Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yuusha, Yamemasu took a very interesting turn there. I've enjoyed the build up of the history behind it all and episode 9 is making that background very interesting to me and they really turned a lot of troops on it's head through out the series in a nice way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well winter season is well in swing; currently watching (and dumped several other series a few episodes in):

Mononogatari

Eiyuuou, Bu wo Kiwameru Tame Tenseisu

Ningen Fushin

Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi

Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei

Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! (Continuation from the autumn season)

Bofuri S2 (Because who can't want an impossible strong fighting duo :P )

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko!

Ooyukiumi no Kaina (On verge of dropping if the story don't start to go somewhere...)

Spy Kyoushitsu

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka S4

Hyouken no Majutsushi ga Sekai wo Suberu (also about to drop, way to static story but last episode gave it some hope)

Isekai Nonbiri Nouka

Sugar Apple Fairy Tale

Kaiko sareta Ankoku Heishi (30-dai) no Slow na Second Life

Otonari no Tenshi-sama ni Itsunomanika Dame Ningen ni Sareteita Ken

Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha S2

Saikyou Onmyouji no Isekai Tenseiki

Rougo ni Sonaete Isekai de 8-manmai no Kinka wo Tamemasu

Nokemono-tachi no Yoru

Benriya Saitou-san, Isekai ni Iku

And while not necessary winter season, Record of Ragnarok season 2 (yes, it's as good as season 1 so far and at this rate we should have at least two more seasons to look forward to).

Post edited by Nody on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm annoyed Tokyo Revengers has gone to Disney+

For anyone watching Record of Ragnarok (and if you're not, you're crazy...) be warned there's a 30s ending after the credits in season 2, episode 10 that's simply brilliant set up for season 3. It's likely to be included in the recap or similar but why miss out now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,840 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hi forum, might be my first time in here.

Just wanted to stop by and give Gundam: The Witch From Mercury a "Five outta Five!"

🤭

At least in the US, it's streaming in a few paid places as well as for free (the whole thing!) on Youtube via the Gundam Info Channel.

• Advertisement

It was good but I found the story to be uneven in it's pacing and execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah, it's available on Crunchyroll here and on a 3 month delay on the Gundam Info YouTube channel.

I think it might be a bit like 00 where it really start until the second cour. I'm curious as to whether some of the inconsistencies are actual mistakes or something intentional.

That's so normal for a Gundam show tho :) I find it better than most either way, I like it a lot more than I did Iron Blooded Orphans.

Which inconsistencies are you talking - I only caught the time of the prologue vs the "21 years" regularly mentioned elapsing since then, with the students all being around 17 (presumably). They briefly foreshadowed/red-herring'd in #6 she might not be the same girl from the prologue after all. There's also a companion read I haven't gotten to yet called Cradle Planet but based on the first chapter of it I did read, it's narrated by the Aerial Gundam itself and might address some of the unknown.

• Advertisement

I'm keeping attention for that, it seems too glaring and repeatedly mentioned to be a gross oversight in the writing.

Gundam has overlooked some key things in the past. In Gundam SEED they were putting the pieces in place for a pretty big battle and then they removed a character from the opening about three episodes before they died in the battle. In SEED Destiny they unmasked a masked character in the opening a few episodes before the big reveal, it was pretty obvious who it was but still.

Sort of a WFM spoiler

I've seen speculation that "if you run, you gain one, but if you move forward, you gain two" is a kind of trigger phrase for Suletta that, among other things, lets her swat a guy without remorse.

I'd keep a look out for the Real Grades when thay start to get released. They're still 1/144 but way more detailed than HG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Attack on titan returned yesterday ,1st episode is an hour long and certainly sets the expectations high for the final season

Mod:

Dear all I've split out the discussion on the physical Gundam models to this thread.

Back to the anime talk - Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky, was just fed to me on my youtube algorithm. God damn. I ordered the 4K UHD Blu Ray, its a good standalone with very stimulating visuals. I don't think the link was legit, otherwise I'd share it but it was the english dub anyway.

Made me want to see if there were other 4K HD gundam releases... you can find Awakening of the Trailblazer on amazon usa for over $200 :o and I paid $50 for Thunderbolt, and I haven't dealt with customs yet if any.

Me and the wife were discussing some of the absurdities in gundam and that brought us to discussing the strong 'weeb' vibes of gundam seed. I was looking up how to watch it these days and I saw the HD Remake does a lot of changes that seem crap (eg. **** with and dumbing the music choice at the end of the first episode, for no apparent logic) so I actually went and found the OG DVD volumes and started buying those used now, before they become too obscure to find anymore. She's had the first 5 episodes and didn't hate it as much as she thought she would after being completely hooked on Witch from Mercury. It's still not something that aged as well as it could have in my opinion especially all the cut and drag animations 🤣

If you can find it at a reasonable price Anime Limited have Ultimate Edition releases of Seed(oop) and Seed Destiny that contain both versions on blu ray, the original is standard edition on bluray but is still much better than the dvds due to more modern compression.

SD on BD is a godsend for long form series with no HD masters, I have all of Fist of the North Star on a 3 disc set. That series is just over 150 episodes long.

Stock of Seed UE here.

This website is run by Gundam Mad, who used to come over for Arcadecon, Nomcon and Eirtakon. You need to email them wrt shipping outside the UK though.

I’ll check that out there was already a hard scratch on disc 1 I had to forward over some more recycled combat footage to get it going again 🤣

Ouch, dvds are so fragile in comparison to blurays. Unfortunately both are still susceptible to disc rot, I had that happen with one of my Zeta Gundam dvds.

And the hits keep on coming.

I looked for the ultimate seed blu ray and its... way too pricey. Still buying used DVDs and came upon this amazon buyer - now this chucklefuck wanted 3 different shipping charges for what could have been sent in 1 flat rate box. But whatever. I get sent Volume 3 - not Volume 2, volume 3. This is like my childhood all over again, not owning Vol 2 (my friend did) and Amazon is like "uh we sent you Vols 2, 3 and 4" - no, you sent me just the 3rd. Now I have to go through this bullshit redress process with the seller. Amazon's fast gratification failing me.

Then, Amazon Prime Video fucked up the Season 1 of Witch From Mercury - there's no Episode 0 nor Episode 12. I talked to a CSR and they're like there's nothing I can do about this at all. Which was a shame most of the reviews on their site are about this 'glitch.' But CSR did hook me up, after watching most of it on Prime anyway, they gave me a full refund.

And I see that either by this interaction or the amazon algorithm, the price of the 11 episodes plummeted to a mere $3.49 for a minute there 😂 I thought about just rebuying it but... nah. It's already back up to its full price today - and episode 12 is now available. https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Original-Japanese/dp/B0B6BHDSLV

• Advertisement

Yeah, the Anime Limited Ultimate Editions and the US Nozomi Ultra Editions are very pricey. I thankfully got the AL sets for about €115 each. At this stage I would advise sailing the seven seas as there are rips of the sdbds from those sets available.

If you really need the dvds I'd advise looking for the two Anime Legends sets rather than the individual volumes they were originally released in.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Gundam+seed+anime+legends&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1313&Format=DVD&Language=English&_odkw=Gundam+seed&_osacat=617&_dcat=617

Well assuming my items actually arrive I spent less than $10 incl shipping on the individual DVDs, so I have basically the same discs as the anime legends box paid for already for less than that $55 bid :) Vol 3. on my desk and the one shown in their picture are the same label and product code:

It's a lovely box though I suppose.

I realized while I was trying to get in touch with the seller of these BTW that I had bought 3, 4 and 5 on Amazon, and Vol 2 on ebay. And Vol 2 still hasn't shipped ;_;

My experiences with both ebay and paypal remain perennially disappointing. Not as fun as the time Paypal froze my living money from my parents because they thought it looked like money laundering, but still, disappointing.

Yeah, they're the same discs just repackaged. The only Gundam set that has new discs in those sets is Zeta as there were issues with the subtitles on the discs in the original CE set, which is what I had. Still have all the pencil sharpeners it came with.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Similar to iron blooded orphan ? I absolutely loved that show.

If anyone is looking for anything to read Kodansha have over 200 volume 1s available on digital platforms for free.

I guess I would call the two similar, if you liked IBO you should be sure to also like WFM. Episode 0 and a few others should still be up on YouTube for a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rewatching Chainsaw Man really need to buy the manga soon, watched Buddy Daddies and Spy X Family recently too both good fun.

They did a whole ass livestream of the season (except for the 12th and controversial episode), might come down again after Season 2 gets going or the DVD is for sale

The third party I ordered my vol 2 of seed never shipped.... had to cancel and buy somewhere else.

Sold on HDR after watching Thunderbolt. They also included a “trial film” of Ultra HD remasters of small snips of Gundam The Origin, Unicorn, Wing EW, and Stardust Memory. They all looked really good, crisp, space felt really black, dust and debris looked crystal clear, but my goodness lasers were really bright, when Wing Zeros chest lights up green your eyes contract to the light emission - it was a feast for the eyes. Stardust looked a little more muted and eggwash but that seemed to be down to having a very different dynamic range and older visual style, that still advantages bright whites in spots.

Sadly even though this disc was minted in 2016 and this film trial declared it to be the “future of Gundam movies” I was disappointed they didn’t actually go and do any HDR releases outside of Awakening of the Trailblazer (still $200 - features Setsuna on the cover with glowing eyes, and has no English subs) that I can find on the market, everything is standard 2K. Chalk that up to market forces I guess and the costs of producing animation in HDR but if you have a 4K HDR capable screen the movie and those clips were a visual treat and it would be worth buying future Ultra HD releases imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Went on a bit of an isekai binge lately:

Chillin in my 30s: Quite enjoyable, a nice take on it, relaxed and fun.

The Reincarnation of the Strongest Exorcist in Another World: Fairly standard stuff until near the end and it takes a turn, which I enjoyed. The future of this one could be good.

Ningen Fushin: Another slightly different take on the genre but still standard enough.

Iceblade Sorcerer: More standard stuff.

Reborn to Master the Blade: Pretty standard stuff again, but I enjoyed it. Nothing amazing.

Misfit of Demon King Academy: Watched the 6 episodes, shame it's on hiatus.

The Last Summoner: I think it was alright. Kinda annoying sub main character in yer one.

Also got up to date with My Hero, really good season. One Piece trudging along nicely but the old school taking ages approach is just annoying now. So much wasted time. Ending better be worth all this! I worry it's set itself up for a fall, can't imagine what kind of ending would be satisfactory at this stage (I only follow the anime).

Also have Tower of Druaga and Akudama Drive in my recentish history, but can't really remember much of them...

Advertisement