Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭kita99

I saw short hilight of above match (vs wales development) in Youtube unexpectedly.It was almost try scenes only both sides. That vedo was too short for evaluating players performance. At last, there was no impressive scene.No 4 player of Wales(LO) was very big.She did't run but jog in all appearance time. Maybe Cahil(munster) is taller and agile than her.She maybe a developing player in Wales.So I wonder that why Ireland not select her and Ormond,Reidy,Scully etc・・・.Suppose there is thought that no meaning is for win this match itself, but IRFU should use stronger players as possible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

IRFU selection policies will never make sense to any of us when it comes to women's rugby, certainly the case for this competition.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i see it as a way to develop the squad depth for the 6N.

Mcwilliams said it himself before the competition that it would be a mixture of established players and emerging players

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

They really want the Celtic Challenge to fail don't they? Wales can't be bothered to stream their game(s) and today's Ireland Vs Scotland is at least going to be streamed but isn't it a wonderful idea to schedule it to clash with the England Vs Scotland men's six nations game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Subscribers Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I never even knew about it, and I'd consider myself to have many channels of communication open for stuff like this.

The pr around these games is non existent

It was an entertaining game bar the long injury stoppage (8ish minutes) and I'm really irked that I haven't been able to find any kind of update on the injury. You would like to think that with the Siobhan Cattigan story still rumbling on thanks to their silence the SRU would have been out vocally at least saying she's getting the best possible care even if they had nothing better to say ...

And of course I also forgot to mention that also at the same time were the WAIL cup series games to try and make absolutely certain there was the smallest possible audience.

I also cringed so hard when during the pre-game set of video packages on stream the IRFU ran their joke of a video about how they have decided they want Sport Ireland's money so they will comply with the requirement to increase the female composition of their board. It's going to be fun to see who they manage to co-opt and trot out to try to maintain the status quo, let's just say I'm not expecting to see that Neve Jones is going to be on the board as an Ulster representative ;)

Conbind team 19 Wales development 0. But it's looked not good game at all. It looked that Joy Neville was fittest in all. In coming 6N, how Ireland deal the games? Why Cahill , Ormond (both Munster) or Maher, Connoley(both Connacht) was not there? If ireland will win 0 match in 6N, who 'll take the respnsibility?

Saw this during the week. It's absolutely terrifying. Wishing her a full recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

final celtic challenge game today

Ireland aiming to go through the tournament unbeaten with a win today

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2023/02/24/combined-provinces-team-named-for-final-celtic-challenge-game/

Holy mother of FSM the Scots are streaming IT and even have multiple cameras, a ref mic and replays! They even had the sense to abbreviate the Irish team to CMP instead of CP ;)

Of course after the last one clashing with the men's England Vs Scotland game this one is clashing with Ireland Vs Italy /facepalm

Great start all around though first try comes from a very generous decision not to call the final pass forward.

Good luck to them. Ireland should hopefully win. In general the Irish team was picked with more experience than the Scottish or Welsh teams who are playing teams that are more picked for development so it should be a win.

We'll soon know real ability of Ireland women's team at 6 nations.

The good thing is Enya Breen's comeback. Lately 7's rugby looks perfectly different game to 15th, so sevens player(although they are in near world class) will not useful at once. And they are so tired after long and hard tour. So Ireland need to make powerfull FW. Is it???? ,

6 nations squad named

12 players will also be in training camp ahead of the tournament: Mary Healy, Megan Collis, Andrea Stock, Emma Hooban, India Daley, Claire Bennett, Katie Whelan, Leah Tarpey, Kayla Waldron, Ella Durkan, Clare Gorman and Aoife Corey.

