Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

Just replaying the game.

As they approach the hospital, they have to negotiate their way through tunnels full of infected, including multiple bloaters, before Joel gets trapped under water in the wreckage of a bus.

In the equivalent scene in the series, they walk up to the hospital and get knocked out by a trio of fireflies.

The bloaters were setup in the second episode with Kathleen. And then we never saw another. There was no big bloater encounter.

They got so much right about the series but half the budget probably went on episode 1.

Ellie assumed it would involve her death, which is why she is so quiet and distracted in the lead up to the giraffe bit. Joel gives her the option of turning back but she says no, she wants to go through with this.

The subtext is, while Joel is happily making plans for their future, Ellie has chosen to accept whatever the Fireflies have in store for her, even if it’s death. When she says they’ll go wherever he wants afterwards, she’s humouring him. In that moment, he is the childlike one, and she is the adult.

“We have to kill her to make a vaccine” is a dramatic conceit. Arguments like “why would you kill your only test subject!” are the worst kind of cinemasins level nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I didn't get that at all. If it was implied, it was far too subtle. I would say she was so quiet and distracted because she was still getting over the horrific ordeal with the preacher. She was also saying we'll go wherever you want after this, to Joel. Certainly didn't sound like she was ready to accept death?

I think a bit of time had elapsed since the encounter with David. As I said, I think she was just humouring Joel. This is all leading up to Joel lying to her about what happened. He can’t admit that the fireflies were going to kill her to extract the fungus and he rescued her, because she would have resignedly consented to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

So she didn't even get a chance to consent to the procedure, that seems pretty unethical on the part of the doctor.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

No shes just traumatised over the whole Joel nearly dying into the whole David ordeal, they rushed through it all too fast in the show, the exerpeince doesnt come across as bad. If you think it was because she knew she had to be killed, she would have went through the same process as they approached the campus where the firefly's were initially meant to be..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think part of it was Marlene; she says to Joel that Ellie hadn't woken up, and that Ellie would feel no pain, wouldn't be scared. I think they (including Marlene) purposefully didn't let her wake so Ellie wouldn't have to be faced with either making the decision or have to spend a while knowing she was going to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

They didn't wake her cos they already made the decision for her. Premeditated murder if you will. Hence the tear gas to render them both unconscious. Time printed a piece about a medical sub on reddit

That's still really unethical, informed consent is pretty high up on the list of rules for a doctor. I'm assuming he trained as a doctor pre outbreak because if he didn't that makes the likelyhood he can make a cure even lower.

• Advertisement

Oh it's definitely unethical, not denying that. Just making the point that it wasn't just the doctor; Marlene would have been part of the decision too as both leader of the Fireflies and someone close to Ellie. The doctor wouldn't have made the decisions he did without Marlene's agreement/approval.

Yeah, but he's ultimately the one responsible.

haha Joels kid gets gunned down by a soldier because they "may" be infected and theres uproar over whether killing a girl to harvest a cure to save humanity without her knowing is "ethical" haha WHAT!

There's a huge question as to whether the cure would even work but no one, here at least, ever said the soldier was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Exactly.

I would say he / they justifying their behaviour because Ellie is seen as the saviour of the world .

But how stupid to go straight in and kill that same person on a hunch ? Bit of a quack grasping at straws .

You would think there were a lot of steps to go through before that particular decision would be even broached .

Ellie was upset after her experience with David and nothing to do with giving herself up as a sacrifice to the Fireflies imo .

She obviously trusted Marlene and wanted to do what they set out to do . I don't think she would be so keen if she knew what they had in store for her . She has fought to stay alive all the way .

I do agree Joel was on the back foot in this episode because he realised in the last episode how much Ellie means to him and by his own admission hasn't felt that way since his daughter died .

Interesting he doesn't mention Tess ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

They used a flash grenade, not tear gas. Neither of which makes you unconscious. It was just to stun them while they brought them in. The used the butt of a rifle to make Joel unconscious.

Ethics in a post apocalyptic world?

Wasn't it shown earlier that there was no romantic love between him and Tess?

I'm not saying they're the same thing, just pointing out that society has collapsed from pretty much the get go of the show and humanity stopped following the same rules/ethics we follow from pretty much that point onward and now its 20 years later. So i just find it weird that people are questioning the ethics of it at this point in the story with all the sh!t they've seen 😁

Agreed, it was a flash grenade. They also didn't know it was Joel and Ellie. It's not like they were expecting them to show up, it was months since the Fireflies had any contact with them. The Fireflies flashbanged and knocked them out as a "take them down and ask questions later" tactic.

As for Joel and Tess, they were together romantically to an extent, but Joel had become so closed off that it never became serious. That's why Bill's letter was telling Joel to open himself up and properly be with Tess, though it was too late then.

• Advertisement

I forgot about the letter from Bill, must watch that bit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,281 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not only did absolutely nothing on screen indicate that Ellie assumed she would die, it was in fact the opposite. There were multiple scenes over multiple episodes where Ellie explicitly talks about and questions Joel about what they would do afterwards.

Your entire premise has been pulled from your ass.

Just because it's post apocalyptic doesn't mean ethics go out the window, otherwise David did nothing wrong.

Society collapsing doesn't automatically make doing bad things right. Unless you take the position that the only reason you shouldn't do bad or illegal things is because of the potential punishment. I knew a guy like that once, he practically wished for an apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Have to say have read some of the game fandom and there are a few differences in the lead up to Joel's massacre of the Fireflies that would have made a difference in whether Ellie might have had a chance to give consent or not .

First is the tear gas . Apparently in the game Ellie nearly drowned in a submerged tunnel escaping infected and Joel saved her and was bashed on the head by the Fireflies when he was resuscitating her.. probably thought he was eating her .

Second Marlene had a diary where it shows she had saved Joel from being killed by them and had regretted sending Ellie off with him and Tess as she thought Ellie would be unprepared for what was ahead of her .

Finally Ellie was given a letter from her mother by Marlene , not just a knife , and in it she talks about her not wasting her life and surviving to make a difference.

These all point to Ellie having a chance to think about giving herself up in sacrifice for a vaccine/ cure .

It doesn't change the fact that the doctor was essentially going in blind to kill a 14 year old girl ..and I also found out why that doctor, in particular ,had to die ..but that's a spoiler .

So the question of whether Ellie should have died or not is not a new discussion .

oh yeah I forgot boards was full of this kind of ****

Well she did think that just rubbing her blood on an infected bite would cure it. So it's safe to assume she probably doesn't think she needs to die to be fair.

That wasn’t in the game. But anyhow, she soon finds out that wasn’t any sort of a cure. I think Ellie’s sense of what studying her might entail evolves over the course of her trip with Joel, and by the end she has realised she might end up dying in the quest for a cure. So earlier examples of her planning for the future, or thinking her blood is the cure, aren’t inconsistent with my reading. The only thing that’s clear in the text is that something is up with her at that stage. There is no more support there for the idea that she is traumatised after her encounter with David, and since the David stuff is never brought up again, I think it’s far more likely her mood foreshadows what is to come than it looks backwards to previous events.

What exactly during the trip would have made her think she'd have to die for the cure? Most of the trip was survival not gleaning any more information on a potential cure. Even when she woke up in the car she didn't question the fact that she was alive just the strangeness of being in a hospital gown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You are way off the mark there .

She was quiet because she had recently very violently killed a guy who tried to rape her surely.

Advertisement