Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rte radio 1

Options
  • 10-03-2023 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

Any idea why radio 1 will no longer works on Google speaker?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Same here. Feed comes from whatever TuneIn are using, and RTE stations are OK on the TuneIn mobile app.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭mobby

Same here, no RTE I or 2 or LyricFM playing on any Google device. Works on Tunein App on my phone with no issues. seems to be a constant issue from search.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gold7

I have had the same problem getting RTE Gold on My Google Nest Smart speaker devices. It seems to be an issue between Google and TuneIn. Hopefully it will be sorted sooner rather than later.

I contacted RTE and they confirmed they are investigating. Cause currently unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sigma101

RTE is losing 10's of thousands of listeners because of this issue. I don't believe they're taking this seriously enough at all. This appears to be their stock response to everyone who has contacted them about it:

"These issues are something we're aware of and we have been liaising with these third-party providers (Google, TuneIn, Apple) to identify what has changed and what resolution can be reached. Unfortunately, we have no information or timeline for a fix"

I believe it has nothing to do with TuneIn. You can bypass TuneIn altogether by using the RTE Radio app and casting directly to a Google speaker. But this also works no more. It's more related to the compatibility of RTE streams with Google Home devices.

I would suggest that everyone affected should contact RTE directly at radioplayer@rte.ie and light a fire under their arses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gold7

It came back late last night on my Google Nest Smart speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭gipi

I tried casting rte radio 1 the other evening from my phone (tune in app) to my smart clock and it wouldn't cast.

yep all back working again for me also. Till the next time...

I see RTE radio is gone again from Google smart speakers ....I tried RTE 1 and Lyric.

The stations will play on my phone in the app, but if I cast to the smart speaker, it keeps buffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 marlayman

RTE radio not working for me either.

It's poor show for RTE to allow itself be lost to audiences using Google devices.

Yep gone again. Seems only RtE stations affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Karppi

I think Occam’s razor would suggest the problem lies with RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

Same for me with Sonos speaker using Alexa - it tells me "RTE Radio 1 is not available on TuneIn Live".

But if I go to Sonos app, I can launch it from there and it works fine.

The impact is the same, but the issue seems to be different. The behaviour on a Google Hub looks different.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,757 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is anyone listening to this former Garda on RTE? Wtf was the actual problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 54,757 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. The most upbeat confident person I’ve ever heard. The intro had me thinking she had suffered terribly in the force. No no. The biggest problem?

She allegedly stopped a person committing suicide and because nobody was jumping around singing her praises she felt terribly hard done by.

Even Justin was pretty much asking “sorry, wtf is your problem?” Attention seeking snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Thanks for the replies. Mine stopped working yesterday and now have no local stations eg tippfm or kclr either.

Crazy

• Advertisement

This highlights a significant issue with the distribution of radio station streams.

Outside of their own apps and websites, broadcasters are dependent on TuneIn and device manufacturers all working together.

We can see that a change by RTE, TuneIn or Google can inadvertently kill the RTE streams for a large percentage of listeners.

TuneIn could also go bust tomorrow. Someone could even trick TuneIn staff into updating stream URLs.

Google need to bypass them and work directly with the main broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

True...

This article explains how all Reciva Internet radios had to be binned in 2021, when their aggregation platform (Qualcomm) shut down. It could happen again where the hardware manufacturers and the distribution platforms, are two separate operations.

Apart from total shut sown, there have also been occasions where one change by one of the many parties separately involved in providing streaming radio services, has caused difficulties for the end user - that sometimes took a while to identify and resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Rte not working on Sonos. Working ok on TuneIn app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If you add RadioPlayer as a service you can play the RTÉ stations through that on the Sonos.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Thanks a mill for that. Will try it tomorrow when back. It's a pain not having it on the Sonos app

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Glad to hear it. Hopefully they stay on there for awhile.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement