ONE DAY.

Why do they do it ? Because they charge the ship owners 25k per day per boat. And for the houthis ..that is a lot of money.

Yes they need to end the war. But they need to stop the corruption of the embargo and that could be done NOW.

Its a man made famine. And I never said it had nothing to do with the war.

But the war doesn't make the embargo necessary and the embargo doesn't make the WAIT and the 25k per day driving UP food prices and taking WEEKS etc.

The Embargo is just a money making racket and everyone knows it.

And yes the war definitely is ruining the country and without it ...everything would be good.

Never said otherwise.

But these 'ports' should NOT be allowed to operate like this. Not in this situation.

I don't give a bollocks about civility.

You're buying the Saudi story.

It's like saying the Irish genocide is a famine.

Im not buying the saudi story ..i just said the saudis were DELIBERATELY do it to make money from every day the ship spends at port?? Same with the houthis. I also said it was MAN MADE.

And believe it or not ..we call it THE IRISH FAMINE. We KNOW it is a genocide ..but we call it in everyday speech a famine.

The embargo makes ships have to wait for weeks at 25k per ship per day ..and drives up fuel and food prices ..both sides are making a lot of money from the embargo ALONE. That needs to be stopped.

Even if the war stopped tomorrow and they kept the embargo there would still be a man made famine.

d

Is it genocidal ..yup...is it profit driven ..yup ...i mean 700k a day for 28 ships in your port is a nice pay packet for houthi rebels.

That should not say to you that i don't want to end the bombardment. I do but that goes without saying no?

The embargo is the main immediate emergency ..yes the war is awful but isn't that so obvious you don't have to say it? War bad ??

Lifting the embargo would allow fuel in and food and drop the prices of both. But they wont because they are making money.

And yes obviously i would like to stop the bombardment. But that won't end the man made famine. Sadly. Is the withholding of food a genocide ..yup ...

Post edited by ILoveYourVibes on

• Advertisement

After all those letters, I still have no idea where you stand.

Wishy-washy bollocks.

True. Now remember I said TRUE. I agree.

However that is a gesture ....we need to stop the embargo.

I am trying to tell you that no F1 should not support this. However its a gesture. It wont make a real difference . But YES i support a sports ban.

Stopping the embargo WILL make a real difference. Because the embargo ...is a great deal of the famine. Along with houthis not allowing aid in.

And you don't have to wait for the war to be stopped to end the embargo.

Basically what i am saying is you could keep the children of yemen fed if the embargo was stopped. Or at least a great deal of them.

And yes we need to stop the bombardment ...but that is a great deal more unlikely and harder to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@[Deleted User] ”work desperate people to death building World Cup infrastructure.”, I’m sure that you realise that the World Cup isn’t in Saudi Arabia ?

So what is your solution to this war? How do you suggest improving things if the Houthis refuse to sit at a negotiation table ?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

Not a word on Yemen out of the virtue signaller in chief Lewis Hamilton either.

All bought and paid for.

Plenty of mouthing out of him on other trivialities.

He is a hypocrite of the highest order.

• Advertisement

F1 isn't exactly known for giving two sh1ts about people, while some of the drivers might. Personally I believe that sports events among other events shouldn't be held in Saudi Arabia.

Yemen is a sh1t show where the people are caught up in a situation where what are seen as the major local powers are backing the original government while forigen countries like Russia are blocking investigations into war crimes and the previous US administration providing Intel to the Saudi government as well as drone strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Lewis Hamilton said he was "uncomfortable" racing there due to the recent beheadings in that shithole.

Not uncomfortable enough to boycott the race though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Where's the demented ex-priests driving into the Saudi embassy?

No demonstrations outside Saudi-funded mosques? No kicking them out of sporting organisations, no sanctions?

Where are all the Yemeni flag avatars?

Admit it, you'd have to Google it.

Spare me the selective outrage over Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why does it merit a story, F1 has never had any kind of morals about anything but money.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No mention of Iranian involvement no ,?

I've already received a warning.

It's not selective outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭political analyst

I've watched the Sky News coverage of the war in Yemen this week. Here is a special programme presented by Alex Crawford. There are also several articles relating to the coverage on the Sky News website.

We know about the Saudi-led coalition airstrikes but the Houthis are much worse. The Houthis have been shooting civilians in the city of Taiz, even though there is supposedly a ceasefire between both sides, and they are imprisoning local social-media influences who disagree with them and also have had some journalists on death row since 2014.

The Houthis wouldn't have been able to have control of so much of Yemen if it wasn't for support from many Yemeni Shia civilians. How can those civilians have been so stupid? The Houthis are worse because, if it wasn't for them, there'd be no mass-fatality air strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's funny how some people seem to regard wars as one sided affairs. Tucker Carlson in the US is trying to point the Russo-Ukrainian war as something being waged solely by Volodimir Zelenskyy and the US with Russia basically being an innocent bystander.

Some seem to be doing the same with the Saudis ... like the Iranians aren't involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Odd that we don't have Yemeni flags on everyone's social media as that conflict has been going on for such a long time.

The usual virtue signallers don't give a flying flip about certain conflicts and the suffering of people it's not all that easy to identify with in places it's easy to ignore.

Makes me think of war criminal George W Bush getting a rapturous applause from the left when he said what a rotter Trump was. People's memories are short or maybe people dying in the middle east is just "one of those things".

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,646 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Makes me think of war criminal George W Bush getting a rapturous applause from the left when he said what a rotter Trump was. 

He is right do. Trump is a rotter.

Maybe he was a bit jealous too afterall before Trump came along George W Bush was the worst president America ever had. Trump stole that from him so there is that too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Trump is a blow hard moron.

W Bush is a war criminal who allowed 9/11 to happen and then used it as a pretence to kill people by the hundreds of thousands.

One is clearly worse than the other.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,646 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oh yes true but when it came to running America Trump is clearly worse than Bush. Trump could not even get elected for a second term but Bush did but yes when it comes to wars outside America Bush is Worse.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

In every conceivable manner George W Bush was worse than Donald Trump.

Peoples memories are pitifully short in relation to his presidency.

For 9/11 alone he should have been impeached. A "failure of imagination" that American intelligence agencies were sounding alarms about for over a year before it happened. He and his puppet master Cheney appeared at a hearing about it behind closed doors with no public transcripts and predictably faced no sanction. They didn't even set up a commission to investigate 9/11 until victims families demanded it.

The instability he created in the middle east is felt to this day. Every terrorist attack carried out by Islamic fundamentalists in Europe in the last two decades has been carried out by people radicalised by W Bush's war on terror.

The guy was an out and out thundercvnt just like his father before him. Warmongers beyond comparison. Next to W Bush, Trump is a choir boy.

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why would we?! After all, Yemen doesn't have a border with the European Union.

Yemen is so far away!!!!

But we'll travel just as far or further to bomb Iraq and Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its almost like Europeans are focussing on wars in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

trump is a million times worser than bush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Largest Humanitarian Crisis on the planet, but the Western establishments don't care.

They'll only care when the repercussions of this war arrives over here, September 11th style. And it will.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement