Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car should I get

Options
  • 16-03-2023 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

My Passat is 15 years now and I’d like to get a new car. Just wondering if you can advise?

At the start, I’m looking for brand new but I would not like to spend more than 20k to 25k… but there are not that many NEW cars for that price, are there?

So, if I buy used, what would be the best?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

New for that price would be a Dacia. They have a few different models on their website depending on your needs. 7 seater, hatchback more rugged hatch back with the Stepway and then the main one the Duster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You’d get something like a Focus, Puma, Astra, Kona etc around that price point? Well maybe the more €25-30k range the way prices have gone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you were happy with the Passat you could get another one.

A good second hand one for your budget and you could be set up for 10 more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Need a bit more info,

How many miles you do, have your kids or a dog, is it to impress the lady's or just get from a2b. Do you care about fuel economy. How much car tax can you stomach a year?

20k buys a lot of car if your not hung up on a reg plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

I don’t do many miles anymore. No kids but yes I’ve got dogs. Car tax doesn’t bother me. Fuel economy yes but since I don’t drive a lot anymore it should not matter as much.

My budget just went up to 40k - 45k actually since I spoke to the credit union. But of course I rather not use a loan…

Id say comfort and technology is what matters to me. I’m the type to keep the same car for ages. That’s why I’d like to get one that I really like. Before I got the Passat, I had a Megane that I really did not like - it only lasted 1 year with me.

• Advertisement

It's a good budget your 20k one is pretty decent as well, you don't want a good car outside just been eaten away with depreciation if your not doing many miles.

There's still a bubble in prices out there but UK and NI dealers will be able to sell vat free to the south come the 1st of may which should put downward pressure on prices here. Might be worth waiting for https://www.macintyrehudson.co.uk/insights/article/Second-hand-motor-vehicle-export-refund-scheme-start-date

If you want to buy now, suppose it depends on how you want to transport the dogs...I know some people just stick them in the boot but would they be happier in the back of an SUV or estate. I've a safety belt for my lad so he just sits in a seat.

So imports from the U.K. will be viable again?

Looks like it, you'll need to buy from a garage though. Looks like Irish garages can claim back the vat as well.

Not sure what happens the 10% customs duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If I'm reading that right, it will open up all the non qualifying cars again for a 1/6 of UK retail price refund and then require vat paying on registration here.

Will be a big help for dealers and likely free up stock for import and help prices but it doesn't look like it will be any benefit to someone trying to do a personal import.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Re what car to get, another Passat would be a good bet.

They have finished making Passat. A late version should hold it's value as good as anything.

The Passat from 2015 on was imo a major step up from those before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

If your budget is 45k, then look at a Tesla Model 3. Awesome tech, low tax, low running costs, access to the Supercharger network for longer trips, plus fairly future-proofed compared to buying a liquid-fuelled car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭User1998

Not related to the OP, but according to HMRC, the UK VAT refund will only apply to VAT registered businesses

Used cars and new car prices have taken a considerable swing upwards in the U.K. also. Some of the popular models I remember looking at price lists thinking the differences seemed fairly minimal. Not sure there’s much value but it will help supply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Dont buy a diesel then

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My advice would be not to spend 40-45k on a brand new car you will scarcely use, only to pop the dogs in it now and then. It simply makes no economic sense, especially as you plan to keep it for years and years.

Get yourself a pre-owned Skoda Octavia Estate, petrol, with a decent spec. It will do everything you need and be very reliable, as well as feeling familiar to a Passat owner.

You'll get a 2020 model for about €24k.

i visited 3 dealers today:

1. Kia - checked the Niro and got a price for the HEV - 40.000
    2. toyota - checked Corolla hev as well - same price;
    3. vw - all Golf’s we’re gone!

I liked the Kia but I was just reading about electrical and hybrids and hev vs phev and am a bit confused… not sure which one is best. From what I read, the battery on a hev is pretty small and only allows you to drive a few km like 5km no more than that? A phev allows you to drive 10 times more… and then there’s the total EVs…

im just not sure what’s best in our day and age… no point buying a brand new hev if then I can’t use it in the future )when there’ll only be electric cars) because the battery I’d too small…

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

i'll throw my 2 cents in - the motorbike market has gone nuts, prices of bikes i sold 10 or so years ago are more now than they were for the same year bike. Used car prices are the same, dealers are making a killing with imports from the UK. new bike prices, particularly the larger cc bikes have jumped significantly in price also, just like the cars. ive seen a couple of ppl i know go in deep on a used car thats clearly thousands over priced.

IMO the whole electric car thing is a con, all these 40-150k cars driving around - nobody knows what value they'll get on trade in in a couple of yrs, or where battery tech will be, so id be holding off. Its still an unknown. Adnd we dont have the infastructure, never will imo. They are heavier cars, meaning they've more mass to stop and get moving, meaning more wear and tear, tyres , brakes etc. Two neighbours i know are retired, and canned their elec cars due to the issue of charging when moving around the country and just not really getting on with it , they went hybrid.

if i were to go non petrol, id look at the toyota hybrid myself - which we currently are, toyota are quite experienced with the hybrid tech, theyve been doing it a long time.

Or as above stick with the passat / octavia. if you know what you want sit tight, cars do come up like motorbikes, just have the cash in your pocket, but dont get lured into paying over the odds, set a price point and go from there. If your current car is ok, this gives you breathing space to wait on the right motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I have owned 2 hybrids and 3 plug in hybrids, IMO a hybrid is a 50 mpg car, you might get a few km on battery, say in slow-moving traffic, other than that, the battery is there to store energy from braking and assist the engine, it does it well.

The plug in hybrid might do 50km or less, depending on the driver, you need to charge it to get the most from it, and you need to figure out your commute, no point in expecting 150 mpg if your driving Dublin to Galway every day, it will probably be a little worse than the ordinary hybrid.

Have a look at that, he says it does 5l/100 km on petrol or 56 mpg, so say a 100km trip, 40 km battery, 60km on petrol, for the 100km its 3l of petrol and electricity, works out at 94 mpg.

That overall mpg would improve if more journeys are done on battery and decrease if on petrol, but 50 km range added overnight or anytime its plugged in reduces the need to visit the petrol station.

Or go full EV, Tesla are not so bad value ATM, around 400 km range, not sure on that, not an expert, nor do I see the need to buy one to save 50 euro of petrol every 2 months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Kia Stonic, 1litre hybrid and comes in at about 25k new

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

Just to throw this out there.....................

Consumption comparisson:

a 25k euro electric kia stonic above on their site states 5.6 ltr / 100 km fuel combined, so real world fugures will be less - with 128 gr Co2 combined claimed.

My mk5 petrol fiesta is a 1.2cc - will do 6 ltr / 100 km = 46 mpg, with 140 gr Co2 combined

i really doubt in the real world the kia stonic could beat the fiest on mpg - yeah its more gizmos and looks, no way is it 22k euro a better car imo

Post edited by Banzai600 on

• Advertisement

I love the Tesla 3 as you suggested but its all electric... How much would it cost to install the charger at home then? I know it says it can drive up to 430km when fully charged and it is a beautiful car but I am just not sure... Suppose I drive to Dublin or Galway, then I'd have to charge it there...and Ive heard guys complaining that the chargers often get broken on the petrol stations and they can't use them and if they can use them it may take nearly an hour to charge them... I would rather a petrol/diesel hybrid at the moment because of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Home charger install €500-1000 - just make sure it's done by a proper registered spark, since some homes need minor upgrades to the wiring or the box. Price can vary if cable needs to be run through awkward areas. Get the most basic charge point unless you're installing solar PV.

For longer journeys, Tesla have superchargers - you can just google the locations and see what people say about the network. TLDR: you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You could try this UK import ...

You mean Acura or Honda? I’m not sure we have Acuras in Ireland…

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say that user doesn't know they are on a non US forum or is some sort of bot as the Acura brand is not sold outside North America.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭goochy

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

FFS...

Advertisement