Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I wouldn't want Russell particularly, but this is completely over-egged. Does he kick small dogs as well? I

I hear he has a "I Am The Best And I Hate The Rest Of Youse" T-shirt.

Every week he picks a favourite on the Scotland team and ostentatiously gives them -and only them - a bag of Haribo in front of everyone else. Doesn't even explain himself.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Russell wouldn't even be in the squad. Ireland wouldn't put up with his disciplinary/attitude issues.

Conversely, if he was playing for Ireland and knew he wouldn't get away with it, he probably wouldn't act the dick to the same extent.

(On pure ability, he'd definitely be there)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don't want to be the guy slagging RB, but I'd contest some of this tbh. Particularly the 2nd one tbh.

Lowe's disallowed try - Byrne attacked the line from a breakdown, committed defenders, and passed to Aki who offloaded to VDF, Keenen, then Lowe.

The ball is gone here and his hips are square with the touchline. He hasn't committed anybody, all Italian defenders are still on their feet, in the line.

Ryan try - Byrne & McCloskey attacked the line on the openside as a diversion to commit defenders and create space for Ryan, Lowe, and Aki to attack the blindside.

Casey has the ball. RB is facing the wrong way. I think crediting him with committing defenders on this phase is being extremely generous to him tbh.

Keenan try - Byrne attacked the line from a lineout and committed defenders, creating space for Hansen coming off his wing who passed to Aki who broke the line.

No disagreement here. He committed a defender well and threw a nice pass to Hansen (who himself threw a lovely pass).

Aki try - Byrne attacked the line from a breakdown and offloaded out of a tackle (in which he was hit hard) to McCloskey who passed to VDF, Lowe, and Aki to break down the blindside.

The pass was well gone before the tackle so it wasn't an offload out of a tackle, but I'd agree again here, he committed a defender and did well.

And in the main, I'd agree with the rest. Fwiw, I think he was much better than in his previous starts (admittedly those being against a significantly better England team).

For me, RB is a facilitator. He did it pretty well against Italy to be fair. We obviously also saw some of the negatives to his game too. But I also think it's fair to say other players all had more important attacking involvements in all of the tries too. I think that's exactly what I would expect going forward too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Tackler committed is enough. Outside defenders know they have a decision to make. Rb is not quick but he's strong enough to make the gain line. Front foot ball.

You don't have to be Usain bolt to concern defenders. Drag them in.

Plus he's a good defender. Not going to be worried about the back three of the scrum running at him. He'll at least slow them down. That is all that is needed.

Perfect 10, certainly not. Good enough for 2nd in Ireland, certainly.

He's not guilty of anything other than mouthing off at his coaches in public, being sent home from camp and not being picked because of his attitude. Nothing sinister but enough that when you hear the Irish players talk about the environment in every interview, you don't want to introduce someone into a pivotal role that won't show leadership, isn't a team player and creates a schism between coaches and players.

Despite his talent, he's not Loreal, he's not worth it. I read that his partner had a child recently, often a maturing event for a person so hopefully that might be the case with him, but for now - wouldn't want him near team Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Did he go out drinking and break team protocols during Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Is Prendergast not a bit static? He seems to stand still when he passes the ball. Maybe I'm wrong, but even if I'm not I'm sure it's something that can be worked on. He certainly looks very talented, but he obviously has along way to go, but should be very much a contender.

Post WC, if Sexton is still playing and is still well ahead of the other contenders then I'd play him in the 2024 6Ns. The 2024 6Ns will have bugger all impact on the 2027 World Cup so continuing with Sexton would be alright with me if he is the best man for the job.

That said I suspect he'll retire after the WC and if he doesn't his body might force his (or the coaches) hand, there is bound to be one hell of a come down after the WC irrespective of how Ireland do for him.

I hope he does for his own health. He owes us absolutely nothing. I didn't think a player could surpass bod, but I'm in two minds now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭fitz

If we were to win the World Cup, I'd expect it'd be Sextons final game. He'd have achieved pretty much everything possible for him...can't see why he'd continue instead of going out on the ultimate high.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect he'll retire too but I agree with you in general.

On Prendergast, he's a stupidly massive human being for a flyhalf and I think that is part of why he at least looks static while passing the ball - but he is able to pass out of the tackle and right on the defensive line due to his size. But he's playing U20, who knows what will happen. I think he has what it takes, but there is a lot of scope to be wrong there - for what its worth I haven't been this sure since seeing Furlong at U20 level (I was more sure on him, he was stupidly good).

No matter what happens he's 2 years at least away from Ireland anyway.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

IMHO BOD is well in the rear mirror. Sexton is the greatest ever Irish player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Sometimes at Under 20 you can just see that a player has it. Doesn't mean that there aren't others at that level who can and will also go on to have excellent international careers, but sometimes, every few years, you just have someone where it's obvious that they're a level above.

Despite the success of the Ireland Under 20s across the last five years in the six nations I've generally seen a lot of potentially capable future internationals but, before this group, no one absolute standout. But I do see it in Prendergast, he is just a level above. As much as there's an argument about who replaces Sexton after the World Cup, I think it's only going to be an argument for about a year.

In the professional era we've gone relatively seamlessly at 10 from Elwood to Humphreys to O'Gara to Sexton. There has always been the next one there waiting to take over, usually with a couple of years of crossover during the transition. This time it looks like there will be a brief gap. But beyond that gap I'm as convinced as it's possible to be about an underage player that Prendergast will then take over the jersey long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Harry Byrne and JJ Hanrahan too

From memory Jonny Sexton wasn't outstanding at U20s (or U21s as I think it was when he played).

I remember watching him play Wales at U21 level and thinking I'd just seen a future Lions 10...that was James Hook rather than Sexton!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Much as I’m very excited by what I’ve seen of Prendergast so far. The one caveat would be, he has had an absolute armchair ride for most of this campaign. Due to the pack in front of him. Who are big, strong, athletic and intelligent rugby players. So time will tell. Though then again, he will be playing behind Leinster packs from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,924 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's one of our great victories considering the circumstances. So many injuries up front and especially with no recognized hookers.

Next week will be a huge challenge however. Sheehan, Kelleher, Doris, Henderson and Ringrose will most likely be missing and England will want to make amends for their humiliation against France.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Have Healy start at 2. F*ck it.

What a stalwart btw. One of the best looseheads we'll ever see, then switching to cover tighthead in the twilight of his career and then playing at hooker for the first time in nearly 20 years in a Triple Crown decider, while keeping scrums contested.

That was a really impressive win given the circumstances. I thought we were toast 6 or 7 minutes into the second half.

The mental strength of this team is exceptional.

I guess we'll see if any of the injured players today are available next week. Given Doris and Kelleher played on for a bit then maybe they were impact injuries that the physio can deal with?

Did Doris get injured when he went for the ball off the quick lineout that led to the disallowed try? I thought it was a questionable enough challenge on him.

Hansen and Lowe were exceptional today. Gibson Park makes such a massive difference to the team and how good was Conan when he came on!

The injuries might help focus minds this week though and instil a little bit of fear which is no bad thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Reminds after the France victory at WC '15 , the dfference this time we have strength in depth, England will be up for it given yesterday humiliation , expect a tougher game than today.

Next week will be a challenge, in particular with the injuries. But let's not forget that England DID get humiliated by France. They got beaten out the gate because they're not a great team, have serious issues in defence and don't seem to have a clue what their strongest 23 is. Their backrow were appalling against France and if it's the same 23 then I think we'll put the hurt on them. If Borthwick makes a lot of changes that creates additional problems not just with continuity but with team cohesion. Anyone he drops becomes a scapegoat - they really aren't in a good place and we should have a strong enough 15 to pull the game away from them in the first 50.

Even with injuries we can still get a very good side out

Porter, Herring (Sheehan may be ok), Furlong

Ryan, Baird

O'Mahony, Conan (sounds like Doris is ok), Van Der Flier

Gibson Park, Sexton

Aki, Henshaw

Lowe, Keenan, Hansen

Questions about the bench obviously

Who covers hooker if Herring starts? Big game for Stewart to make his debut in so I suspect they'd go for Heffernen.

Who is second row cover? Treadwell maybe? McCarthy? Maloney?

Presumably Coombes move to the bench if Conan starts and McCloskey probably wears 23.

So hooker cover and second row cover are the big areas of concern but that's because we are down to 4th choice picks. Pretty much any team in the world would be into the unknown or inexperienced in that scenario.

England are nowhere.

I expect a bonus point win. Complete shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,924 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

VDF, POM and Baird deserve a lot of credit for our lineout performance once we lost both recognised hookers. The latter both possess an excellent jump and can get off the ground so quickly. Scotland knew exactly where we'd throw, but the two lads were up so fast that they couldn't steal the lineout.

Different day, different game. Nothing can be remotely taken for granted.

• Advertisement

Why didn't Scotland just throw someone up at 2 every single time from the moment they saw VDF throwing?

We probably stole as many of their lineouts in that second half. VDF and O'Mahony were immense, the lifters too. The whole lineout unit really stepped up to the plate.

Advertisement