Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Often becomes easy when the easy is often..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thank you v much K. Wrote that last night with some post race beverages on board, all emotional.

That race does that to me haha.

You're right, it's magical and a lovely way for me to remember her each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Wow - heartbreaking story. Amazing to have that picture - I just went to your Strava to look at it again.

Well done on a great performance - pity I missed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Put life in perspective really doesn't it. We do this running lark for lots of different reasons for each of us however that special connection to this race is something else. I've very happy for you that you have it, on Sybil's anniversary, to be out there as a family and celebrating and remembering her, hard and emotional as it must be, it can only lift you and help to keep her close to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

First off big huge well done on that PB, so so thrilled for you. What I genuinely love about you is that you are not afraid to take risks & you put a target down & really go for it. It doesn't work well for some but god it really works for you. You are such a positive person too, it's contagious being around you, life isn't easy & we all have our own special stories which helps us with running etc. I remember you telling me about how special Raheny is to you & that's amazing that you have it to reflect on your baby girl but also doing something you love so much & getting your PB's in the race is just the icing on the cake really!

Was an absolute pleasure having yours & Judys company yesterday & I owe you a drink or some chicken wings next time😉 Big huge congrats to Judy too, great day for you both!

Thank you so much guys, you're hitting me right in the feels 😊

• Advertisement

Sorry K, I totally missed your post for some reason.

Judy ran it last year for her first time.

It's kind of a strange one, we both have different ways of remembering her, while she's soppy in other ways she doesn't get as soppy about Raheny as I do.

She was delivered on Feb 4th so we'll have a birthday party next week with a cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ah, I'm around long enough to remember your story and association with the Raheny 5. Beautiful. Congrats on a great run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's great racing, well done on the PB. You're going from strength to strength.

I remember the story of your daughter from before and think of it everytime I see your Strava picture. It is of course such a sad story, but there is something very special about that picture. February 4th is my daughters birthday.

Thanks very much guys, you're all so super sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

C, I was aware of the story and the loss but hadn't realised (or registered) the deep connection to Raheny, and I'm even more happy now that you had such a great race. E is right, your positivity is great to be around, long may it fuel your running and no doubt all the other aspects of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done on a fantastic race Conor. It was something else to be right behind you all through and witness both the early cruising and then the very apparent fight and grit to hold it together to the end. Truth be told there was more than one time I thought you were about to explode as I couldn't see how you could repeatedly fight to pick up the pace again.

Great to meet up with everyone afterwards. It was definitely one of the best post race chats and beers.

Thank you D, I love meeting up with you at events, as S said, those post race beers and chats were fantastic. Maybe we should make it a best of 10 so we can do that more often 😁

Nice one Sean, you made my day yesterday giving me praise. Feel I've made it lol, you don't dish it out like candy 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yeah I suppose I'm a bit of a bolli* but I won't change 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Ah you may be an auld bolli*but you are our auld bolli* 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ah C bless, any time I hear the name I think of your little angel. I hope ye have a lovely celebration on Saturday to mark her special day.

You are just a ball of positive energy, amazing and inspiring, don't ever lose it!

Only went and did it.

1:29:35

Am in shock.

Will post up some details later hopefully, when my head stops spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah brilliant C. Delighted for you. Looking forward to reading your report.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The power of positive thinking. And excellent training. Very well done.

• Advertisement

Bohermeen Half, and build up

(if TL;DR, skip to the next bolded bit)

I regret not keeping the log updated during the build up to today. I usually do so on a Sunday evening but have found it incredibly difficult to find time with such a busy house, and work being bedlam.

I signed up for Bohermeen on St Stephen's day, 12 weeks out, 12 weeks to play with, full of optimism, full of bold optimistic sub 90 statements. I got sick then and was sidelined for a few weeks. Sub 90 was shelved then in my mind. A PB though was surely doable, was still confident of that, and that was good enough.

Sean has been banging on about the Grads plans for years, and although I trusted him in that they were good, I had never followed one, nor never really delved into them. Mentoring the Grads thread though opened my eyes more to them, and I realised how brilliant they were. Plus, I couldn't really advise people to follow plans that I wasn't following myself so I decided to take on the 10k - Half plan for Bohermeen.

Sessions on Wednesdays and Saturdays, a long run on Sundays and easy Tue and Thur.

I got all the sessions in but missed the odd easy run, and ran about 70% of the prescribed overall volume.

The key session for me, Wed before last, was a 2x 20 min @ HM. I went to bed early on the Tue evening previous and got up and out for about 6:10am. Drove towards the canal and parked halfway there. Pitch darkness. Ran the mile or so to the canal and a little bit more to warm up then set off on the speedy bit. Felt so amazing after it. On the cool down jog back to the van I felt so on fire. At that moment I decided a sub 90 was possible.

I chatted to @scotindublin over whatsapp and told him that I felt it could be on, but was afraid to tell anyone else. I actually somewhat regretted sending C the message as I only half believed it was doable. Could I really hold 4:15 pace for 21k? Went through stages of saying 'not a hope' to 'sure you held 4:04 for 5 mile, surely you can hold 4:15 for 13' back to 'not a bleedin hope Conor'

Ran a tune up 5k then last Saturday week at Corkagh parkrun and ran my first ever sub 20 on that course, 19:52. When I ran 19:36 at Jingle Bells my equivalent effort time at Corkagh was 20:16 so things were looking good.