Ireland Squad, TikTok Women’s Six Nations:

Forwards (18):

Niamh O’Dowd (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)*

Sadhbh McGrath (Cooke RFC/Ulster)*

Kathryn Buggy (Gloucester-Hartbury/IQ Rugby)*

Christy Haney (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Linda Djougang (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)

Neve Jones (Gloucester-Hartbury/Ulster)

Clara Nielson (Exeter Chiefs/IQ Rugby)*

Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird (Old Belvedere RFC/Munster)

Nichola Fryday (Exeter Chiefs/Connacht)(captain)

Sam Monaghan (Gloucester-Hartbury/IQ Rugby)

Fiona Tuite (Old Belvedere RFC/Ulster)*

Hannah O’Connor (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Dorothy Wall (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)

Grace Moore (Saracens/IQ Rugby)

Maeve Óg O’Leary (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)

Edel McMahon (Exeter Chiefs/Connacht)

Brittany Hogan (Old Belvedere RFC/Ulster)

Molly Boyne (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)*

Backs (14):

Molly Scuffil-McCabe (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)

Emma Swords (Harlequins/IQ Rugby)*

Ailsa Hughes (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)

Dannah O’Brien (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)

Nicole Cronin (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)

Enya Breen (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)

Aoife Wafer (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Aoife Dalton (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)

Vicky Irwin (Sale Sharks/Ulster)

Méabh Deely (Blackrock College RFC/Connacht)

Aoife Doyle (Railway Union RFC/Munster)

Natasja Behan (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Ella Roberts (Wicklow RFC/Leinster)*

Lauren Delany (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby).

Ireland Coaching Team:

Greg McWilliams – Head Coach

John McKee – Senior Coach

Denis Fogarty – Scrum Coach

Niamh Briggs – Backs Coach

Ireland Fixtures:

Wales v Ireland, Saturday 25 March, Cardiff Arms Park, 2.15pm

Ireland v France, Saturday 1 April, Musgrave Park, 3.15pm

Italy v Ireland, Saturday 15 April, Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, 4.45pm

Ireland v England, Saturday 22 April, Musgrave Park, 2.15pm

Scotland v Ireland, Saturday 29 April, DAM Health Stadium, 7.30pm.

Who are professional contractplayers with IRFU? (Scotland released )

Honestly, maybe the target of this team will be to avoid tragic defeats at home vs France and England game. And hopefully minimum (at least)1win at away. It's very harsh work.- And it will be said that if they win even 1 game, players do verry well.

At last, it looks 7'stars(Parsons, Flood, Murphy -Crowe, Higins Mulhall etc) are out.

I don't know if the sevens players will join the squad at a later date. They have a sevens event this weekend.

The list of women's professionals released in november are below

Kathy Baker, Natasja Beehan, Claire Boles Enya Breen, Megan Burns, Aoife Dalton, Kathryn Dane, Méabh Deely, Linda Djougang, Vicky Elmes Kinlan, Kate Farrell McCabe, Stacey Flood, Katie Heffernan, Eve Higgins, Brittany Hogan, Erin King, Lucinda Kinghan, Emily Lane, Anna McGann, Lucy Mulhall, Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe, Dannah O'Brien, Maeve Óg O'Leary, Beibhinn Parsons, Aoibheann Reilly, Leah Tarpey, Aoife Wafer, Kayla Waldron, Dorothy Wall

Thank you.I wasn't be aware that. There are some non contracted players in this spring squads and is there some way to be professional if they hope it? No Budget problem? On the other hand, I remember dimly that 29 players of 15th rugby will become pro-contracted players.Is it wrong? I am a bit confused.

Professional women's rugby contracts are Dublin based. Not everyone in the squad plays their rugby in Dublin.

There was initially an intent to offer something like 50 contracts so I assume there's room for more professionals.

That's true.

The professionals have to train in the national performance centre in abbotstown regularly.

I know there's a plan that next season when the celtic challenge expands to 6 teams and 5 games that there would be 2 training bases foe celtic challenge players. Hopefully some professionals would be able to be based in the other training base. No idea where in the country it would be though.

• Advertisement

Lately squads of U 18 girls has been selected for six nations festival in April including 12 Connacht members. I expect brilliiant activity of Roisin Maher(TH) and others.

Of course it's a "premium" article so bound to get as little attention as his epic thread of threads on twitter which have been airing the IRFUs sordid laundry.

Meanwhile Hunter is retiring after England's first game so we presumably won't face them with a team (possibly even entire 23) with less caps than a single player. Packer will be past 90 by then (I'm guessing Scarrett won't be back) but with it being our third game the likely close to 30 caps our team should have added in the first couple of games should make sure we get past her.

Womens six nations 23 vs Wales

Very green 23 named. 5 based in the UK. 18 based domestically.

15. Méabh Deely (Blackrock College RFC/Connacht)(2 caps)

14. Aoife Doyle (Railway Union RFC/Munster)(12)

13. Aoife Dalton (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)(2)

12. Enya Breen (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)(16)

11. Natasja Behan (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)(2)

10. Nicole Cronin (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)(21)

9. Molly Scuffil-McCabe (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)(4)

1. Sadhbh McGrath (City of Derry/Cooke RFC/Ulster)*

2. Neve Jones (Gloucester-Hartpury/Ulster)(13)

3. Linda Djougang (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)(24)

4. Nichola Fryday (Exeter Chiefs/Connacht)(29)(Captain)

5. Sam Monaghan (Gloucester-Hartpury/IQ Rugby)(10)

6. Dorothy Wall (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)(16)

7. Maeve Óg O’Leary (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)(3)

8. Brittany Hogan (Old Belvedere RFC/Ulster)(10)

Replacements:

16. Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird (Old Belvedere RFC/Munster)(4)

17. Niamh O’Dowd (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)*

18. Christy Haney (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)(5)

19. Jo Brown (Worcester Warriors/IQ Rugby)(1)

20. Grace Moore (Saracens/IQ Rugby)(5)

21. Hannah O’Connor (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)(14)

22. Dannah O’Brien (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)(2)

23. Vicky Irwin (Sale Sharks/Ulster)(1).

162 caps in the starting XV is just 24 more than Sarah Hunter. Our 4 most capped players fall just short of having as many caps as the other 19. I make it 6 in the UK and I think Djougang has only played a bit for the Combined Provinces since returning so listing her as OB/Leinster is questionable. 14 of the Wales 23 have wikipedia pages which say they have a combined 397 caps, I couldn't find a list of all the caps easily? Average ages would also be fun! It speaks volumes when even the Delilah banning Welsh highlight our player turnover.

It's been confirmed (for now) the 7s players won't be getting dropped in at any point. If they have a good weekend in Hong Kong to guarantee (or close enough) the Olympic spot through the VIP entrance I wonder if that panic button will be pressed creating another round of chaotic debate. Given the relatively late announcement I wonder if the one bad day in Vancouver (with no ALMC) made the decision.

I'm really fearful we are going to finish last and be on our way to division 3 of the WXV. Even if we somehow catch Wales cold and pull out a miracle win (I can't believe the bookie I checked has it as only a 2 point game) it's still likely to come down to the last game against Scotland as I really can't see us beating Italy let alone England and France. I wonder what odds I'd get on the IRFU withdrawing from the WXV pleading poverty or some other excuse?

I'd love to know the terms of the deals with the Premiership players and to have been a fly on the wall for any of the approaches they made!

The Irish have a slight advantage that a decent chunk of the squad has been together for the combined provinces XV for the last while. I do agree that they will struggle but I'm not convinced that we will be finishing last.

Any word on how the WXV second and third division teams will be selected. It says 2 from Europe on the website. If Ireland finish 4/5 does it get us the qualification for WXV second division?

I'm not convinced we will finish last but I'm also not convinced we won't.

AFAIU 4th/5th go into WXV 2, 6th will go into WXV 3 where Spain will most likely be waiting with the long knives to take them down a peg.

I wouldnt be that pessimistic at all. Yes its not a huge amount of caps but talking about Sarah Hunter... its irrelevant....

Listing Djougang as Belvedere/Leinster isnt questionable because she hasnt played much recently. I dont see us finishing last. Even with some changes in other countries i dont see us finishing last.

We're about to find out ;) I mentioned Hunter just because I'd previously mentioned her as a benchmark of how green our squad is, without the Japan tour we would have a team with less caps than her. The Djpougang thing was a bit of an irrelevant way to point to the disconnect from the AIL and that she hasn't played much recently (hands up though, I've no idea if she had an injury).

The optimist in me says 1-1 with Japan means we probably are able to win against Wales/Scotland. The pessimist says we caught Japan cold in the first game and then they took us back down to our level which is a step behind Scotland (who could have beaten Wales in the world cup) let alone Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Blustery old day at the Arms Park.

I'd love to say I'm not expecting a fair beating here, but I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Fotish

Terrible display by Ireland today against Wales.

i thought that after managing to get the Coach sacked and all that talk about slurry out of the way that they would step up to the plate.

Unfortunately not happening.

Advertisement