Confidence through the roof coming in to this week. Shattered somewhat with a lacklustre Wed mini session, and a developing head cold. A fantastic run then on Thursday night in the sleet and rain and cold and wind and dark with Dark Side Of The Moon in the ears. The most sublime soundtrack to running in the dark and the cold and the rain. The endorphins and the hopes buzzing again.

Been listening to Dark Side Of The Moon a lot lately, played it loud on my way to Bohermeen this morning. This line from 'The Great Gig in The Sky' stood out to me, has stood out to me, but echoed this morning....

'I'm not afraid of dying, any time will do. Why should I be afraid of dying. There's no reason for it'

Bohermeen Half 2023

Murph has hit on something there, 'the power of positive thinking'.

I feel it really is a thing, something we can all use and exploit. I went in there today off the back of a really good session (the 2x 20min HM) with a feeling like I could do it, a belief I could do it. That Pink Floyd line made me think 'F*ck it, so what if I don't and I die out there, so what'. Positive thinking made me go aggressive at it and it paid off.

Met up with @Laineyfrecks for a warm up, we did a few laps of the track. She was in really cool relaxed form, also full of positivity. We were buzzing off each other, relaying race plans like excited schoolkids.

Mile 1 - 5

Really congested start, first km was tight but it soon opened up, E and I parted company 800m or so in. First km was behind target but accepted. Settled into the right pace then, the 90 pace balloons about 200m ahead. Kms ticking off nicely on target. About 4 miles in was one of the toughest parts of the race for me, mentally. Pace was fine, was the idea of how long was left to go. Some windy bits that I tried to shelter behind big lads from, didn't really succeed much.

6 - 10

Things started to get so much easier here mentally, I had picked out this girl and set my sights on her for about 2 miles. I caught her and the two of us ran stride for stride for about a mile. I found my confidence lifting, and the effort feeling easier. I started to notice that most people around me were breathing heavily and I was silent, adding more to my confidence. I left the girl and took off and started picking people off. Realised that they were all part of the thinning 90 group that was still 200m ahead. I knew I was on for a sub 90 if I could hold the pace, and also knew that 200m away from the 90 balloons was fine. Some definite bouts of mental toughness here though, during which I kept thinking of @skyblue46 , S was running his own half in The Hague today, but I thought of him and how disappointed he'd be if I gave in, so I dug in.

I had visualised some 10 mile marker scenarios in my head, and how I would react to them. Pretty much happened. Looked down at 68:25 for 10 mile and dug deep for 5k.

10 - finish

I knew I needed to run a 21:20ish 5k from here. Breathing had been relatively controlled up until now. Starting to pant now. Still picking people off though which was amazing. Just got into a headspace, 'this is just a tough 5k, keep it up. 4:18 the target'. First km (km 17) is 4:19 and I feel some negativity slipping in. Pick it up then, km 18 beeps 4:13, pass the 11 mile marker, 3 bleedin K to go, keep it up.

Calfs beginning to burn. Some fleeting thoughts of giving up now, but put them to bed. Km 19 beeps in at 4:10 and my brain fist bumps itself. All I remember now is waiting to see that km20 beep so I can muster up a kick. It beeps 4:14 and I know I'm probably going to do it. Don't manage much of a kick, in fact it's pure pain at this stage, agony. But that's good. If I wasn't in agony at 12.5miles it's not worth it, and that thought gave me a boost, ironically.

Came up the hill towards the entry to the track, and I hear the announcer on the mic for the first time, honey for the ears. Crowds are great here, roaring encouragement.

Turn in to the finish track with the gantry in sight, it's reading 1:29:5x and counting and I find a last kick, a sprint to the line. Go under in 1:30:04. I hadn't looked at my watch since mile 10 other than the splits. Took about 10 seconds to finally look at it and jumped for joy to see 1:29:35.

Fell onto the track then in a heap to catch my breath. Left absolutely nothing out there.

A truly perfect race, I'm so so happy with what I've achieved at it. A pipe dream a year ago.

Believe. Believe. Believe.

Risk dying out there, because you know what, so what.

Chip 1:29:37

Onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I knew your report would be brilliant. Love it Conor. I love how positive and full of life you always are but how you talk about the pain and fleeting thoughts of giving up too. Brilliantly run race. Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great race report . Well done ! Great positive mental strength . What you think of the course - i have did that race a few times now and like the course but I’ve read a few posts saying difficult course and can’t figure out if sarcasm or not !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Class effort I knew you could do it. Delighted for you.

Thanks very much guys, I'm still buzzing after it.

@Bluesquare I really liked the course, a couple of drags that were fairly harmless I felt. The wind was certainly an issue on some of the more exposed parts but I wouldn't complain about that. Really loved the finish, it seemed to appear earlier than I expected which is always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

It’s one of the only races I have done that seems to be fairly close to the garmin distance - so it ends when it should lol ! I got tucked into a pace group so barely noticed the wind 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great stuff and smashing racing. I saw your fast finish and gave your name a roar as you crossed the line incase u were wondering who it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Absolutely delighted for you C, you have trained well & believed in yourself which has given you the result you dreamed of!! It was an absolute pleasure to be a small part of it😊 Enjoy the BUZZ🤗

You're a sound man D, pity I didn't see you afterwards. E and I were in a bit of a daze with the buzz of it all.

• Advertisement

It was so so nice to be able to talk to you beforehand and celebrate right after. You're top class company 😊

Advertisement